• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Discussion on recruiting in regards to this board and compliance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Seems to have been speaking in general termssnd not to a specific recruit so if recruits do post their decisions here the ncaa could not prove it was because his comment maybe they just wanted to don't think the ncaa would persue something as ambiguous as that. It would be a good way to establish a relationship with the fans as long as they post on their own accord

Yeah, but if there is even the hint of a possible recruiting violation it is something to steer clear of. Until there is clear direction from the NCAA, it is far more prudent to play it safe and not get USF in trouble over something minor.

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Under the definition of booster, my guess is the majority of this board qualifies. Definitely the owner of this board is a booster.

Doubt you could coordinate a kid to announce his decision on this board without running afoul of the NCAA rules for contact.

That means all the paysites and newspapers( both filled with boosters) are currently violating NCAA rules. This is a ridiculous argument. The kids can announce their decisions wherever they please. The have been doing it forever.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

Seems to have been speaking in general termssnd not to a specific recruit so if recruits do post their decisions here the ncaa could not prove it was because his comment maybe they just wanted to don't think the ncaa would persue something as ambiguous as that. It would be a good way to establish a relationship with the fans as long as they post on their own accord

The invitation wasn't the problem. The problem COULD be if an unsigned recruit came on here and announced, then interacted with those here, most of whom are considered USF athletics representatives. All I said was that he should maybe check with someone to make sure it wouldn't be a problem. From the Bulls Club website http://www.mybullscl...hould-know.aspx :

What are the general rules regarding recruiting and boosters?

Boosters are prohibited from involvement in recruiting prospective student-athletes. A prospective student-athlete is anyone who has started seventh grade classes for men's basketball, or ninth grade classes for all other sports. Boosters should contact USF Athletics staff about any questions in this regard, and refrain from attempting to contact any prospect or to influence his or her decision to attend USF. Such contact includes activity on Facebook or other social networking sites.

Please contact the USF Athletics Compliance staff with any questions about rules governing booster contact with prospective or current student-athletes and their family and friends:

Steve Horton, Associate Athletics Director: (813) 974-6858 Horton@usf.edu Rick Stumpf, Assistant Athletics Director, Compliance: (813) 974-4061 RStumpf@usf.edu

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Does this include contact with a recruit's parents in said social networking site?

Does this include contact with a recruit's parents in said social networking site?

I couldn't find anything about that being taboo.... as long as we're not giving him bags of money.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  423
  • Days Won:  1

The invitation wasn't the problem. The problem COULD be if an unsigned recruit came on here and announced, then interacted with those here, most of whom are considered USF athletics representatives. All I said was that he should maybe check with someone to make sure it wouldn't be a problem. From the Bulls Club website http://www.mybullscl...hould-know.aspx :

Boosters are prohibited from involvement in recruiting prospective student-athletes. A prospective student-athlete is anyone who has started seventh grade classes for men's basketball, or ninth grade classes for all other sports. Boosters should contact USF Athletics staff about any questions in this regard, and refrain from attempting to contact any prospect or to influence his or her decision to attend USF. Such contact includes activity on Facebook or other social networking sites.

Please contact the USF Athletics Compliance staff with any questions about rules governing booster contact with prospective or current student-athletes and their family and friends:

Steve Horton, Associate Athletics Director: (813) 974-6858 Horton@usf.edu Rick Stumpf, Assistant Athletics Director, Compliance: (813) 974-4061 RStumpf@usf.edu

If that is the case then yes it would seem that scout, rivals, espn, 247, maxprep and all other sites can be a conduit for illegal contact. Maybe it only applies to those sites affiliated with schools. I guess its better to be safe than sorry. Does it matter of the kid has verbally committed or signed a L O I .

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  924
  • Days Won:  1

If that is the case then yes it would seem that scout, rivals, espn, 247, maxprep and all other sites can be a conduit for illegal contact. Maybe it only applies to those sites affiliated with schools. I guess its better to be safe than sorry. Does it matter of the kid has verbally committed or signed a L O I .

if the kid signed a LOI or is enrolled early then yes contact is permitted but just committed is under the same rule

If that is the case then yes it would seem that scout, rivals, espn, 247, maxprep and all other sites can be a conduit for illegal contact. Maybe it only applies to those sites affiliated with schools. I guess its better to be safe than sorry.

Bottom line, that's it ...

Does it matter of the kid has verbally committed or signed a L O I .

This is all stuff pertaining to before an LOI is signed ...

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I couldn't find anything about that being taboo.... as long as we're not giving him bags of money.

Whoops. Dad it looks like they are gonna kick you off the site as well. Sorry, really loved your input. Good luck with your son.

Only institutional staff members are permitted to recruit prospective student-athletes. Generally, NCAA rules prohibit anyone else from contacting (calling, writing or in-person contact) prospects or the prospect’s relatives or guardian for recruiting purposes.

I would also assume that contacting prospective recruits, like Josh Grady and Chris Bivins, numerous times via twitter, would be included as well.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

Absolutely right... which is why this same point was brought up last year and the year before that.

I can speak to this directly because I went to USF compliance and asked last year.... let me be clear.

Your post above is considered contact as is contacting via twitter or facebook. It does not have to be directed at a specific athlete.

Mr. Woulard... I enjoy the insight you can offer as do many others, but until your son signs his LOI you're walking a very fine line from what I understand.

I can not speak for Brad.... just passing along what I was told from USF Compliance.