• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Discussion on recruiting in regards to this board and compliance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

A newspaper reporter would not be considered a representative of a school's interests by NCAA guidelines.

Edited by Greg Auman

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Absolutely right... which is why this same point was brought up last year and the year before that.

I can speak to this directly because I went to USF compliance and asked last year.... let me be clear.

Your post above is considered contact as is contacting via twitter or facebook. It does not have to be directed at a specific athlete.

Mr. Woulard... I enjoy the insight you can offer as do many others, but until your son signs his LOI you're walking a very fine line from what I understand.

I can not speak for Brad.... just passing along what I was told from USF Compliance.

So Southie, explain this to me. How does Chip Brown, an obvious UT booster, contact recruits about their decision making process?

A newspaper reporter would not be considered a representative of a school's interests by NCAA guidelines.

I expected that there is a media exception to the rule. But when does media become Social Media and is that even a "bright line". Does twitter count? Many of these recruits are announcing their intentions on twitter and are subsequently contacted by huge numbers of boosters. There doesn't seem to be any kind of clear guidance on this and I am not sure there even can be. The lines between booster and media are not only blurry, they are largely non-existent.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

I can't speak for UT or Chip Brown... that's UT's situation.

Also, Greg answered your question about the pay sites... those guys are considered reporters under NCAA guidelines.

All I can speak to is USF and it's recruits which are who you directed your post to.

I expected that there is a media exception to the rule. But when does media become Social Media and is that even a "bright line". Does twitter count? Many of these recruits are announcing their intentions on twitter and are subsequently contacted by huge numbers of boosters. There doesn't seem to be any kind of clear guidance on this and I am not sure there even can be. The lines between booster and media are not only blurry, they are largely non-existent.

The line is there... it's just selectively enforced much like many of the NCAA's rules are. Until a recruit signs his LOI, contact is not premitted via twitter, facebook, message board or any other avenue by any booster.

Also, Greg answered your question about the pay sites... those guys are considered reporters under NCAA guidelines

Greg clearly said "newspaper reporters". I believe his distinction was quite deliberate. So if I start a site with 2 subscribers charging 10 cents per month, I can go to town, promoting USF to prospective recruits. Sky's the limit. I think I'll call it Bill's Bull's Balls, The USF Sports Recruiting Network. So, you guy's don't rush out an register my domain name. RockyMountainOysters.com

Newspaper... TV... Internet... it's all Press. I get that you're hung up on pay sites like Rivals, Scout and 247... but The Times and Mother Trib and for that fact The Bullspen are in the same category... it's just that instead of you being charged a membership, the latter use advertising to pay the bills.... but someone is still paying. I know for a fact that The Bullspen had a press credential for access at RJS... I'm not sure if it still exists but it did a couple of years ago. I know that Josh at 247 has USF press credentials and Greg plus others.

My point is this... and Greg can probably clarify the process better... At some point an organization and it's direct representatives are considered press. I'm not sure if that's handled school to school or on a bigger stage by the NCAA. Those representatives get to play by different rules than we(Boosters) do. If you want to start a site you're more than welcome to... once you clear whatever process is in place and are classified as "press" by USF I would assume that you can contact any recruit you like. Also understand though that you would have to sever any booster ties to USF... no event tickets, no donations.... nothing.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  423
  • Days Won:  1

That scary! Considering the hundreds and thousands of twitter followers these recruits have including but not limited to fans who could be considered boosters from every college they are offered by. Maybe even friends of boosters or fx who are coaches or even other family members who are affiliated. While it all may be true its ridiculous if no-one is giving gifts or incentives what can they really do? Really look at some of the other programs who have had obvious recruiting issued actually validated and barely a slap on the wrist. This sucks for recruits/family members who wanna learn about the area program and most importantly connect with the fans. I know people who have profiles on tomohawk nation canesinsider and gatornation who may have children thinking about attending either. Seems to me then in such case there should be a disclaimer or release of liability or maybe even a waiver everyone should sign stating they understand the risk to being on these sites in relationship to their potential recruits being invedtigated as a result of membership. IJS

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

So just to be clear. If you are making money off recruits,you are rewarded with full access to them, if you are covering up for child molesters, you are exempt from NCAA regulation, but if you are a student of the game, a lover of your school's athletics or a parent seeking insight for your prospective athlete you must not even read what these students say? How refreshingly American. How greed works it's magic wand.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

I guess that would also include radio hosts, which is why Sileo was able to practically beg Chickillo to go to UM during his recruitment ...