• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Opinion: Is spiraling in mediocrity better than tasting greatness and never achieving again?

Opinion: Is spiraling in mediocrity better than tasting greatness and never achieving again?  

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Why can't you do both? Taste greatness once and the spiral in mediocrely there after.

Is it like would you rather be a Seattle Mariners fan or an LA Angels fan?

Exactly.

Neither. I'm a Bulls fan.

BTW, I have no idea what point you're making here.

The Angels have had quite a bit of success in recent years. The Mariners? Not so much, since they won more games in the regular season than any other team in baseball history, back in 2001, I believe.

I assumed "greatness" meant a world championship, of which the Angels only have one but Mariners zero ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Why can't you do both? Taste greatness once and the spiral in mediocrely there after.

Exactly.

The Angels have had quite a bit of success in recent years. The Mariners? Not so much, since they won more games in the regular season than any other team in baseball history, back in 2001, I believe.

I assumed "greatness" meant a world championship, of which the Angels only have one but Mariners zero ...

Gotcha. Your analogy was even more apropos than you realized.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Exactly.

Gotcha. Your analogy was even more apropos than you realized.

That's impossible ...

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

No. To put it in the words of Noel Gallagher from Oasis:

"Better to be kings for a day than schmucks for a lifetime."

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Or put another way...

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

No. I used to think that I'd be satisfied with the Bucs if they went 8-8...just as long as it wasn't another losing season. But after winning the Superbowl....there was nothing like that euphoria I felt that night and for a long time after. It still feels good to have that trophy nobody can ever take away. In fact, some of the frustrating losing seasons that occurred after, didn't feel as painful than they did before the Superbowl trophy.

Edited by Goldenbuc

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  436
  • Days Won:  0

No. I used to think that I'd be satisfied with the Bucs if they went 8-8...just as long as it wasn't another losing season. But after winning the Superbowl....there was nothing like that euphoria I felt that night and for a long time after. It still feels good to have that trophy nobody can ever take away. In fact, some of the frustrating losing seasons that occurred after, didn't feel as painful than they did before the Superbowl trophy.

And, there is no longer the pressure for us to win it all in a given season. I feel more relaxed watching Bucs games now than pre-Super Bowl. Nobody can take the Super Bowl 37 win away from us Bucs fans.

It's a nice feeling when you can care about just the experience of watching (especially in person) close to as much as actually winning.

Edited by Florida Bull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The best thing about the Bucs-Raiders superbowl was it had my two favorite teams playing. As soon as either offense got moving,I was like "GOGOGOGOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" LOL

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

1 time for the ring

"You play to win the game!!!!"