• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Injury Update?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

I felt horrible for the Tulane safety who fractured his neck and stopped breathing on the way to the hospital. My understanding is they did an emergency trache on the field. Injuries like that are the reason calls are made like the one against Barrington. Err on the side of caution, if it stops him from doing that type hit again, possibly misjudging the next time he does it and someone suffers a serious injury. The refs don't have instant replay on flags too so you don't know what they saw. It looked like he launched with his head down though, very dangerous to both involved whither he hit helmet to helmet or not.

The guy from Tulane got hurt on a freak play (hit by his own player). What Sam did is what this game has been doing for the last 25 years at least.

and he DID everything right. He turned his shoulder so he hit with pads and not helmet. If they outlaw that type of play they might as well just put flags around their waists. It is football....guys are going to get hurt. it is the natural of the game. they know what they signed up for. if you don't want to get hurt then play golf.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

I watched that play on Sam and it didn't look like any helmet came into contact with another helmet...regardless of that awful penalty call.

Yep, that was a straight shoulder pad hit. Maybe it was the "defenseless player" rule?

They definitely called it helmet-to-helmet .... even the announcers questioned it.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I'll see if Webster is on crutches when they get back... That will tell alot.

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

I could see where from the wrong angle that could be seen as helmet to helmet, it looked like Sam launched at him.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I hope the safety from Tulane is ok. Anyone hear anything on him?

Broken neck and collapsed lung. Had to do an emergency tracheotomy on the field. He will undergo surgery in the neck few days. Depending on the break he could more than likely be paralyzed similar to the Rutgers player but far worse. With a tracheotomy and being revived having to be performed it ain't good news coming.

Edited by deters-

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

If Barrington's hit was helmet to helmet, it wasn't by much - maybe a slight, glancing blow. I was more worried about his clavicle when I first saw the hit.

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,672
  • Days Won:  424

I could see where from the wrong angle that could be seen as helmet to helmet, it looked like Sam launched at him.

he definitely launched at him but it sure looked like led with his right shoulder ...

• Topic Count:  576
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

lots of bad injuries today ;/

• Topic Count:  554
  • Content Count:  14,411
  • Days Won:  13

As Holtz said before this season, this team is finally 2 deep pretty much all the way around with BCS level players. Those skilled back ups, late in the game, played key roles in the win by doing their jobs well.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

As Holtz said before this season, this team is finally 2 deep pretty much all the way around with BCS level players. Those skilled back ups, late in the game, played key roles in the win by doing their jobs well.

Did anyone see Damien Edwards at the line on that Lamar TD. He manhandled the DEnd.