• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Here's McMurphy. Re: Big East Media deal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

New Big East TV Deal Could Revolve Around Notre Dame Football

May 31 4:34p by Jason Kirk

Read More: Notre Dame Fighting Irish

While estimation-prone types ponder whether the impending Big East television deal will be worth way less than the league once hoped or just a little bit less, the conference itself could be using its unique relationship with Notre Dame as a handy bargaining chip.

The Irish are members in all sports except for football, of course. This means their relatively valuable basketball program boosts the Big East, but Memphis Athletic Director R.C. Johnson describes how NBC is thinking bigger:

"(NBC's) purpose (at the meeting) was to show they had an interest in the Big East and they had it tied in with Notre Dame football," Johnson said. "They talked about doubleheaders and tripleheaders on the NBC station. Not on the Versus or whatever they all have, NBC (Sports Network), because they've got several cable outlets.

"They talked about how they liked the time zones and they talked about tying in doubleheaders and tripleheaders on Saturday with football."

ESPN gets the first crack at the Big East's top games, while NBC will likely emerge as a contender if the conference doesn't sell all its stock to ESPN. With the league's truly national footprint, NBC wouldn't have a hard time creating an entire day's worth of college football programming, from the East Coast to Notre Dame to Boise State.

Of course, there's the question of what happens in 2015, when Notre Dame's NBC contract is up and the Irish could very well join a conference in full (which won't be the Big East).

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

nd will never join big east for football

we should have thrown them out years ago

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

nd will never join big east for football

we should have thrown them out years ago

ND Football will come IF, AND ONLY IF NBC offers the right $$.

But I don't know that they will.

• Topic Count:  36
  • Content Count:  2,114
  • Days Won:  2

I just can't see ND coming. I wish, but don't see it. Perhaps if NBC offered enough money that a slight maybe. Who knows with all of this anymore

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I'm still of the opinion that if the BE offers ND, let's them keep (until the current contract runs out) all home football TV revenue, shares the rest it's possible. BE is already brining in Navy and possibly USAF, both teams that ND play on a regular basis.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

ND will never join the BE guys. we just lost our 3 marquee name teams and added a bunch of C-USA teams and you think ND will join now? It's ridiculous.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  511
  • Days Won:  1

The ONLY way they come into the BE is if NBC offers a deal predicated on them being able to air all of Notre Dame's games on NBC. Right now they only have access to home games. Signing with the BE they will be able to air all home games and in conference away games. The only way this happens is if ND gets a larger per school cut of the pot. ie they get big 12/sec type $20+ million per year and the rest of us get $10-12 million per year. this is a pipe dream...... Not hapeneing.

According to this article their TV deal is not as lucrative as we may think.
with a BCS berth it would be close to 15.85 million a year including the BE portion of the TV contracts. Witout a BCS bert they only get $12.65Million/year.. Granted most of this is a few years old, but their tv deal football has not bee reworked since then.

But still, they need another big player to join with them. they need a rival. BYU will not be big enought for them. Let's say we bring ND into the fold, would our TV contract be worth more than the current ACC deal? I don't know. Will it be better than not having them, yes it will.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  355
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

ND will never join the BE guys. we just lost our 3 marquee name teams and added a bunch of C-USA teams and you think ND will join now? It's ridiculous.

Never is a word that should be used with extreme caution. Is it probable that they join? No. Is it possible? Yes. If they were to join the BE, they may be able to convince the "powers that be" that the BE should be invloved in the playoff structure. They would be a big fish in a little pond in the BE, as opposed to a little fish in a big pond in the B1G, Big 12, and less the ACC. Money drives the world my friend. Stranger things have happened.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I have a greater chance of marrying and making babies with Sofia Vergara than the BE has of ND joining the conference.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I have a greater chance of marrying and making babies with Sofia Vergara than the BE has of ND joining the conference.

So you're saying there's a chance...

sofia-vergara-secy.jpg

• Upvote 1