• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Waverly Austin Not Eligible

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

That's a shocker. Ruled ineligible by the academic committee. We haven't had many of those this late after the committed knocked out a bunch of football and basketball recruits shortly after it was formed. Really strange that someone with an AA couldn't qualify to get into USF. That would seem to be almost automatic.

Not quite!

"In the state of Florida, an Associate of Arts degree (AA degree) guarantees you acceptance into a state of Florida university, but it does not guarantee acceptance into the particular university or program of your choice."

Where is that quoted from? If it isn't available electronically could you look up how a student is supposed to know which school they are accepted into?

Also regardless of athletics that would truly suck for the student that works their way through a two year degree only to be told the school they can attend is on the other side of state. Seems pretty shady regardless of athletics.

Edited by BullTiger

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

didnt this happen before to another big recruit? and it was like 3 days before class?

Yep, third time in five years this has happened.

who were the others....i forget...and more importantly- did they get accepted to another program and how have they done academically

It's on GA's blog, linked above, but here's the link again: http://www.tampabay....ible-play-bulls

those arent the guys i was thinking of. i want to say that this was someone specifcally denied by the Academic Committee and I thought it was a football player

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751
  • Days Won:  2

That's a shocker. Ruled ineligible by the academic committee. We haven't had many of those this late after the committed knocked out a bunch of football and basketball recruits shortly after it was formed. Really strange that someone with an AA couldn't qualify to get into USF. That would seem to be almost automatic.

Not quite!

"In the state of Florida, an Associate of Arts degree (AA degree) guarantees you acceptance into a state of Florida university, but it does not guarantee acceptance into the particular university or program of your choice."

Where is that quoted from? If it isn't available electronically could you look up how a student is supposed to know which school they are accepted into?

Also regardless of athletics that would truly suck for the student that works their way through a two year degree only to be told the school they can attend is on the other side of state. Seems pretty shady regardless of athletics.

http://www.docstoc.c...Articulation���

See page 1.

Here's USF's admission requirements for transfer students with an AA/AS.

"

To be considered for admission, all transfer applicants are required to have successfully completed a minimum of 67 percent of all credit hours attempted at currently and previously enrolled institutions. In addition, a minimum GPA of 2.50 is required. Exceptions include:

• Upper-level applicants with an AA/AS degree from Hillsborough Community College, St. Petersburg College or Pasco Hernando Community College. Applicants from these schools must have a minimum GPA of 2.00*
  • Students with an AA/AS degree from a Florida System College who intend to major in Public Health, General Studies or Information Science. These students must have a minimum GPA of 2.00.

*per the Consortium Agreement entered into by USF, Hillsborough Community College, St. Petersburg College and Pasco Hernando Community College.

http://usfweb2.usf.e...quirements.html

BTW, he attended JC (Palm Beach State College) on the other side of the state.

Edited by mviusa

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  183
  • Days Won:  0

didnt this happen before to another big recruit? and it was like 3 days before class?

who were the others....i forget...and more importantly- did they get accepted to another program and how have they done academically

It's on GA's blog, linked above, but here's the link again: http://www.tampabay....ible-play-bulls

those arent the guys i was thinking of. i want to say that this was someone specifcally denied by the Academic Committee and I thought it was a football player

Maybe Mike Hayes from Texas juco who ended up at Houston?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751

Some smug academic jack ass, must be pretty proud of him or herself for saving the academic reputation of the University by blocking 1 of 48,000 students with slightly questionable grades...

Someone grab them a metal... and beat them with it.

It's not that they blocked him, it's that they waited till the last minute to block him. They should have known MONTHS ago, back in March/April/May, not in late August.

When did he graduate from Palm Beach College? When did he apply to USF,, and provide all the necessary documentation?

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Karman Joyer who now plays OL for Louisville had the same thing happen to him but right out of high school a few years back

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

He's coming with an AA from a Florida Community college, acceptance should have been a no-brainer. There has to be up with his diploma that the academic committee didn't like.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913

Joyer had issues with grade changes on his high school transcript.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I'm pretty sure a 2.0 is needed to play NCAA sports, and I would assume same is needed for NJCAA. So that would mean he needs a 2.0 to play and would be fine to transfer. I said this in the other thread, but he was taking classes this summer here (or HCC?), this is a ******* joke and is ********. I feel awful for Waverly. Don't know how prepared USF is for this.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I'm pretty sure a 2.0 is needed to play NCAA sports, and I would assume same is needed for NJCAA. So that would mean he needs a 2.0 to play and would be fine to transfer. I said this in the other thread, but he was taking classes this summer here (or HCC?), this is a ******* joke and is ********. I feel awful for Waverly. Don't know how prepared USF is for this.

I think some places require like a 2.4 or 2.5 to remain eligible or to clear the academic board.