• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Commit?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

our run defense was already stout. gonna be a hard time getting past this guy. yeeeeezzzz!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

Former sumo wrestler takes on college football

By KYLE HIGHTOWER - Associated Press | AP – Wed, Mar 30, 2011

Three years ago, Soslan Gagloev was on top of the sumo wrestling world.

A prodigy in Japan's celebrated sport, at the age of 19 the Russian was rising in the country's premier sumo division.

But an arrest for marijuana possession in September 2008 and his allegations of match-fixing weeks later eventually got him a lifetime ban and led to him leaving his adopted home of six years.

Three years later, at Webber International University, a private NAIA school just 45 minutes south of Disney World, Gagloev's future is slowly straightening out. And he is finding both solace and redemption in a new sport: college football.

Last month, Japan's sumo association began questioning dozens of top wrestlers in a growing investigation into the same bout-fixing charges that Gagloev made before his dismissal. He says it's given him vindication, but also strengthened a dream to one day play in the NFL. It's a long shot, he knows, but part of a larger healing process for a man that has already had one career taken away.

"I came to reach an American dream and I understood clearly at the time that I need time to do that," Gagloev said with the aid of an interpreter. "I need time to get adjusted. I need time to achieve. ... I sacrificed my family just to come to this country and go to school and learn the culture and learn the football and do the best I can."

Entering his second year at Webber this fall, the 6-foot-4 offensive and defensive lineman has already undergone a major physical transformation from when he arrived here in 2009. He knew only of football through television then, barely spoke a word of English and was armed only with a handful of contacts, including California Sumo Association director Andrew Freund.

Freund used his connections to get Gagloev a workout in Chicago with then-San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary.

Gagloev said Singletary put him through a few drills, but it was clear quickly the 425-pounder was nowhere near ready for professional football. His 40-yard dash time? An unflattering 9 seconds.

"It was one tryout in stadium," Gagloev said. "But my mind is so (naive), I think when I come 'I'm sumo wrestler, trained in Japan. I think in 1 second I come into NFL.'"

In California, Gagloev also came across contacts that eventually led him to Webber and a chance meeting with Nodirbek Talipov, a fellow Russian.

Through his ties with Webber professors, Talipov had helped several international students get enrolled there. He immediately did the same for Gagloev, and the two became friends.

"When I met him he was a little disappointed by himself and he didn't speak much English," Talipov said. "All of that frustration got into him. I met him and I convinced him, 'Give me two or three months. You can definitely be who you want to be in this country.'"

In his first season last year, Gagloev shed over 100 pounds and is currently around 280. He is still very raw on the football field, but Webber coach Kelly Scott said the passion he has is apparent.

Former Warriors safety Vince Anderson became Scott's first Webber player to play in the NFL in 2010. Scott said Gagloev is a long way from doing the same. But he said his sumo skills are unique.

"I think the fact that one, he trained for a professional athlete for so long in the sumo. We knew he had a work ethic," Scott said. "My evaluation of him was off of sumo film. And what I saw was a young man who had good feet, good balance and a lot of strength and power.

"This was a dream of his and I said, 'You know what? Every now and then you take a project on.'"

As for the sumo scandal in Japan that was reaching feverish levels before the country was crippled by the recent earthquake and tsunami, Gagloev — known as Wakanoho when he wrestled — still maintains that everything he said previously was true.

He also maintains that he lost his wallet and when it was found by Japanese police it had the marijuana inside. He said his Japanese lawyer told him that if he didn't take the rap for possession, he would almost certainly face five years in jail.

"I probably would have spent all of my money," he said. "The sumo federation knew the logistics, they knew the details of how the law works and they played that card."

Gagolev said his heart still goes out to Japanese people following the recent disasters and said that though he's recently received apologies from the Japanese media about how his sumo career ended, he's ready to move on.

"I was offered a few weeks ago, but I had to decline it because I've already transformed into a totally different athlete," Gagloev said. "I'm here and I want to achieve what God's given me here. I'm a football player and I want to continue living in this country."

Scott said realistically Gagloev will need a full four years before he can get any serious looks. But for now, just the opportunity is enough for Gagloev.

"It was a good experience," he said through the interpreter. "I thank Japan for the opportunity I was presented with. I took that opportunity and I did the best I could. Whatever happened to me in Japan, it was the best school of my life. If it wasn't for Japan, I would not be here, people would not know about me."

http://news.yahoo.com/former-sumo-wrestler-takes-college-football-20110330-172152-103.html

- I don't care either way if he has a grey past or not. As long as he can block or hit above average, then that's what matters to me. He seems like he wants to atone for previous bs.

• Topic Count:  2,338
  • Content Count:  21,346

You would think a sumo wrestler would have the ability to push opponents around and get a position of leverage.

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

I see him as a good 1st and 2nd down run stuffer, but he isn't quick enough to be consistent rushing the passer. He should be really good at holding gap integrity.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I see him as a good 1st and 2nd down run stuffer, but he isn't quick enough to be consistent rushing the passer. He should be really good at holding gap integrity.

Was going to say something very similar.....but by mid-year he will be drawing a double team and should free up a LB coming up the middle or a nice inside moves by the DE....He a Paul Soliai style player-great gap protection, protects the middle of the line, and allows the LB's and DE's to T-off on the QB or to scrape down the line to get the play from behind...and was it just me or did he look a lot more aggressive in the Sumo ring than on the field? He looked angry in their, but complacent on the field. That could also be because he's twice their size and he know's they stand no chance...

Edited by skingraft

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Him look strong like Bull.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,338
  • Content Count:  21,346

Is this guy really considering USF and are we considering him? Seems like he is a hard worker.

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

Is this guy really considering USF and are we considering him? Seems like he is a hard worker.

Seems like a done deal as long as the transfer goes through.