• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

remember brion carnes?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Landi was only a QB out of necessity, because Leavitt decided not to recruit any.

See, that's ironic in this thread because Leavitt recruited Carnes. Skip couldn't keep him, but as I remember it, he was fully committed to Leavitt.

Also, BJ was the number 8 dual threat recruit in the country. So... yeah... the whole 'Leavitt didn't recruit any QBs' argument has more holes in it than our secondary on 3rd down and long.

LOLOLOLOL

Carnes wasn't fully committed to Leavitt. Nebraska had other QB recruits. When those fell through they went after Carnes late and turned him. Carnes dropped USF, not Holtz.

Revisionist history never takes a rest.

How many scholarship QBs were on the roster when Holtz took over? You can even count Carnes, and the answer would be TWO. Tell me again how Leavitt had stocked up on QBs.

OK, who would have had a better chance of keeping him, the coach he had a relationship with, or the guy that never spoke to him before?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

you don't really believe that do u?

I think he had the nebraska offer for a long time

Nope. The Nebraska offer came very late when their other options dried up. Carnes had committed to USF, then Nebraska became interested very late after they lost other recruits at the position. USF needed a QB signee, and were about to dropped at the last minute by Carnes. They dropped Carnes because they did not want to play the same games with another commit that Carnes was playing with them. Go look it up. As I recall, Carnes ended up signing with them after Signing Day, because Nebraska hadn't offered yet. But he wasn't going to sign with USF as long as Nebraska was a possibility.

Actually, Carnes commited to Western Kentucky after we dropped him and then on Signing Day stiffed them for Nebraska ...

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Forgot to answer the second part on scholarship QBs here when Skip came in... when your starter is going to be a sophomore, you wouldn't necessarily need to stock up on QBs, and for reference, Landi was recruited as a QB and practicing at that position at the time, and he was on scholly, so, counting Carnes, that would be 3, exactly one more than Skip has right now with a 12th year senior starter.

Its all a guess, but I firmly believe that Carnes would have signed with Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Carnes never committed to WKU, he did visit there after Willie Taggart was hired as HC there. Taggart ws a manatee county guy and got an official visit. Holtz pulled the scholarship offer right before the official visit.

As for stockpiling QBs, BJ signed in Feb 2008 after grothe's sophomore year. In October 2008 leavitt took a commitment from carnes who was a junior in high school. With grothe in his junior year, BJ as a freshman and carnes committed for the february 2010 class, leavitt went all in on geno smith. Geno goes to WVU in February 2009. After grothe gets hurt, leavitt still has BJ, has carnes committed but is also looking at some other QBs. He gets fired, carnes gets his scholly pulled and Holtz brings in gunsby.

Somewhere in all that Alton Voss gets on campus and then leaves.

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

Carnes never committed to WKU,

There are quite a few sources out there that disagree with that, including a local paper ....

Brion Carnes has made his choice.

The Manatee High quarterback said Saturday he has committed to Western Kentucky, where he was taking his official visit this weekend.

http://www.bradenton...n-kentucky.html

Read more here: http://www.bradenton...l#storylink=cpy

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I did not remember it that way, but you're right.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I was talking to Bull-By-Marriage about this the other day. A big mistake made by the coaches was taking away BJs only competition at the position. While we needed the numbers at WR, we could have had a QB competition every year with Landi as the number 2 guy. It would have been a fun 3 years of the two of them competing.

Remember the 1st spring game when BJ and Landi were first here. Didn't see a big difference between the two at that scrimmage. At least Landi was tall enough to see over the middle.

why do people think BJ doesn't work at it? competition doesn't make you better automatically. remember the offense against UF in first half. that was the only time I ever thought our coaches game planned and called plays like a top notch staff. especially with the talent we have,.

brion carnes was awful in high school. he was an athelte no different than Bj only I think he was smaller. remember Jeff Godfrey? yeah he's on UCfs bench now. sad we missed out on him.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Have to agree with 94.... Carnes was not a good QB... had the same issues that BJ has (Can't think the game and gets spooked). The fact that he's playing WR at Nebraska only proves that point.

And stop bringing up Tyler Cameron... last time I looked he sucked in HS... went to Wake for the education and as far as I can tell hasn't done squat. If you talked to him in person you would know that he thought he was a heck of alot better than he was.

Look I think BJ has an issue with the mental side of the game... and obviously isn't the be all end all of QB's... but USF as a program is better off that both Carnes and Cameron ended up elsewhere.

• Topic Count:  103
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

All of this is irrelevant and sour grapes. BJ and USF has not improved in the last 4-6 years. We've been consistently average and one recruit cannot change a thing.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  150
  • Days Won:  1

Landi was only a QB out of necessity, because Leavitt decided not to recruit any.

See, that's ironic in this thread because Leavitt recruited Carnes. Skip couldn't keep him, but as I remember it, he was fully committed to Leavitt.

Also, BJ was the number 8 dual threat recruit in the country. So... yeah... the whole 'Leavitt didn't recruit any QBs' argument has more holes in it than our secondary on 3rd down and long.

LOLOLOLOL

Carnes wasn't fully committed to Leavitt. Nebraska had other QB recruits. When those fell through they went after Carnes late and turned him. Carnes dropped USF, not Holtz.

Revisionist history never takes a rest.

How many scholarship QBs were on the roster when Holtz took over? You can even count Carnes, and the answer would be TWO. Tell me again how Leavitt had stocked up on QBs.

How many Scholarship QB's has holtz added? Seems the edge on that bit cuts both ways.