• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"The Western Athletic Conference is prepared to to acommodate Boise State's in 2012-13 for all non-football sports"

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

http://dailymail.com/News/breakingnews/2...uild=cache MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia University and the Big East Conference have reached a conditional agreement to settle their legal battles against one another, a source told the Charleston Daily Mail Thursday evening. A formal announcement could be made as early as Friday. That is also when the Big 12 is set to release its 2012 conference football schedule, media outlets reported Thursday. The Big East will make about $20 million from the resolution, with WVU paying $11 million. ---------- In that proposed scenario, WVU's $11 million payment would cover three things: The Big East's $5 million exit fee, Boise State's $5 million buyout fee, and $1 million to match what each Big 12 school is paying. That would raise the total value of the settlement to $20 million. ------------ Under the conditional agreement, the Big East will now take the money WVU was offering to find a replacement and use it however it chooses.
Good deal. This is a steep settlement that can help prevent picking off teams in the future. That was the point of fighting. Each Big XII school is on the hook for $1M each. That means if the ACC wants Pitt and Cuse for next year that they'll have to come up with a similar arrangement - $1M from each member school PER school they want in. So $2M from each school in the ACC if they want both schools in. I have a feeling that the ACC will not be so willing to shell out money to get Pitt and Cuse in sooner. If the WAC accommodate Boise and they can come in next year then it works out on our end.

that is not necessarily the case - the BE has replacement teams lined up for 2013, they were in need of a replacement team for 2012. different situation completely - pitt and SU can easily and successfully argue that point and could not be held to a similar type buyout, nor the ACC.

and 20MM is really not that much $$ in the grand scheme of things in these realignments.

In the ACC it is much more because of the lower TV payout compared to the Big XII. Replacement teams are immaterial. The payout would be lowered with less time remaining before the 27 month window ends, but it would be higher than the $5M without a doubt. I would guess that it will take a total of $10-12M for Pitt and Cuse each to get out. Realistically it doesn't matter where it comes from, but the Big XII helping WVU may cause Pitt and Cuse to seek assistance and decide to wait if they can't get it.

I still hold that they may stay depending on the TV deal. A greater per team payout than the ACC with them included and they may decide to stick with the BE.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

http://dailymail.com/News/breakingnews/2...uild=cache MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- West Virginia University and the Big East Conference have reached a conditional agreement to settle their legal battles against one another, a source told the Charleston Daily Mail Thursday evening. A formal announcement could be made as early as Friday. That is also when the Big 12 is set to release its 2012 conference football schedule, media outlets reported Thursday. The Big East will make about $20 million from the resolution, with WVU paying $11 million. ---------- In that proposed scenario, WVU's $11 million payment would cover three things: The Big East's $5 million exit fee, Boise State's $5 million buyout fee, and $1 million to match what each Big 12 school is paying. That would raise the total value of the settlement to $20 million. ------------ Under the conditional agreement, the Big East will now take the money WVU was offering to find a replacement and use it however it chooses.
Good deal. This is a steep settlement that can help prevent picking off teams in the future. That was the point of fighting. Each Big XII school is on the hook for $1M each. That means if the ACC wants Pitt and Cuse for next year that they'll have to come up with a similar arrangement - $1M from each member school PER school they want in. So $2M from each school in the ACC if they want both schools in. I have a feeling that the ACC will not be so willing to shell out money to get Pitt and Cuse in sooner. If the WAC accommodate Boise and they can come in next year then it works out on our end.
that is not necessarily the case - the BE has replacement teams lined up for 2013, they were in need of a replacement team for 2012. different situation completely - pitt and SU can easily and successfully argue that point and could not be held to a similar type buyout, nor the ACC. and 20MM is really not that much $$ in the grand scheme of things in these realignments.
In the ACC it is much more because of the lower TV payout compared to the Big XII. Replacement teams are immaterial. The payout would be lowered with less time remaining before the 27 month window ends, but it would be higher than the $5M without a doubt. I would guess that it will take a total of $10-12M for Pitt and Cuse each to get out. Realistically it doesn't matter where it comes from, but the Big XII helping WVU may cause Pitt and Cuse to seek assistance and decide to wait if they can't get it. I still hold that they may stay depending on the TV deal. A greater per team payout than the ACC with them included and they may decide to stick with the BE.

good analysis and i agree - and they may just decide to stay, but i do think they will move forward and not be in the BE in 2013 - i think all parties will start looking at this and just want it to all be finalized, not have lame duck members, etc. and move forward with the fresh start.

but i dont think the ACC will foot any of the bill - the 10MM would be on SU and Pitt to pay on their own.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

WVU gone...Schiano gone.... I'm not sure who to hate?

Rutgers even without schitano is still hate worthy... after them we still have this small glorifed community college called UCF

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

that is not necessarily the case - the BE has replacement teams lined up for 2013, they were in need of a replacement team for 2012. different situation completely - pitt and SU can easily and successfully argue that point and could not be held to a similar type buyout, nor the ACC.

and 20MM is really not that much $$ in the grand scheme of things in these realignments.

Certainly they won't pay $20mil, but they will pay more than $5mil. This sets up a formula, and they will end up paying $8-9mil per.

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

WVU gone...Schiano gone.... I'm not sure who to hate?

The hate for:

WVU will be replaced by the UCF fans cesspool (which will be far worse)

Schiano by Memphis fans (which will probably be even)

• Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

that is not necessarily the case - the BE has replacement teams lined up for 2013, they were in need of a replacement team for 2012. different situation completely - pitt and SU can easily and successfully argue that point and could not be held to a similar type buyout, nor the ACC. and 20MM is really not that much $$ in the grand scheme of things in these realignments.
Certainly they won't pay $20mil, but they will pay more than $5mil. This sets up a formula, and they will end up paying $8-9mil per.

and more than likely have to secure a team to come in early... i think they stay put and see how much our tv deal will be in the fall... ACC may lose two members with FSU and Clemson being rumored to going to the Big 12... they are still not out of trouble and on top of that they are locked into their tv deal until Syracuse and Pitt are officially in the conference

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The settlement was a straight $20 mil, each Big 12 school agreed to help WVU by giving $9 mil (or $1 mil for each school)

I don't think the Big East demanded $1 Mil from each school, nor would they in the future. I think they just wanted the original $5 mil buyout,, Boise's $5 mil buyout and $10 mil extra.

In the end, it's best for the conference. Anyone who really believed we'd keep a lame duck school around who was willing to pay out the arse to leave was crazy

You force them to stay if you can't set a precedent with the penalty to discourage others from leaving. The penalty is large enough to discourage Pitt and Cuse from leaving for next year and sets a precedent from all the other teams from the new conference to have to chip in. That also sets precedent for Pitt and Cuse should they try to get out after next season. I'd say that the rate for each ACC team to contribute to the fund would be $500K per team, so $1M from each school. The ACC may decide to just wait.

You're misconstruing what happened here. WVU and the Big East worked an agreement. $5 Mil for inital buyout. $5 mil for Boise State buyout. $10 mil early penalty.

WVU went to the Big 12, they agreed to give $1M per school to help WVU pay the settlement and move now.

It wasn't the BE saying, "Give us $1M Per school Big 12, and we'll do it."

The BE will work out a deal with SU and Pitt. If the ACC wants to give money to help like the Big 12 did they'll figure it out.

But make no mistake Pitt and Cuse are gone in 2013z

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Smurf Turf for 2012!!!

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

2011: BSU # 6 WV # 17

2010: BSU # 7 WV NR

2009: BSU # 6 WV # 22

2008 BSU # 11 WV # 23

Nough said !

THIS!

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

How is the $20M, minus $5m for BS buyout, distributed, if at all, amongst the current BE teams? What is the split b/w football and non football BE members? Just curious.

Archived