• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Wally Burnham Effect

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I guess this is fun with data Friday for me....

We also had some discussions this week on the poor defensive play this year, and Burnhams name came up, so wanted to see what effect we've had since he left:

2005-2008 (Wally Burnhams years)

14-14 in Big East play

Defense averaged:

307 yds/game against

19.4 pts/game against

2.3 turnovers/game caused

2009-present

7-15 in Big East play

Defense averaged:

336 yds/game against

21.2 pts/game against

1.7 turnovers/game caused

As you can see, a decline across the board. The extra 2 pts a game may not sound like much, but thats the offense needing an extra score per game. Also, I think more importantly is the rather large decline in turnovers.

I think this is one of the things that frustrates me the most. Its bad enough to struggle, but we've seem to have lost (or are in process of losing) the one identity we use to have.....a strong dominating defense. That was always a source of pride I felt as a Bulls fan.....felt like we were building something similar to the FSU 90s teams where people feared playing that defense. Thats definitely not the case anymore.

I guess the important thing to note is that as our defense has gotten worse, so has our conference record.

Lets hope that Giddens and company can start to turn things around, I want to see people laid out in that FSU game. (Otherwise we're just on the road in need of more coaching changes....sigh).

Edited by Bullshiznitz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

I guess this is fun with data Friday for me....

We also had some discussions this week on the poor defensive play this year, and Burnhams name came up, so wanted to see what effect we've had since he left:

2005-2008 (Wally Burnhams years)

14-14 in Big East play

Defense averaged:

307 yds/game against

19.4 pts/game against

2.3 turnovers/game caused

2009-present

7-15 in Big East play

Defense averaged:

336 yds/game against

21.2 pts/game against

1.7 turnovers/game caused

As you can see, a decline across the board. The extra 2 pts a game may not sound like much, but thats the offense needing an extra score per game. Also, I think more importantly is the rather large decline in turnovers.

I think this is one of the things that frustrates me the most. Its bad enough to struggle, but we've seem to have lost (or are in process of losing) the one identity we use to have.....a strong dominating defense. That was always a source of pride I felt as a Bulls fan.....felt like we were building something similar to the FSU 90s teams where people feared playing that defense. Thats definitely not the case anymore.

I guess the important thing to note is that as our defense has gotten worse, so has our conference record.

Lets hope that Giddens and company can start to turn things around, I want to see people laid out in that FSU game. (Otherwise we're just on the road in need of more coaching changes....sigh).

Great post. I remember having a real strong confidence in the defense. It felt like we could count on them for a 3 and out or to force a turnover when we needed it--not every time, but a lot more often.

Yeah, and thing I forgot to add, is that the defense was facing much more dangerous offenses back then too (during Burnhams years). Offenses led by Ray Rice, Kenny Britt, Steve Slaton, Pat White, Lesean McCoy, Michael Bush, Brian Brohm, etc... and we still performed better.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I was a WB hater, not sure why now, but I sure do miss his defenses

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

Walked into the Grand Sierra in Reno, saw the O/U was 56. I said "There's now way they get close to that with our defense."

Excuse me while I copy and paste this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

I don't think I equate a 2-point change in average scoring defense with going from 14-14 to 7-15 ... would think there are other areas where there's been a more significant dropoff. Are those Big East-only stats or for entire season? Sometimes can see a big difference between the two ... good thinking, though.

I don't think I equate a 2-point change in average scoring defense with going from 14-14 to 7-15 ... would think there are other areas where there's been a more significant dropoff. Are those Big East-only stats or for entire season? Sometimes can see a big difference between the two ... good thinking, though.

No and I would agree. I think TO margin is more telling.

However, you are correct, I just did a down and dirty of overall stats for the year, not just for the Big East (assuming the change would be somewhat similar throughout the year). I'll think I'll go ahead next week, and just load all of these stats in a spreadsheet for easier reference next time (fortunately or unfortunately for you all, I'm an out of work engineering consultant, so I have too much time on my hands right now.....lol).

I do think the agression (or lack there of) with the defense since Burnham has left has made an impact on the defense, and the way other teams approach our defense.

I'll put the Big East numbers together next week though to see if that makes much of a difference either way.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

Good stuff. I would like to see sacks and TFL.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

14-14 to 7-15 .... both stink... lots of underachieving in big east play regardless.