• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We just needed a good bball coach to Dance

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  245
  • Days Won:  1

What helps Seth is that he's an eloquent speaker; he's very entertaining and gives good quotes. Plus, he keeps himself in the forefront of ESPN and other media outlets.

RMC is/was a better coach.

Seth is/was a better personality.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

What helps Seth is that he's an eloquent speaker; he's very entertaining and gives good quotes. Plus, he keeps himself in the forefront of ESPN and other media outlets.

And don't forget that he had Pizza Hut and Dominos on speed dial ...

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

And it sounds like the Sheriff will be forever greatful to Seth for hooking him up with such doughy, cheesy goodness. Man, I've never heard one poster be on an ex coach's tip as much as the Sheriff. To each, their own, I guess.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

And it sounds like the Sheriff will be forever greatful to Seth for hooking him up with such doughy, cheesy goodness. Man, I've never heard one poster be on an ex coach's tip as much as the Sheriff. To each, their own, I guess.

There was that Mizzou cat that posted on here for a while after the Leavitt firing ...

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

McCullum was hired to coach the USF Bulls on April 18, 2003 by athletic director Lee Roy Selmon after serving as the head coach at Western Michigan University, where he compiled a 44–45 record.[3] He was fired from USF on March 9, 2007 after showing minimal progress with the Bulls, who ended the 2006–07 season at 12–18.[4] He compiled a 40–76 record as head coach at South Florida.

That is from RMC's wiki page. So, RMC doesn't reach .500 at WMU, and doesn't even sniff .500 at USF, and he's the better coach? I know some of you have a hard-on for Seth, but Jesus, the guy has a winning record at every school he has taken over. VaTech was in the pits when he got there. He's had two losing seasons during his tenure there (and we're talking a game or two under .500). The ACC is not a cupcake conference. RMC finished 36 games under .500 in a four year period. Someone help me out here please. Better yet, let's play fantasy baseball. You select players based on your created subjectivity with statistics and I'll select mine with my interpretation of those same stats.

I hear the "C-USA" vs "Big East" talk and laugh. There were some legitimate powerhouses in both conferences prior to the Big East losing Miami, Boston College, and VaTech. Seth proved he could win in a power conference immediately. VaTech went 10 years and two coaching changes without any type of post season bid before Seth arrived at VaTech. They have since gone to five post season tourney bids between the NCAA and NIT and have post season wins over Illnois (NCAA), UConn (NIT), and Temple (NIT). Ricky Stokes coached before Seth at VaTech and left the program with an overall record at 46-69 (and was 10-18 and 12-17 respectively in his last two seasons). Seth led USF to a 15–14 overall record (7–9 4th in C-USA) in 2002-2003 prior to leaving.

Let's look at RMC now.

First year: 2003-04 Record: 7-20, 1-15 Conference USA

6-9 Home, 1-11 Away

Second year:

2004-05 Record: 14-16, 5-11 Conference USA 8-5 Home, 2-10 Away

Third year:

2005-06 Record: 7-22, 1-15 BIG EAST 4-10 Home, 3-12 Away

Last season:

2006-07 Record: 12-18, 3-13 BIG EAST 8-7 Home, 2-10 Away

What else needs to be said? I see people saying RMC is a better X's and O's coach. Or RMC also had players go to the NBA. Explain the record then? RMC either didn't coach well enough or didn't recruit well enough... his record is the last reflection of his performance. Seth was coaching in the ACC which was just as difficult as the Big East. He won... and he won enough to go to post season tournies. Just my two cents.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

To be fair Sheriff, RMC showed some progress from year 1 to year 2. Then year 3 he took a mediocre (I'm being generous) CUSA team and moved them into the Big East. Of course there was going to be a drop off. He showed some minimal progress between years 3 and 4 as well. Heath got 3 years to put together a decent season and another 2 to replacate the success.

I'm not saying RMC was better or worse than anyone, but he really did get in over his head in year 3 and wasn't given time to improve from there. I'm happy it worked out that way b/c I think Heath is a much better coach than RMC. It is what it is, though.

That third year is when we expect a new coach's recruits to really take off. If you take the Big East record out of play, he went 6-7 OOC in his third season. The year before he was 9-5 OOC. He was 6-5 his first season OOC. He was showing improvement his last season and went 9-5 OOC, however a two win improvement in the Big East just wasn't going to get it done considering you only won one game the year before out of 16.

It appeared to be a reach when they initially hired him. Very short term success at WMU. Heath at least came from a power conference and has big conference coaching experience (not saying this is always the barometer for success). I believe Seth's salesmanship killed a lot of fans on here that were initially for him... however, we were always competitive for the most part. Seth's only losing season in CUSA was his first.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

I believe Seth's salesmanship killed a lot of fans on here that were initially for him... however, we were always competitive for the most part.

I don't think it was his salesmanship that killed a lot of whatever fans we had back then. ... it was the lack of success. A post seaon win would have been nice somewhere in those 7 years ... Maybe a sniff at a regular season or tourney conference title ...

Seth's only losing season in CUSA was his first.

True ... if you don't count his 7-9 record in 97/98 .... or his 6-10 record in 98/99 .... or his 7-9 record in 02/03.

Let me rephrase that Triple B... should have read his only losing season OVERALL at USF was his first year - didn't mean to indicate C-USA. Didn't realize I typed it like that until I just read your comments.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

So, RMC doesn't reach .500 at WMU, and doesn't even sniff .500 at USF, and he's the better coach?

He won bigger games, which is something Seth couldn't do at USF. Mosley's illness and the move to the Big East is what sunk McCullum. Pretty sure Mosley had 3 years of eligibility at USF. Seth was a good recruiter and it is McCullum's fault that he didn't recruit well, but as far as X and O's and in game coaching go, he was better than Seth.

I know some of you have a hard-on for Seth

Pretty sure you're the only one who has a hard on for Seth.

Archived