• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference play starts tonight!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/south-florida-bulls/2011/12/28/2666297/uconn-vs-usf-2011-ncaa-basketball-preview

Not sure if anyone is aware, being I havent seen anything but the prediction contest on the board, but USF opens up Big East play vs UCONN tonight at the St. Pete Forum.

I will be there + 4. How many of you will be there?

How many even know about the game?

How many even care?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,480
  • Days Won:  13

I am trying to head out. The 9pm tip off is a bit of an issue though.

• Content Count:  1,803
  • Days Won:  0

Don't care...USF always pulls one major upset in their way to a 9-27 season though...perhaps tonight will be the night.

• Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Don't care...USF always pulls one major upset in their way to a 9-27 season though...perhaps tonight will be the night.

More like 9-22.

• Content Count:  5,982

TAMPA --

For the first time in the University of South Florida's 41-season men's basketball history, the Bulls will face a defending national champion.

It's obviously a formidable task.

It also sounds like a massive opportunity.

"We're going to come out hard, play with some energy and try to get this win,'' USF senior forward Augustus Gilchrist said. "We've got a chance to put this team on the map. How big would it be? Real big.''

But USF's scenario remains familiar when the Bulls (7-6) face the No. 9-ranked Connecticut Huskies (10-1) in tonight's Big East Conference opener at the St. Pete Times Forum. Since joining the league in 2005, any type of conference victory — big, small or medium — has been challenging.

The Bulls are 23-81 in six previous seasons of Big East regular-season games.

"The Big East is a grind, and you have to get that message across to the newer players who haven't been through it yet,'' USF coach Stan Heath said. "Every game is a war. Preparation is key because most of the games are decided in the last two or three minutes.

"You have to execute, you have to defend and you have to show great toughness if you want to win these type of games. UConn is typical UConn, so it's another challenge.''

UConn looks a little different in important places. Do-everything guard Kemba Walker took an early entry into the NBA draft. Coach Jim Calhoun will miss tonight's game — veteran assistant George Blaney moves up one spot on the bench — as he begins serving a three-game suspension for NCAA recruiting violations.

Elsewhere, though, the Huskies return five key players who started games at some point last season, including celebrated sophomores Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier. UConn's best newcomer is 6-foot-10, 270-pound freshman center Andre Drummond.

"We're going to start seeing a lot bigger guys now that Big East play is starting,'' Gilchrist said. "We have a lot of returners, so it won't be as shocking. Everybody knows you've got to bring it every night.''

"You play teams early in the season and they have one or two good players,'' USF junior forward Toarlyn Fitzpatrick said. "You get to the Big East and those teams have five or six good players. When I was a freshman, it was scary. But those days are over. We believe we can play with these guys.''

It was difficult to build belief last season, when the Bulls suffered through a 23-loss season, including 15 by nine or fewer points.

A similar pattern has formed this year. USF has dropped all six of its games played away from Tampa, including one four-point defeat and a pair of two-pointers. The Bulls, who already have used eight different starting lineups, are back to full strength after weathering a series of injuries and illnesses.

Heath hopes to develop a quality he witnessed with the 2009-10 team, which was by far USF's most successful squad in Big East play (9-9).

"We showed a lot of grit that year,'' Heath said. "We had a go-to player (Dominique Jones) obviously, but everyone stepped up and made plays. With those guys, it didn't matter if 'UConn' was across the chest or 'Georgetown' was across the chest. They didn't care. They were coming at you with confidence.

"I think that's what this team needs. A big win against a terrific team like UConn would really help us to gain that confidence and grit you need in the course of a season.''

http://www2.tbo.com/...iona-ar-341251/

Fact: UCONN is 7-8 with Blaney running the team when Jim Calhoun has missed some games.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,609
  • Days Won:  424

For the first time in the University of South Florida's 41-season men's basketball history, the Bulls will face a defending national champion.

I never really thought about that before and found it surprising ....

Looking at the remaining schedule, I have been wondering if USF can avoid another 20 loss season under Heath. Basically can Stan avoid being on the losing end 14 more times this season. Right now I have USF going 5-13 in the conference putting their record at 12-19 for the reg season. I have them losing in the 1st rd of the B.E.T. which gives them 20 losses again. Heading into tonight's game Stan Heath's record the past 10 seasons is 140 wins - 153 losses. If I'm right about USF having another 20 loss season under him(their 3rd) and combined with his under .500 coaching record the past 10 seasons, I can't see him returning to coach another season at USF or anywhere else. It's unbelievable a HC can have a resume like his and still be coaching college basketball.

Dec 28; Connecticut ; St. Pete Times Forum; 9 p.m.

Jan 01; Rutgers ; St. Pete Times Forum; Noon

Jan 05; Villanova ; at Philadelphia, Pa.; 8 p.m.

Jan 10; Notre Dame ; at South Bend, Ind.; 7 p.m.

Jan 13; Seton Hall ; St. Pete Times Forum; 7 p.m.

Jan 18; St. John's ; St. Pete Times Forum; 7 p.m.

Jan 22; DePaul ; at Chicago, Ill.; 2 p.m.

Jan 24; Marquette ; at Milwaukee, Wisc.; 8 p.m.

Jan 29; Providence ; St. Pete Times Forum; 2 p.m.

Feb 04; Georgetown ; at Washington, D.C.; 11 am

Feb 08; Pittsburgh ; St. Pete Times Forum; 7 p.m.

Feb 11; Providence ; at Providence, R.I.; 4 p.m.

Feb 15; Villanova ; St. Pete Times Forum; 7 p.m.

Feb 19; Pittsburgh ; at Pittsburgh, Pa.; 7 p.m.

Feb 22; Syracuse ; at Syracuse, N.Y.; 7 p.m.

Feb 26; Cincinnati ; St. Pete Times Forum; Noon

Feb 29; Louisville ; at Louisville, Ky.; 7 p.m.

Mar 03; West Virginia* ; St. Pete Times Forum; Noon

Don't know why a game thread got put in here but it is what it is I guess.

12-4 Bulls at the first official timeout. The Bulls are bombing away from deep. Fitz has hit the last 2 from downtown.

12-8 USF at the 11 min mark. Heath trying to shorten the game again

Archived