• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Special Teams Kickoff Returns

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  714
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

This is another area of concern not really addressed this season.

Last night there were two huge mistakes, and one bad situation.

1) Hopkinscaught the ball just inside the goal line. Rather than take a knee and get the ball at the 25, he ran it out and was tackled at the 9. We've had this happen a few times this year. This to me is a coaching problem. With the new rule, our players should have it drilled it in their head and write it on the white board 100 times, "I will not return kicks from the endzone".

2) What the frak was that return at the end of the first half? Fall on the **** ball. We were lucky enough that FSU didn't return that for a TD and that there was no time left or they could have kicked a FG. This same thing happened in the Rutgers game where no one had a clue how to/who was supposed to get the ball.

3) After the Floyd debacle, FSU had a 15 yard Personal Foul enforced on the kick-off. So FSU was kicking from the 20 yard line. Hopkins caught the ball at the 12 and returned it 15 yards to the 27 yard line. Kinda sad that we got almost nothing out of that penalty.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  19

It has been ugly with major gaffes at Rutgers, Ball State and now FSU. And on punt returns, I don't think Mitchell has ever fully recovered from his injury last year. He looks tentative and shaky.

It has been ugly with major gaffes at Rutgers, Ball State and now FSU. And on punt returns, I don't think Mitchell has ever fully recovered from his injury last year. He looks tentative and shaky.

Not sure if he got pulled from punt duty. After he muffed that one punt, Davis returned the next one.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I have been keeping track; every game there are on average 4 ST problems.

Last night:

1. 65 yard kick off return against us

2. Hopkins dumb decision

3. Idiotic play on kickoff at the half

4. Muffed punt.

If you didnt see the broadcast the announcers said we were #118 out of 120 on KO returns.

We gave them a very short field on their first drive. Add in the Floyd fumble and the BJ INT before the half that led to the FG and we handed them 17 points.

ST is a mess.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

If anyone wants to watch this game it is being replayed in Florida on Sunshine @7:30 p.m. tonight.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  296
  • Days Won:  0

Guys on 98.7 after the game said Kloss slipped on the kickoff that lead to the long return before their first TD.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,473
  • Days Won:  25

When the head coach is afraid of the return game, what do you expect the players to do? FSU wanted us to try to return them because their coach has the confidence that they will, and obviously has coached them to, stop you inside the 25yd line.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

The only reason FSU didn't return that end-of-the-half kickoff debacle for a score is because when the team that kicked off recovers a kickoff, it is a dead ball at the spot of the recovery. I'm pretty sure one of the USF players touched that ball, which is when the clock starts; if he hadn't, and FSU recovered without USF touching it, the ball is immediately dead and technically I'm not sure if any time can even come off the clock. That was a terrible play.

Kloss definitely slipped on the first kickoff, the one that was returned.

The only reason FSU didn't return that end-of-the-half kickoff debacle for a score is because when the team that kicked off recovers a kickoff, it is a dead ball at the spot of the recovery. I'm pretty sure one of the USF players touched that ball, which is when the clock starts; if he hadn't, and FSU recovered without USF touching it, the ball is immediately dead and technically I'm not sure if any time can even come off the clock. That was a terrible play.

Kloss definitely slipped on the first kickoff, the one that was returned.

Looked up the rule. You are correct. It's a dead ball where they recover so they couldn't advance the ball. Still doesn't excuse that Charlie-Foxtrot.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

St pretty bad