• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Under Attack from Politician

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Here are some excerpts from my letter. I sent it to ALL of the Senators, and will also send to Governor Scott...

Dear Senators,

While I am sending this across the state to numerous senators, this appeal is to request you to use your best judgment tomorrow (Wednesday) when the Florida State Senate votes on the state University funding for 2012/2013. In it, Senator Alexander has done everything he can to attack the 9th largest University in the United States, also the 3rd largest Research University in the state, and it will punish USF's faculty and students directly. Though not as severely, UCF, FIU, and FAU were also implicated in his attack on education. This issue should be about education, not about petty politics, and what is occurring is a political game many of you would probably prefer to distance yourself from. This could happen to you one day, in your district, to your local University, so please use the power of your vote to ensure that politics are not being played with Florida's higher education system, all at one man's hand, and due to his petty spitefulness.

(lots of facts about the budget provided here, links to articles, etc... deleted to keep this post brief).

So, why so much from USF???? Is it because of one man's quest to create Polytechnic in Lakeland? Does he hope his name will be on a building there one day? Is it for his own personal legacy? The students and alumni of USF Lakeland have collectively expressed their opinions - they don't want to separate from USF - so why is it in his personal agenda to press on?

Per one article "USF will have a total net loss of $128M, ......." That is an extremely large cut which would negatively impact not only USF but the entire Tampa Bay and Central Florida region of the state - all at one Senator's demand. Is this an issue you really want to hang your hat on, with your vote of support of his punitive proposal?

Also, if you are not completely familiar with how far J.D. Alexander has gone to try to punish and cause irreparable harm in his attack on USF, take a look at this article which describes how "politics" are being played at his hand. (link was provided)

Note, if one reviews the backgrounds of those on the committee who have proposed this distribution of cuts, it is obvious why UF and FSU will keep the most $$$ per student. But it comes at the expense of the schools from Orlando, Tampa/Sarasota, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand how that happened.

I appeal to you to make the right decision on Wednesday. Consider the facts, consider the source, and consider the details. Please vote against the current recommendations, and push for a more fair and equitable solution to the proposed budget cuts. Please do not let one man, in is final term, make a mockery of our Senate, and of your positions. This proposed budget is a travesty and it must be stopped in its tracks.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  791
  • Days Won:  3

From usforacle.com:

"A list of all the universities and their proposed percental budget cuts are below:

USF: 58.2% , UCF: 34.9% , FIU: 34.3% , FAU 34.7% , UF 25.8% , FSU 22.3% , UWF 16.3% , FAMU 12.8% , UNF 12.1% , New College 11.4% , FGCU 6.6%"

It's interesting that FGCU faired best of the 11 state universities with cutbacks at only 6.6%! FGCU was built on land donated by JD Alexander's family's business, Alico, which is still developing its own acreage "across the street" from FGCU. Kinda like JD wants to do with USF Poly!

http://www.eaglenews.org/alico-west-upcoming-developments-underway-1.2391672

• Content Count:  558
  • Days Won:  0

Just e-mailed my rep, Will Weatherford. He's also quoted in Joe Henderson's article today. Basically, even if this crap passed through the Senate, it would have to be voted on in the House, and Weatherford mentioned that it would have a "slim to none" chance of getting through.

Weatherford also said, "Our jobs are to make sure that the cuts are fair".

I hope that is true

But irregardless ( :P ) we have to take a stand against JD Alexander NOW even if it does not pass.

I'm talking about forming a petition for a recall of him.

http://www.flsenate....es/2011/100.361

Who is from this district and can get at least 5% of the registered voters to sign..........maybe the Lakeland campus can start this (students with some free time). Even if not successful, the press from this effort would definitely wake up the "establishment" in Tally........For goodness sakes, we already lost the new college...what else is next. I say we go confiscate the UF agriculture thingy in Ft. Pierce/Indian River area that I see signs for driving the Turnpike.

6. In a municipality or district of 25,000 or more registered electors, the petition shall be signed by at least 1,000 electors or by 5 percent of the total number of registered electors of the municipality or district as of the preceding municipal election, whichever is greater.

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

‎10 News is headed to Tallahassee to personally deliver your messages to state legislators. Want your voice heard? Send your one-page (or less) letter to tips@wtsp.com by the end of the day today.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/article/238489/8/10-News-taking-stand-on-proposed-USF-cuts

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I say we go to the media

I'm not talking about local news stations.

We need to start notifying national news agencies, ABC, NBC, CNN, MSNBC.

Heck even things like the Daily show if need be.

I'm serious about this. When you watch those national broadcasts and they feature some story about a local issue somewhere, where do you think it starts?

By local people submitting it to them, letting them know what is happening.

We all need to make a collective stand

Info on contacting media:

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=111

http://www.ritalindeath.com/News-Media.htm

http://www.ap.org/pages/contact/contact.html

• Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

From usforacle.com:

"A list of all the universities and their proposed percental budget cuts are below:

USF: 58.2% , UCF: 34.9% , FIU: 34.3% , FAU 34.7% , UF 25.8% , FSU 22.3% , UWF 16.3% , FAMU 12.8% , UNF 12.1% , New College 11.4% , FGCU 6.6%"

It's interesting that FGCU faired best of the 11 state universities with cutbacks at only 6.6%! FGCU was built on land donated by JD Alexander's family's business, Alico, which is still developing its own acreage "across the street" from FGCU. Kinda like JD wants to do with USF Poly!

http://www.eaglenews...erway-1.2391672

Wow... how transparently greedy can JD Alexander get? Does he really think that he is that all-powerful?

I'm ready to sign a petition for his censure.

• Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

this guy is the biggest tyrant I have ever seen.

• Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

guys...there is no state recall provision.

the best we can do is stopping this bill now.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I wrote letters all night to reps and media outlets.The Lakeland Ledger was kind enough to write this morning that they had vaulted this story to the lead in their paper this am. Guess sometimes it pays to be a d**k with a keyboard. So they can hear from all of you as well i suggest contacting Barry Friedman Contact info below. if anyone has broadcast media contacts NOW is the time to use them. There will be a price if we wait.

To: !LLHQ-Lakeland News Tips

Subject: Idiot JD Alexander

USF Leaders Vow to Fight "Draconian" Funding Cuts Proposed By Senate

By Mary Toothman

THE LEDGER

Published: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 3:52 a.m.

Last Modified: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 at 3:52 a.m.

Comments

Email

Print

Reprints

View one page

Enlarge Text

Related Links

USF Poly Website

USF Poly Budget Bill Draws Protest

Faculty Seek Halt To Plan

Former USF CEO Rips New Bill

Reaction on Florida Senate's USF Poly Budget-Bill Move Mixed

Senate Measure Would Create New, Independent University in Lakeland

More Stories

Facts

"It's not really just an economic impact. This cuts across the entire fiber of our community."

Dr. Louis Saco of Lakeland

usf board of trustees member

TAMPA | Faced with a devastating cut of 58 percent in the state Senate's proposed budget for the University of South Florida, school leaders vowed Monday night to fight back to save the system.

"We can change this. It is not a done deal," said USF President Judy Genshaft, who called the proposed reductions "draconian."

"This is the time to be strong, and move forward," she said. "We have built this university, and I don't think people are prepared to just sit back and watch it all fall down."

Although not present or discussed directly, Sen. J.D. Alexander, R-Lake Wales, was very much in the midst of the emergency board of trustees meeting. The powerful Senate Budget Committee chair has been at odds with USF over the fate of USF Polytechnic, and the budget cuts are perceived to be retaliatory and political.

Asked if there were any reason provided for the cuts, which are higher than those proposed for any other university in the state, administrative leaders said there were not. USF Chief Operating Officer John Long said the "disproportionate treatment" of the USF system's budget "has no formula — it's political."

The Senate budget recommends $400 million be cut from the Florida university system. USF is lined up to take a $79 million hit, about one-fifth of the total cuts.

Compounding the impact is a bill proposed in the Senate last week that calls for immediate independence for USF Poly. The measure requires that all of USF Poly's assets would go to a new university. The Florida Polytechnic University would receive about $32.7 million in general revenue funds.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20120214/POLITICS/120219696/1494

Archived