• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What odds would you have given to the rise of bball & downfall of football?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

The reality os we should not have been a 5-7 team last year, we lost so many games by one play, we just had one of those year where we couldnt catch a break.....easily couldve been 7-5 or 8-4.....i expect better things from a very veteran seasoned team this year, and i like the fact that no one is expecting us to do anything

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,867

You are dramatically overstating the "rise of basketball" AND the "downfall of football."

This...

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

The reality os we should not have been a 5-7 team last year, we lost so many games by one play, we just had one of those year where we couldnt catch a break.....easily couldve been 7-5 or 8-4.....

Exactly right. There's no question a 1-6 record in conference play sucks big time, but not every 1-6 team is the same. A 1-6 team that lost its games by an average of 30 points or something is a terrible team. But take away the terrible Pitt game, and USF's other six losses last year were by an average of less than five points. It was a combination of the team struggling and lots of bad luck.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

We had an awful year in football, during a year in which our conference also underperformed. It is safe to say it was a very, very poor showing. Another one of those and there will have to be coaching changes. He is in year 3 this year. First season in 7 that we didn't get a bowl. First losing season in the same time period.

As for basketball, we significantly outperformed everyone's expectations.

I would agree with statement "rise in basketball, downfall in football" as both are accurate depictions.

• Content Count:  445
  • Days Won:  1

You are dramatically overstating the "rise of basketball" AND the "downfall of football."

This...

sure 5-7 that is pretty terrible. Especially considering the way we lost of those games. USF is the little guy who never finishes the job. We should have dominated the conference and yet we finished 1-6. That is terrible almost worst then terrible. The coaches lost the team in a big way and never found it again.

• Content Count:  445
  • Days Won:  1

The reality os we should not have been a 5-7 team last year, we lost so many games by one play, we just had one of those year where we couldnt catch a break.....easily couldve been 7-5 or 8-4.....

Exactly right. There's no question a 1-6 record in conference play sucks big time, but not every 1-6 team is the same. A 1-6 team that lost its games by an average of 30 points or something is a terrible team. But take away the terrible Pitt game, and USF's other six losses last year were by an average of less than five points. It was a combination of the team struggling and lots of bad luck.

Bad luck is called bad coaching. Losing late double digit leads is not bad luck friend. That is called players thinking they won before the game is over which is something that the coaches must control. You can say we lost 6 games by blah blah blah. We still lost end of story.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

This...

That is fair to say right now.

However, what if we have another down season? I think it's fair to say that we all have no idea what this team is going to look like come September and I don't think it would surprise many people if we only win 6 or 7 games.

• Content Count:  5,982

This...

However, what if we have another down season? I think it's fair to say that we all have no idea what this team is going to look like come September and I don't think it would surprise many people if we only win 6 or 7 games.

6 or 7 wins is not good Flip. I can never understand why USF isn't better in football considering the state they can recruit from and the level on competition in the Big East which isn't much. USF should be 1 of the bell cows on this weak conference.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

We've had 1 losing season in the past 10 years and although it might seem bad on the surface right now, the Big East hasn't crashed into total irrelevancy yet. So, I'm not quite sure I'm ready to throw in the towel on football.

Basketball has me excited, but I'd like to see a little more sustained success before I crown that program.

we have accomplished little in football

no one thought basketball would rise in 2012 while our football team is a basement dweller in weak big east

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

This...

no reason to think football will have adifferent season than last

we have the same qb

Archived