• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

My Manifesto

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  490
  • Days Won:  1

Let me remind you that Florida State was a big fat 0 of a program before Bobby took over. He immediately began challenging all of the top programs in the country and loaded his schedule with nationally recognized teams. Florida State beat a good share of these teams and were elevated to the status of an elite program which equals recruits, booster money, etc....don't give up hope, building a program takes time and USF has a good foundation.

And FSU ascended into the top ranks of college football BEFORE coverage was monopolized by ESPN, before the advent of the AQ, and before the lines in the sand that have been drawn today. I'm simply wondering with the game as it is now and the direction it seems to be heading, if there is realistically a chance to do what the other schools in Florida did.

If the conferences continue to grow and sign into long-term cross-conference agreements with one another (B1G & PAC 12), how many opportunities will we have to challenge other programs like Bowden did? Who's going to give us the chance? Again, and I don't mean to sound too obsessed about this, but even if we did challenge a top-ranked program and win as we've done before, what are the odds we will be congratulated / applauded for it? History suggests the talking heads will get on, talk about how 'lucky' we were and how another, more precious (and obviously better) program will have to think about firing their coach because there is no way (the other team) should ever lose to USF.

Again, I don't mind being proven wrong, but my math shows in the past 20 years, 12 teams have won the National Championship, every one of them strong 'brand' universities. Miami won in 2001 and then promptly left for greener pastures in 2004. Heck, five teams alone (Alabama, UF, FSU, LSU & Nebraska) are have won a combined total of 14 of the last 20 National Championships - it's a shame USC had to give theirs up - it throws the math off a little.

My heart of hearts tells me this game is rigged in the 'Big Five's" favor, and at this point with the latest consolidation and maneuverings, the climb is becoming insurmountable. I don't think the NBE with it's hybrid model, the latest crop of additions and further potential losses is ever going to be taken seriously by the pundits or the coaches of other conferences.

I am beginning to think we and the rest of the NBE should just join the Alliance and leave the other's to their own games. I wonder how much of the angling to sit at the 'big boy's' table is about truly being competitive vs. a bigger pay day? Is the 'prestige' of being in a better conference worth it if we don't have a chance of winning consistently? For those who are thinking, "Being in an 'elite' conference will bring us better recruits - I'm not buying it. Again, we might find a couple of diamonds in the rough here and there, but not enough to compete with the Big 3 regularly. There is no way having a seat at the table equivocates to us having a better team simply 'because'. There are too many teams in the elite conferences that do nothing either.

I just want the Bulls to play on a level playing field and be competitive. Sooner or later, the chips will fall into place. I'm frustrated, but I can see better things ahead for USF by being a member of a conference comprised of urban universities and smaller schools than being involved in a caste system forever trying to keep up with others.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  193
  • Days Won:  0

USF is NOT going to get a spot at the "BIG BOY" table period, I hate to sound so pessimistic, but I'm with BaltoBull on this one. A spot at the table doesn't automatically mean good and/or better recruits either.

Also, those games we schedule against the "BIG BOYS" (E.I. Auburn, FSU, Miami, ND etc) will be thrown out the window. USF has proven that they can beat these teams and every game is going to count even more if the super conferences come to fruition. Why would UF, Alabama, and USC etc... want to play USF and have a good chance of ending up with that blemish on their record to prevent them from playing for the NC, plus super conference would require more conference games to be played against supposedly better talent so tough OOC games would be a thing of the past.

Winning the BE conference doesn't mean anything either; it doesn't matter if you watch ESPN or CBS, those commentators HATE the BE and think the conference is overrated and doesn't deserve the AQ status. Yes, we would get great exposure (and $$), but it would all be for not as kids watch TV and the conference get bashed repeatedly for being "WEAK." Cinci and UConn have both won the BE in recent years, I don't see 5 star recruits lining up to go either one of those schools.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,709
  • Days Won:  108

Let me remind you that Florida State was a big fat 0 of a program before Bobby took over. He immediately began challenging all of the top programs in the country and loaded his schedule with nationally recognized teams. Florida State beat a good share of these teams and were elevated to the status of an elite program which equals recruits, booster money, etc....don't give up hope, building a program takes time and USF has a good foundation.

It took UF 100 years to win a SEC championship let alone to be relevant nationally.

Miami almost shut down their program before their great run that started 30 years ago.

I agree. it takes time.

BTW people make way too big a deal about AQ status. we, along with 30 or 40 other programs, have had AQ status for awhile and have never played in a BCS game. Hawaii, Boise State, Utah, TCU have all played in a BCS game without AQ status.

Cousin ricky- we could start a college all star team with kids that played high school ball in our surrounding counties let alone the state. let's start with Aaron murray(Plant high) from Georgia and add sammy watkins from clemson(1st team all american as a true freshman). UF won titles due in large part to the 7 kids they got from lakeland in one recruiting class.

There is no doubt about that. But the top programs bring in the best from "each" state. We have a boat load of Florida kids on the team. Just because they are from Florida doesn't mean they are championship caliber talent. There is a reason those kids don't come to USF. They don't have a shot at a national title. Even the Big 3 in Florida lose guys to out of state schools. Lots of reasons for kids to choose the schools they do. But the majority, not all, in football try to go where they have a shot at winning championships.

I hope like hell that USF gets to that level. But I don't really expect it. The recent decommit is a great example. Once big "name" schools come courting, kids see the advantages of those schools. Plus, if it involved Lane Kiffin, you can profit greatly. :ph34r:

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It took UF 100 years to win a SEC championship let alone to be relevant nationally.

Miami almost shut down their program before their great run that started 30 years ago.

I agree. it takes time.

BTW people make way too big a deal about AQ status. we, along with 30 or 40 other programs, have had AQ status for awhile and have never played in a BCS game. Hawaii, Boise State, Utah, TCU have all played in a BCS game without AQ status.

Cousin ricky- we could start a college all star team with kids that played high school ball in our surrounding counties let alone the state. let's start with Aaron murray(Plant high) from Georgia and add sammy watkins from clemson(1st team all american as a true freshman). UF won titles due in large part to the 7 kids they got from lakeland in one recruiting class.

There is no doubt about that. But the top programs bring in the best from "each" state. We have a boat load of Florida kids on the team. Just because they are from Florida doesn't mean they are championship caliber talent. There is a reason those kids don't come to USF. They don't have a shot at a national title. Even the Big 3 in Florida lose guys to out of state schools. Lots of reasons for kids to choose the schools they do. But the majority, not all, in football try to go where they have a shot at winning championships.

I hope like hell that USF gets to that level. But I don't really expect it. The recent decommit is a great example. Once big "name" schools come courting, kids see the advantages of those schools. Plus, if it involved Lane Kiffin, you can profit greatly. :ph34r:

I agree they want to go where they can win but what makes you think we can sign a 4 star from Georgia any sooner than we can sign the same level recruit from Florida? People who think we can just recruit out of state and pull in better talent are fooling themselves. we have plenty of talent here and they are more likely to stay close to home. we are not going to start scouring the globe for talent and miraculously start signing 5 stars.

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

We have been pulling a good amount of talent out of GA. Some kids want to see new places. Tampa has the most strippers than any other metropolitan area. Come to Tampa.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

We have been pulling a good amount of talent out of GA. Some kids want to see new places. Tampa has the most strippers than any other metropolitan area. Come to Tampa.

LMFAO.....

• Content Count:  6,348

I believe there will be plenty of opportunity to get to the next level, but just as Stan Heath said, you have to kick the door in to do it...and kick the door in consistently. I believe it must start with winning the conference this year.

The teams from '97 to 2005 went from D1AA to D1 to CUSA to Big East by consistently winning and improving. That was an enormous jump to go from nothing into one of the top 6 conferences in 8 years. Now the next step is to get into the BCS bowls and stay there for a couple a few years.

The TCUs and Boise State's of the college football world became valuable commodities to the "elite" conferences because they have won consistently over a period of time and also became fairly marketable programs by the way they have won and the things they accomplished. Those programs have become interesting programs for the media. In an era where college football is driven by TV ratings because of ESPN, if you are not already a big name school with big time fan support, you better win consistently and in my opinion, you better win in an interesting and compelling way so you bring in the ratings.

I think with the upcoming round of TV negotiations in the next few years, we have a narrow window to make a name for the program. We need to win and in big time style. That means by blowing people out with a dynamic offense (no grind it out, low scoring BS like we have seen the last couple of years) AND we need to develop a marquee, big name player. Whether Daniels can be exciting enough to become that or maybe Dunkley can become that, it needs to happen. Someone has to step forward and become a household name on a national basis so people outside the USF program tune in for a reason to watch.

Even if Baylor went 12-1 this year, would anyone really care about watching them if RG3 wasn't playing? Would anyone truly care about watching Stanford (even though they do bring some sense of history) if Luck wasn't on the team?

I believe we can reserve a seat at the big boy table if we win, win in style and with notoriety and do it consistently for a few years. If we don't, then we remain a 2nd tier team in possible a 2nd tier conference.

It is true, the college football landscape is changing, if we don't do anything to belong then we simply don't belong. Just because we are in Florida doesn't give us any birthright to belong to the elite conference. Say what you want about Leavitt, he always found a way for his teams to kick the door down to the next level.

Since college football is becoming more and more of media driven, TV ratings and not even just about winning games or conferences, you better have some marketable properties and become interesting on a national basis, not just in your own little market.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,709
  • Days Won:  108

I agree. it takes time.

I agree they want to go where they can win but what makes you think we can sign a 4 star from Georgia any sooner than we can sign the same level recruit from Florida? People who think we can just recruit out of state and pull in better talent are fooling themselves. we have plenty of talent here and they are more likely to stay close to home. we are not going to start scouring the globe for talent and miraculously start signing 5 stars.

I don't think I said it would be easier to get them from other states? I was talking about UF, FSU, etc. grabbing the elite talent from other states. Sorry if I didn't state it clearly.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

And that was also a time when the BCS system wasn't in place and TV revenue didn't drive the college football discourse as much as it does today.

• Content Count:  6,348

After watching the Executive Director of the BCS on the Costas show the other night I am now completely convinced that other than perhaps 12 to 15 traditional powerhouse, big name traditional schools, USF nor any of the other 100 or so schools, regardless of what conference (AQ or non AQ conference) will never be given the opportunity to play for a championship unless there is a true playoff system.

From the way that guy was smirking and showed his smugness, I am convinced that the BCS committee will aabsolutely find a way to keep any team not in their chosen rotation of National Champion worthy programs.

Archived