• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

QB Danny O'Brien

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We aren't FSU and having a QB spot that is pretty much wide open with no proven uppperclassmen is a big advantage for a school like USF in recruiting. I'll take two quality high school kids that we can develop over a kid like this that is nothing more than a possible band aid. The minute we bring this kid in is the minute it starts getting used against is in recruiting and frankly since we are not a name school like FSU we need every advantage we can get when it comes to recruiting top talent at the QB spot. Also comparing our situation to FSU is just laughable, FSU is a school with huge name recognition and mutliple national titles. We don't recruit on FSU's level so to try to compare us to them is pretty ridiculous. If there is even a chance that getting this kid would hurt the recruitment of Wouldard, Richardson, O'Korn you have to pass because those are the type of kids that help the program long term and thus are infinitely more valuable.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,355
  • Days Won:  10

We aren't FSU and having a QB spot that is pretty much wide open with no proven uppperclassmen is a big advantage for a school like USF in recruiting. I'll take two quality high school kids that we can develop over a kid like this that is nothing more than a possible band aid. The minute we bring this kid in is the minute it starts getting used against is in recruiting and frankly since we are not a name school like FSU we need every advantage we can get when it comes to recruiting top talent at the QB spot. Also comparing our situation to FSU is just laughable, FSU is a school with huge name recognition and mutliple national titles. We don't recruit on FSU's level so to try to compare us to them is pretty ridiculous. If there is even a chance that getting this kid would hurt the recruitment of Wouldard, Richardson, O'Korn you have to pass because those are the type of kids that help the program long term and thus are infinitely more valuable.

Would they not be redshirting the only Danny can play? I think so if he redshirts this fall. Unless you think we should start a freshman off to gain experience.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,707
  • Days Won:  424

Would they not be redshirting the only Danny can play? I think so if he redshirts this fall. Unless you think we should start a freshman off to gain experience.

That's the only reason I can't really agree with Coach on this and think O'Brien may be worth the gamble ..... unless they have been keeping Matt Floyd under wraps.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I'm back to my original comment. If he's eligible to play THIS fall, then take him. Otherwise no.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Again, I can't imagine any high school QB worth his salt being concerned that there is a senior on the team he may not be able to beat out. A high school QB going to a BCS school is going to redshirt 95% of the time his freshman year. I can't fathom this being a real concern.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Again, I can't imagine any high school QB worth his salt being concerned that there is a senior on the team he may not be able to beat out. A high school QB going to a BCS school is going to redshirt 95% of the time his freshman year. I can't fathom this being a real concern.

+1

• Content Count:  1,894
  • Days Won:  0

We need this guy. This kid can play. I thinik people are forgetting we are out of the spotlight. The expectations of our program are not the same on the outside. We win a few big games and then lose. That is how we are known. We need to land a QB with big time experience and this is the guy. Im all for getting a huge high school recruit but lets be honest here. If we have a chance to get someone who threw for 22/8 as a freshman. Yea yea he struggled the next year but so what. He is smart, his team mates all trusted him as a leader, and in an offense who is in desperate need of accurate intermediate passes this could be a huge match.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I'm back to my original comment. If he's eligible to play THIS fall, then take him. Otherwise no.

If he's eligible immediately, then he won't sign with USF. If you want him, hope he's not eligible til 2013.

• Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

If he's eligible immediately, then he won't sign with USF. If you want him, hope he's not eligible til 2013.

Yup, if he's eligible immediately, then he won't play here since he won't beat out BJ. He's going to go to a school where he can play right away since he doesn't have a lot of time left at the college level. It's 2013 or nothing at USF.

Archived