• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What odds would you have given to the rise of bball & downfall of football?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  245
  • Days Won:  1

Never in a million years did I foresee USF men's basketball rising out of the ashes and flying high again. It still tickle's me every time I think about the current status of the program.

And then if you told me that football would crumble to its former I-AAAA shadow (in my own interpretations), I would never have imagined such a scenario. I mean how many shots in the knee caps can the football program take? ---We are freaking playing UCF in the same conference... And operation Bumble Bee is without any sting.

It's always pain and pleasure being a Bull.

But you know what, I'll take the basketball success. Yup, I would have traded it all for basketball at the height of our football program. I guess I got my wish. --Ouch! :unsure:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Facilities making a huge difference for soccer, bball, and softball

• Content Count:  511

And then if you told me that football would crumble to its former I-AAAA shadow (in my own interpretations), I would never have imagined such a scenario. I mean how many shots in the knee caps can the football program take? ---We are freaking playing UCF in the same conference... And operation Bumble Bee is without any sting.

We are still a top 1/3 in division 1 football program. sound the siren when we stoop to Suckacuse levels of crappiness. I see the future as being brighter on the football end. We got decent programs to replace 1 good one, 1 marginal one, and a cupcake. UCiF is a stronger cupcake than Suckacuse. the impact of Boise should be a good one, SMU, Houston, and Temple are on par or close to Pitt. Memphis....... downgrade. Lets see how the league functions for a year or two before we say our football progream is on life support.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

We've had 1 losing season in the past 10 years and although it might seem bad on the surface right now, the Big East hasn't crashed into total irrelevancy yet. So, I'm not quite sure I'm ready to throw in the towel on football.

Basketball has me excited, but I'd like to see a little more sustained success before I crown that program.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Well once again regarding football, it's not about who's in the conference, it's if the conference is in the BcS. All info I've seen says not for much longer.

Oh and that "suckacuse" team will be.

• Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Basketball is very exciting, and I'm extremely glad to see basketball rising. I'm not worried about football. I really don't think we can be worse than last year. As far as the big east goes, I also don't see how the big east can be less relevant than it was before, because it wasn't really that relevant anyway. I think having only 8 teams is the problem. A typical mid season week: 2 be teams have a bye. 1 team plays on Thursday, 2 play each other on Friday. The rest play at noon on Sat. How can you be relevant when your conference is not even playing after 3pm eastern on a saturday?

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Never in a million years did I foresee USF men's basketball rising out of the ashes and flying high again. It still tickle's me every time I think about the current status of the program.

But you know what, I'll take the basketball success. Yup, I would have traded it all for basketball at the height of our football program. I guess I got my wish. --Ouch! :unsure:

You are dramatically overstating the "rise of basketball" AND the "downfall of football." This regular season in basketball was definitely the best in team history, but it wasn't THAT much better than the 2009-2010 season, when the team also won 20 games. But this team got into the dance and won two games, which makes it seem way better. That 2010 team was pretty close to dancing too. And yet, in between, there was 10-23 year in 2010-11. It takes a lot more than one season of dancing to buck a trend of decades of pitiful records.

And the "downfall" of football? Really? Going 5-7 once for the first losing season in almost a decade is a downfall? The team won two fewer regular season games than in 2010, hardly a giant collapse. You are both overstating how bad the team was this past year AND overstating how good they were before that, and when you take a view that actually has a basis in reality, it becomes clear the team hasn't really fallen that far. This is a team that has never won 10 games in a season and hasn't had a winning conference record since 2007... I don't understand how you can possibly think 5-7 is such a dramatic fall.

This is the same mentality that has people freaking out after every loss like it's the end of the world. Why do some people feel like they have to be perpetually declaring things to be absolutely great or absolutely terrible? Why can't you just have a little patience before making these kind of (pointless) statements?

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

You are dramatically overstating the "rise of basketball" AND the "downfall of football." This regular season in basketball was definitely the best in team history, but it wasn't THAT much better than the 2009-2010 season, when the team also won 20 games. But this team got into the dance and won two games, which makes it seem way better. That 2010 team was pretty close to dancing too. And yet, in between, there was 10-23 year in 2010-11. It takes a lot more than one season of dancing to buck a trend of decades of pitiful records.

And the "downfall" of football? Really? Going 5-7 once for the first losing season in almost a decade is a downfall? The team won two fewer regular season games than in 2010, hardly a giant collapse. You are both overstating how bad the team was this past year AND overstating how good they were before that, and when you take a view that actually has a basis in reality, it becomes clear the team hasn't really fallen that far. This is a team that has never won 10 games in a season and hasn't had a winning conference record since 2007... I don't understand how you can possibly think 5-7 is such a dramatic fall.

This is the same mentality that has people freaking out after every loss like it's the end of the world. Why do some people feel like they have to be perpetually declaring things to be absolutely great or absolutely terrible? Why can't you just have a little patience before making these kind of (pointless) statements?

I agree with 99% of what your saying, but a 5-7 (1-6) record in football is absolutely terrible. I agree it's not a major drop off from anything we've really ever experienced with the football team, but it's pretty bad.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,118

i disagree and actually agree with the OP - it isn't so much about performance but the current state of the BE. People on here can spin it any way they want but a ESPN Friday night game against SMU or Temple will never have the same atmosphere or media attention as against a West Virginia IMHO fooball has taken a MAJOR hit

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Well once again regarding football, it's not about who's in the conference, it's if the conference is in the BcS. All info I've seen says not for much longer.

Oh and that "suckacuse" team will be.

The BCS may not be around much longer. It all depends on what TV wants to do.

Archived