• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cameron Fraser OL Central High Phenix City, AL

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,536
  • Days Won:  422

And you can't compare football in the 70's with football today in terms of college, scouting and development. The money in college at the DI level at the time was a tiny fraction of what it is today.

So today it would be even easier for one of the guys from a smaller school to go 1st overall ...

Anymore it doesn't matter what college you go to...if you can play, the NFL scouts will know...hell Bethune Cookman had a kid drafted first round a few years ago...

You'll never be the #1 pick coming out of Bethune

Apparently you've never heard of "The Tooz" ....

#1 draft pick out of University of Tampa.

Talk about wild!

That was more than a year or two ago...

True .... but not really relevant. If a kid from a Div II school can be the number #1 overall pick, doesn't make sense to say that one from a I-AA (FCS) school will never be one.

THey were D-1 in the 70's

1A?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Anymore it doesn't matter what college you go to...if you can play, the NFL scouts will know...hell Bethune Cookman had a kid drafted first round a few years ago...

Talk about wild!

True .... but not really relevant. If a kid from a Div II school can be the number #1 overall pick, doesn't make sense to say that one from a I-AA (FCS) school will never be one.

1A?

D-1 wasn't divided until 1978, after UT terminated their program.

Talk about wild!

1A?

D-1 wasn't divided until 1978, after UT terminated their program.

Got it ...

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

And you can't compare football in the 70's with football today in terms of college, scouting and development. The money in college at the DI level at the time was a tiny fraction of what it is today.

and the winner of the 100 meter backpedal is.......

Backpedal????

My stance all along is that a guy being drafted #1 from U of Tampa has nothing at all to do with whether a DII player could be drafted #1.

Have you confused me with someone else?

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

annnnd my statement still holding its weight here... none of these kids #1 overall picks

My comment was in reference to being drafted in the FIRST ROUND...not first overall....and after research I was incorrect about Bethune Cookman...it was high 2 round...but I think more than plenty of examples have been made about what school you go to doesn't matter

annnnd my statement still holding its weight here... none of these kids #1 overall picks

My comment was in reference to being drafted in the FIRST ROUND...not first overall....and after research I was incorrect about Bethune Cookman...it was high 2 round...but I think more than plenty of examples have been made about what school you go to doesn't matter

Actually you were real close with the BC thing. To bring up a name that makes Bucs fans cringe, Booker Reese from BCC was a second round pick but they gave up a first round pick to get him ...

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  312
  • Days Won:  0

This is absurdity - you honestly think it doesn't matter what school you go to?

SEC - 8 of the first 18 picks... come on dude - take the blinders off... of course there are one off scenarios and I'm sure you'll say Joe Flacco

BUT HE TRANSFERED... FROM PITT... a D1 Team... and only played 2 seasons there

and just for fun... the guy who replaced him... Tyler Palko - who has also played in the NFL

SEC - 8 of the first 18 picks... come on dude - take the blinders off...

Sure, playing at a higher profile school betters your chances but you said:

And you never say never.

of course there are one off scenarios and I'm sure you'll say Joe Flacco

BUT HE TRANSFERED... FROM PITT... a D1 Team... and only played 2 seasons there

and just for fun... the guy who replaced him... Tyler Palko - who has also played in the NFL

Perfect example of how they will find the talent no matter where it is. Flacco only played in 3 games, didn't start any, while at Pitt so do you really think his time there had any bearing whatsoever on him being drafted where he was?? He was drafted because of what he did and showed at little ol Delaware.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

SEC - 8 of the first 18 picks... come on dude - take the blinders off... of course there are one off scenarios and I'm sure you'll say Joe Flacco

It doesn't matter what school you go to. The SEC routinely has the best recruiting classes in the nation. SO it's obvious that they'll have a lot of high draft picks. If a kid can be a first rounder out of Alabama, he could just as easily be a first rounder out of North Carolina, USF, or BYU.

It's about the talent of the player and his work ethic. Going to Alabama doesn't make you a better football player than if you went to USF. It just so happens that on average better football players go to Alabama to begin with. It's not the system, it's the players.