• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Building Tradition at USF: Anything Being Implemented?

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Flip, I agree we could make it a USF tradition.

mviusa, I was using the Tampa/Bay chant as an example at how it works. Of course, if you read 'Flip's post you would see that I was responding to his suggestion that we bring back the Gree/Gold chant that mimmicks the Tampa/Bay chant.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I liked the green gold chant...... I think we should be able to do Tampa Bay as well.... USF represents Tampa Bay as the main college in this region.... jmo

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

and now that they've pretty much officially eliminated the original Brahma Bull in favor of a more spanish type bull I doubt it's going anywhere.

There's no live bull even on the table due to liability reasons and TSA having a stick up its ass. So I'm curious about where you're even getting this information from?

Not sure what you're getting at... I know we're never going to have a live bull at RJS... I was addressing that. I was addressing the change of mascot by the university from the original historical Brahma bull to the more Spanish looking bull they're transitioning to.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

and now that they've pretty much officially eliminated the original Brahma Bull in favor of a more spanish type bull I doubt it's going anywhere.

There's no live bull even on the table due to liability reasons and TSA having a stick up its ass. So I'm curious about where you're even getting this information from?

What, you mean Rocky is not "live"?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  751

I'll say it again, bring back the GREEN and GOLD chant. It's not that difficult.

Not a USF tradition, but I remember doing the Tampa...Bay chant at Rowdies games in the 70's. It can get quite loud with a full stadium.

It would be a tradition if we brought it back and used it all the time.

I'm not aware of any law, USF policy, or TSA rule that prohibits anyone from doing the Green - Gold chant...All it requires is student or fan initiative, not AD approval/sanction.

• Topic Count:  2,345
  • Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

I have not heard anything myself and I asked some of my friends that work in Athletics... apparently from what I have heard from my sources some of the brass has decided to ignore this "Building Tradition" group because (a) they did not think of it, and ( B) it runs counter to some of their own wishes. These are not my words, these are the words of my buds who work in Athletics.

For example my buds told me that a number of the Athletics brass was not too happy that the "Building Tradition" polls showed that the majority of Bulls fans wanted a live Bull at games, increased tailgate hours, and other things.

I hope that my bud's are wrong and that the brass is seriously looking into figuring out how to implement these things vs. ignoring this group and the voices of the fans.

Classic USF Athletics. I came up with a great idea and pitched it. A similar idea was pitched by the varsity club and they shot it down. If they don't think of it they don't like it.

What was your idea?

Senior Athletes that are graduating but not going pro need to get integrated into the business community. I had a solution for that plus would bring more companies in to work with the Athletics department.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17
  • Days Won:  0

I think it is an extremely important issue to create a tradition at USF. This will be my first year not sitting in the student section and I have to say I'm kinda happy. My freshman year at USF was awesome. Camping out for USF/WVU student tickets was one of my most memorable moments at USF. My first two years in the student section were a great experience and my last 2 years in the student section were boring/lifeless. I remember learning the chant "We're going to beat the hell out of you you you you you" my freshman year. Though it might not have been great sportsmanship it really got the student section fired up when the band played that song. Maybe I'm just ranting but again my first two years at USF were way better than my last two years.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know, but I feel that in game traditions really need to start organically. You cannot build tradition by committee. The true traditions within the stadium, the "fun" things usually come from the students, and probably the Greeks who start chants, gaytor chomps, hatchet swings, etc. There are some that the school can do, i.e. the war eagle flight at Auburn, but is simply having a Bull on the sidelines a tradition?

Personally, I like the opening running of the bulls. I thought that the team needed to come in to the spanish flair of a bull fight, and what we have now is a tradition. It does not have the impact you like because the stands are still half empty when the team comes in. Also, as much as I love it being on the team side, our students are as far away as possible for the team entrance so we lose impact there too.

Years ago I went to the Outback Bowl when Wisconsin played. Their fans and cheerleaders did the most incedible routines with the wave I have ever seen. I am not a wave fan per-se, but their cheerleaders directed them into a 5 minute wave routine that had them speed up, slow down, split in two directions, wind from the lower to the upper deck, all kinds of crap like it was an olympic dance routine or something.

These come from fans being engaged and dedicated. I think sometimes our biggest fan tradition is calling over the beer guy.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Not sure what you're getting at... I know we're never going to have a live bull at RJS... I was addressing that. I was addressing the change of mascot by the university from the original historical Brahma bull to the more Spanish looking bull they're transitioning to.

Right, where are you getting that the university is transitioning from a Brahma to a Spanish bull? I've never heard of such a thing. The closest thing that resembles "Spanish anything" is the running of the bulls ceremony that's done prior to kick off.

• Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  2,187

I think it is an extremely important issue to create a tradition at USF. This will be my first year not sitting in the student section and I have to say I'm kinda happy. My freshman year at USF was awesome. Camping out for USF/WVU student tickets was one of my most memorable moments at USF. My first two years in the student section were a great experience and my last 2 years in the student section were boring/lifeless. I remember learning the chant "We're going to beat the hell out of you you you you you" my freshman year. Though it might not have been great sportsmanship it really got the student section fired up when the band played that song. Maybe I'm just ranting but again my first two years at USF were way better than my last two years.

I had it backwards (graduated in 08). When I started there were maybe a couple thousand students in the student section. Fast forward a couple years and we lined up two hours before gates opened to get our same seats we used to walk up 15 minutes before the game to get.