• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Danny O'Brien

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I'm back to my original comment. If he's eligible to play THIS fall, then take him. Otherwise no.

If he's eligible immediately, then he won't sign with USF. If you want him, hope he's not eligible til 2013.

Yup, if he's eligible immediately, then he won't play here since he won't beat out BJ. He's going to go to a school where he can play right away since he doesn't have a lot of time left at the college level. It's 2013 or nothing at USF.

If he has no chance to beat out BJ, I really don't want him here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I'm back to my original comment. If he's eligible to play THIS fall, then take him. Otherwise no.
If he's eligible immediately, then he won't sign with USF. If you want him, hope he's not eligible til 2013.
Yup, if he's eligible immediately, then he won't play here since he won't beat out BJ. He's going to go to a school where he can play right away since he doesn't have a lot of time left at the college level. It's 2013 or nothing at USF.
If he has no chance to beat out BJ, I really don't want him here.
Considering that BJ has been injured for a portion of the past two years, I think he would be a good insurance policy to have. G Gregory did a good job for KSU after transferring from USF. I think, if he decides to come here, Holtz will gladly take him, if there is a scholarship available.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

He's lobbying to get Vandy removed from the restricted list. So that means he's probably headed to Vandy

• Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

He's lobbying to get Vandy removed from the restricted list. So that means he's probably headed to Vandy

would make sense for him since his old OC is the head coach

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Another QB for Vanderbilt? They must be stockpiling them in case of a nuclear attack. :blink:

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Hmmmmm

Danny O'Brien gets full release

By Heather Dinich

ESPN.com

Archive

In the face of heavy criticism from local and national media, Maryland coach Randy Edsall has changed his mind and decided to grant former quarterback Danny O'Brien a full release from the program with no transfer restrictions, according to a news statement the school issued Wednesday.

Edsall had come under fire recently for restricting O'Brien from transferring to Vanderbilt, where former Maryland offensive coordinator James Franklin is now head coach.

As a freshman in 2010, O'Brien flourished under Franklin, and was named the ACC's rookie of the year. But he struggled last season, Edsall's first as Terrapins coach, and eventually was benched in favor of backup C.J. Brown.

Former offensive lineman Max Garcia and linebacker Mario Rowson also were granted a full release.

It is not uncommon for coaches to restrict players from transferring to schools within the same conference or to opponents who will appear on the schedule in the near future. But that was not the case with Vanderbilt.

"While at first I thought it was important to limit the institutions to which they could transfer, I have since reconsidered my decision," Edsall said in a prepared statement. "At the end of the day, I want what's best for these guys and I wish them well in their futures."

According to The Washington Post, Edsall has questioned whether Franklin had improper contact with O'Brien before he was released and has filed a formal complaint with the ACC.

O'Brien told ESPN.com via Twitter that he doesn't have a No. 1 choice right now, but that Vanderbilt is "obviously a place of interest," along with three other schools.

"I am pleased to be able to move on and pursue a graduate degree and continue my athletic career at the school of my choosing," O'Brien said in the statement. "I would like to thank Coach Edsall for his support throughout this process."

O'Brien will graduate this spring and has two years of eligibility remaining.

Heather Dinich covers the ACC for ESPN.com.

Follow Heather Dinich on Twitter: @ESPN_ACC

• Content Count:  21,365
  • Days Won:  10

Vanderbilt gets a good pickup.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Vanderbilt gets a good pickup.

Along with their other 6 QB's on the roster. Vandy is looking to be the 1st team to play an entire half with just QB's.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Not so fast on O'Brien and Vanderbilt

February, 22, 2012

By Heather Dinich

When Maryland announced this morning that former quarterback Danny O'Brien and two other players would be granted a "full release" from the program with "no transfer restrictions," it failed to mention that on Tuesday Maryland filed a formal complaint with the ACC against Vanderbilt alleging improper contact with O'Brien.

The timing of Maryland’s announcement is somewhat perplexing. If Maryland is still hung up on the allegations against Vanderbilt, is O'Brien really free to take an official visit there?

Until the rules are clear, O’Brien’s high school coach, Todd Willert, said neither of them will be talking to Vanderbilt.

“As of right now, we can’t talk to Vanderbilt at all, or we’re not going to because we don’t really know what the whole process is,†Willert said. “We won’t contact Vanderbilt until we’re sure about what’s going on.â€

Right now, Vanderbilt isn't sure, either.

“We have been informed by the Southeastern Conference that the Atlantic Coast Conference has filed a formal complaint involving Vanderbilt University football on behalf of one of its members," Vanderbilt chancellor David Williams said in a prepared statement. "We are complying with SEC and Vanderbilt procedures and are conducting an investigation on the matter.â€

http://espn.go.com/b...-and-vanderbilt

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

So you're saying there's still a chance? :huh:

Archived