• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Flipping through the channels

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Good luck drawing anyone to watch this team play North Texas or Tennessee-Chattanooga on a weekly basis.

It would be a lot less but people would come ...

Corbett could become a multi-sport OCS....

I would hope there are more than a couple of thousand non-spoiled USF/college football fans in the area but you may correct ...

He is right. This is a relatively large metropolitan area with lots of things to do, including pro sports & a slew of Gator Nole & Canes fans. Nobody's going to care about what basically would relatively speaking amount to a div 2 football team beating the SMU Mustangs!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

i wish i wasn't this emotionally invested in USF football but i cant help it......i almost cried after WVU kciked that field goal.....

we really needed this year to be our best......but it was the opposite.....

We know how you feel. We had our worst season at the worst possible time. This season may have cost us our football future.

Just for discussion sake, what do you think winning the BE this year would have done for USF after an ass-kicking in a BCS game, losing 4 million dollars (maybe less if it was the Orange Bowl) and being laughed at nationally?

Do you think we would end up in the SEC, Big 12 or ACC because of it?

It would likely have helped recruiting, but to what extent? Not many schollies left this year.

I don't see this as the end of football as we know it at USF. Because as we know it is NOT winning a conference title in any conference. We were fortunate to get asked to the BE in the first place.There was nothing in our past that made us deserving. It was a shot in the dark at some potential that the BE saw.

I'm as pissed as the next guy at the results this year. Yes, it would be nice to say we won the Big East. But NOT winning the Big East (remember we were picked 3rd, not 1st by the BE coaches) ***isn't some death penalty to the program.***

No, but losing our BCS status will be.

Losing our BCS status will not be some death penalty to the program .... What it will do, inititally, is cull the fan herd some .... and it definitely needs some culling.

If you looked around Ray Jay this year that process has started and we are in a BCS conference. Don't think being in an AQ has anything to do with it. Just IMO.

Good luck drawing anyone to watch this team play North Texas or Tennessee-Chattanooga on a weekly basis.

??? Where did those schools come from? Thought we were talking about the BE losing its AQ. Should be mostly the same schedule we play now substituting UCF, Houston, SMU for Pitt, 'cuse and WVU. UCF game will outdraw any that we're losing and Houston and SMU will do about the same or slightly worse than Pitt and 'cuse. Should things work out and Boise gets thrown in every 3 or 4 years that should be a good draw as well.

All this goes back to this one 5 - 7 season spelling Doomsday for our program. IMO that isn't the case.

It's not about who's in the conference. It's about Being an AQ program. That's why everybody (including USF) is trying to go to the ACC, SEC, BIG 12, etc, etc.

Perhaps we need reminding that players like Mike Jenkins, Jason Piere-Paul, etc, etc, only came here because we had a shot at a BCS berth. Without that, those type players go elsewhere. Simple as that!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I see the AQ going away and then all things are equal..... I'll be the first to admit that a 8 or 7 win team does not need to be in a BCS bowl game.... the only true equalizer is a playoff system and win your conference...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,056
  • Days Won:  469

It's not about who's in the conference. It's about Being an AQ program. That's why everybody (including USF) is trying to go to the ACC, SEC, BIG 12, etc, etc.

Perhaps we need reminding that players like Mike Jenkins, Jason Piere-Paul, etc, etc, only came here because we had a shot at a BCS berth. Without that, those type players go elsewhere. Simple as that!

It's too dramatic for some, but I agree with SB. I just remember this program as being a promising, up and comer, talked about throughout the country. Now it seems to be more like a UCF - even more so, since that crappy program will become our rival. The combination and culmination of crap this program has run into over the last 18 months - the Leavitt fiasco, the Big East fiasco, this season (apparent vaccum of leadership/accountability)...we seem adrift. But I don't expect all to see it that way. If I am a top recruit previously committed to USF and thought about continuing to build that program, I might be reconsidering. If I was a potential donor or business sponsor, I'd be concerned. Should the BE collapse as we remain still and silent, it could really hurt. I guess to put it in the least dramatic way, the momentum the program had built has tailed off more rapidly than it should have. I don't know that we're thought of us anything other than another crummy team - sort of like our basketball program. That separation may be gone and with it will be significant $$$.

Proceed to tell me how wrong I am. I hope you are more convincing that what I have seen on TV and in the press.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,717
  • Days Won:  109

I won't tell you you are wrong, but I think you might be taking things to an extreme. I don't think there are "donors" out there waiting for us to win a Big East championship. Donors donate no matter what. "Sponsors" you might be right. A Top 15 finish one year could draw more sponsors.

As far as the recruits, we were stealing maybe 1 or 2 guys a year from the Florida Big 3 but were almost always fighting with L'ville, UCF, WV for the same guys. Don't see that changing much. And I will point out the Boise's and BYU's that do OK without the automatic bid.

And I don't know about how much we were talked about around the country. The only thing that got us talked about were the out of conference wins (except the 2007 WVU game). But Auburn, FSU, Miami type wins did more for our national notoriety than the Big East wins (since we didn't have many).

This is killing me to be the optimistic, talking you back from the ledge guy. I'm worried about you Brad. This isn't like you.

I think some of you will just need to see it happen. Then you will be on here saying ... "I KNEW IT!!!! HOW COULD WE LET THIS HAPPEN?"

lol

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I think some of you will just need to see it happen. Then you will be on here saying ... "I KNEW IT!!!! HOW COULD WE LET THIS HAPPEN?"

lol

true

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We're all disappointed in how this season turned out and the landscape out there doesn't make it much better. Whatever ends up happening will probably be somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. Just have to let it play out and keep supporting the program however we can.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

watching the only team that REALLY REALLY beat us this year, trying to get their 6th win to be bowl eligible? UNBELIEVABLE!

We literally had the talent to beat EVERY team on our schedule and we go and have arguably our worst season (in terms of how we played each game)

Sorry to beat a dead horse, but man o man did we ever let a great opportunity get away during a year in which we REALLY needed to make a statement that we belong in the BCS!

it is a falacy to think that

you are fooling yourself

usf was a terrible team

Archived