• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future Athletic Director....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf needs someone that has worked in a top 25 football program for years

SOMEONE HAS TO TAKE USF TO THE NEXT LEVEL

WE ARE LOOKING MORE AND MORE LIKE ORLANDO SCHOOL

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

AD is nothing but a fundraiser, scheduler, and help make hires. hell they hire consultants now for hiring coaches.

AD is not brain surgery.

Vandy doesn't even have one. a professor does it part time.

Yeah, I just read the most ignorant thing I've seen in awhile.

what that it's not brain surgery or that vandy doesn't even have one. they use a professor to do it part time?

http://news.vanderbi...e-in-athletics/

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

AD is nothing but a fundraiser, scheduler, and help make hires. hell they hire consultants now for hiring coaches.

AD is not brain surgery.

what that it's not brain surgery or that vandy doesn't even have one. they use a professor to do it part time?

he's a faculty member of their law school.

look at everything else he's involved in. he's on the board of directors for the nashville branch of the federal reserve board.

it's a part time gig for him. look at all the titles he has for doing something completely unrelated to their sport department.

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/williams

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Vandy has an AD. They don't have a specific athletic department

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

AD is not brain surgery.

he's a faculty member of their law school.

look at everything else he's involved in. he's on the board of directors for the nashville branch of the federal reserve board.

it's a part time gig for him. look at all the titles he has for doing something completely unrelated to their sport department.

http://law.vanderbilt.edu/williams

“By every measure, the game has changed for Vanderbilt athletics over the past nine years. Our efforts to ensure that Vanderbilt athletes are students first have paid off on the playing field, in recruiting, in the classroom and across our campus. This success is largely thanks toDavid Williams,†Zeppos said in announcing that Williams will serve as vice chancellor for athletics and university affairs and athletics director. “It is important now that his many other duties be assumed by others so that he can focus his efforts on maintaining and building on this momentum.â€

Vandy has an AD. They don't have a specific athletic department

sure they gave him the title this year after what 6 years without one? come on. he's a law professor.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

He was still carrying the load. On top of that Vandy is one school of 300+ D-I schools that doesn't have an athletic Dept.

The AD is a tough gig.

He was still carrying the load. On top of that Vandy is one school of 300+ D-I schools that doesn't have an athletic Dept.

The AD is a tough gig.

I'm old school I gues. I still think coaches should teach classes. Fitch should be teaching drivers ed.

The AD is a tough gig.

not sure how tough. no way woolard should earn as much as genshaft though. doesn't do near the work or have near the impact or responsibility of running a university.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

For the record LRS, as much as I openly admire him, was not the AD when USF Football got their foot in the door. He played a role in getting into the Big East, but he was not the AD that got the program going and in the right direction - that was Paul Griffin.

I quoted Bulliever because Paul Griffin does not get the credit he deserves in the public eye. Forget about the Big East, we almost didn't get into Conference USA (remember, we didn't have football back then). Without the invite to C-USA, there would be no Big East and maybe no football. At least not big time football. We could be playing our rival Jacksonville this week and Samford next week (note that I didn't say Stanford).

Mr. Selmon was a man who lived his life in the public eye who wanted to keep parts of his life private, which included his health. He told us that he stepped down from the AD role at USF Athletics because of his health and asked for respect for his privacy beyond that. He certainly has the right and reasonable expectation that his health does not belong in the public domain. I have no reason to doubt what he said. He passed away much too early (and statistically young) - that would seem to give further credit to his reasons for stepping down.

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

For the record LRS, as much as I openly admire him, was not the AD when USF Football got their foot in the door. He played a role in getting into the Big East, but he was not the AD that got the program going and in the right direction - that was Paul Griffin.

I quoted Bulliever because Paul Griffin does not get the credit he deserves in the public eye. Forget about the Big East, we almost didn't get into Conference USA (remember, we didn't have football back then). Without the invite to C-USA, there would be no Big East and maybe no football. At least not big time football. We could be playing our rival Jacksonville this week and Samford next week (note that I didn't say Stanford).

Mr. Selmon was a man who lived his life in the public eye who wanted to keep parts of his life private, which included his health. He told us that he stepped down from the AD role at USF Athletics because of his health and asked for respect for his privacy beyond that. He certainly has the right and reasonable expectation that his health does not belong in the public domain. I have no reason to doubt what he said. He passed away much too early (and statistically young) - that would seem to give further credit to his reasons for stepping down.

IMO-- LRS did as good a job as can be expected as an AD for USF given his limited experience in the role. He took the job to help USF transition from a difficult situation (Paul Girffin being the scapegoat of a women's bb coaching issue). I do not believe his intention was to be in that role any longer than he served. In fact, it may have gone on much longer than he wanted. I base this on some discussions I had with him as a fan at various events. One hell of a great guy who I know we all miss very much. He meant a ton to this school. But the bottom line is that he was not a seasoned AD. He did his best. Some things were not the best moves for our football program (a litany of payday games, not having 12 game seasons immediately when it was possible, general scheduling issues, and possibly the hiring of Coach McCullum-- which was not entirely bad had we stayed in CUSA-- i.e. who could have known we were heading into the Big East when he was hired). Overall-- as and AD-- LRS was average. As one of the faces of the program-- he was irreplaceable. But he was that from the start. He never intended on being the AD- it kind of fell into his lap and he took on the challenge.

Mike--

Based on your interaction with him, would you agree with my assessment of why LRS became USF's AD in the first place? My viewpoint was much more limited than yours and I would respect your opinion on this.

PS-- I don't understand all the angst about Doug Woolard/ I can only think of two things he has been involved with that I was not very happy with (firing CJL and Holtz extension). All in all-- he has been an asset as an AD.