• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Thusday Night Money

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,700
  • Days Won:  108

We all know that the RU game was originally scheduled for Sat and was changed to Thursday night. Does any one know how much more money we received for offering ourselves up for slaughter? Can't believe it can be significantly more but would be interested.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Are you sure the teams actually get more money? The television contract presumably is for a certain number of Thursday night games, and the Big East then schedules them (I'm sure with some input from ESPN). So the payment is the television deal. That's my guess anyway, I've never heard anything about getting extra money.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780

Are you sure the teams actually get more money? The television contract presumably is for a certain number of Thursday night games, and the Big East then schedules them (I'm sure with some input from ESPN). So the payment is the television deal. That's my guess anyway, I've never heard anything about getting extra money.

I think you are right on this, but could be wrong.

I thought extra cash was involved. Is every BE team forced to play a Thur night game as part of the contract? That's why I'm asking. Thought more cash was involved but IDK

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475

I thought extra cash was involved. Is every BE team forced to play a Thur night game as part of the contract? That's why I'm asking. Thought more cash was involved but IDK

By team, number of weeknight games:

Pitt - 3 (two Friday, one Thursday)

Syracuse - 3 (all on Friday)

Louisville - 2 (one Friday, one Thursday)

USF - 2 (one Friday, one Thursday)

Cincinnati - 3 (two Friday, one Thursday)

UConn - 2 (both Friday)

Rutgers - 2 (both Thursday)

Temple - 1 (Friday - actually, Temple plays twice on Friday, but one is not a Big East game)

So all eight teams have at least one weeknight game, all but Temple have more than one. It is pretty evenly distributed.

It would seem to me that the only way a team gets more money is if the Big East doesn't distribute the television money evenly among all the teams, but I'm pretty sure the league does. I've never read anything suggesting otherwise and can't find anything quickly via Google to that effect.

• Topic Count:  696
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Hope we end up with BE on CBS so we can get rid of this Thurs/Fri crap.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I thought home team got an extra 100k for hosting a Big East weeknighter

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Hope we end up with BE on CBS so we can get rid of this Thurs/Fri crap.

Any NBC deal would probably include a Thursday night game package on NBC Sports. I can't see them spending all that money without it

I thought home team got an extra 100k for hosting a Big East weeknighter

That was the number I had in the back of my mind as well. But I'm old and suffer from CRS.