• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future Athletic Director....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

I was just interviewing Derrick Brooks on the radio show I do every Thursday night. After gushing over the return of FSU football I asked him if offered would he accept the position of athletic director at USF and without saying yes, he pretty much said that he would. He said that he would have to strongly consider it and it would be an honor to follow in the footsteps of Lee Roy Selmon and continue to build upon what LRS started. Not saying it would happen, but I would love to see it!

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

What other established college athletic department has an AD with no administrative experience prior to getting that job, pro athlete or otherwise? Brooks seems like a smart guy, I guess, but there are lots of smart guys out there. What qualifications does Brooks have to manage a whole athletic department?

Lee Roy Selmon was great for USF when it was getting its foot in the door in football. But it's no coincidence, in my opinion, that he was moved to a fundraising role and a new AD was hired as soon as USF got invited to a BCS league and perhaps a bit more nuance was required of the position. I think Woolard has done a good job so far. The only objection I have is Holtz's contract extension, but the jury's still out on that one.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565

Lee Roy Selmon was great for USF when it was getting its foot in the door in football. But it's no coincidence, in my opinion, that he was moved to a fundraising role and a new AD was hired as soon as USF got invited to a BCS league

He had to step down for health reasons

Lee Roy Selmon was great for USF when it was getting its foot in the door in football. But it's no coincidence, in my opinion, that he was moved to a fundraising role and a new AD was hired as soon as USF got invited to a BCS league

He had to step down for health reasons

I know that's the reason he gave. I'm skeptical. I was working as a journalist in Tampa at the time and among colleagues the immediate question when the Big East move was announced was, "they have to replace Selmon, right?" Then a few weeks later, suddenly he had health issues. I also remember him at that press conference refusing to get into specifics saying something to the effect of, "please respect me and my family's privacy." Then in the next day's Tribune Dewey Selmon was blabbing away about this heart condition Selmon all of a sudden had. What happened to his wish for privacy?

Anyway, you're free to decide for yourself, I certainly don't have any proof or anything and I have nothing but love for Selmon. The point I do want to make though is that I think USF's AD at this point needs more qualifications than "was a famous athlete at one point in time."

Edited by gobulls83
  • Upvote 1

Derrick Brooks is President of the Tampa Bay Storm, is educated, does charitable work including fundraising. I think he would be an excellent candidate for the job, just have a good Associate AD working with him and you are money.

Derrick Brooks is President of the Tampa Bay Storm.

I didn't know that. Certainly could be applicable. I don't mean to slight Brooks, he has seemed nothing but intelligent every time I've ever seen him interviewed.

And his amazing 2002 season (and career) is still the stuff of lore among me and my friends, even though I'm not really a Bucs fan anymore. His touchdown in the Super Bowl was the second greatest moment in Bucs history behind Barber's touchdown against the Eagles in the NFC title game that year.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Derrick Brooks is President of the Tampa Bay Storm, is educated, does charitable work including fundraising. I think he would be an excellent candidate for the job, just have a good Associate AD working with him and you are money.

I believe he's also on the Board of Trustees at FSU. Could be mistaken though.

Yes, also on the Board of Trustees for FSU. He is absolutely qualified, IMO.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Never worked in major college sports. Runs an arena league team. Totally qualified because he played for the Bucs, though. Totally.

(and no BOT at FSU isn't working in college sports)