• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does USF basketball suck so much?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  445
  • Days Won:  1

Both of our basketball teams are awful and I just can't see why we struggle so much.

Especially women's basketball. This area is loaded with Women's basketball talent.

10 point loss to Idaho State? That school even exist?

I thought Jose would start to turn the corner after that NIT title win...that looks more and more like a fluke run every year.

Lets not even start on Men's basketball.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

It's because of Doug Funny .... he need to go.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Can't speak for ladies BB, but men's got screwed up with McCullum coming in at the worst possible time. They were worried more about having nice kids on the team rather than putting together a BE caliber team. McCullum was a nice guy, but sucked all the goodwill and momentum that Seth started to rebuild from the program just as we entered the toughest conference in the country.

Bad, boring basketball from an already difficult program created a 7 year disaster (even with the 1 decent '09-'10 year) attendance became crap while interest in the program died during the McCullum era.

The scary part is if we don't turn things around soon football could be on the same track. (We drew 19,000 against UL).

A bad, boring product in any sport will lead to apathy. Especially in Tampa Bay area.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,467
  • Days Won:  19

I have been watching for 40 years. We have only had a few glimpses of decent teams in that time and overall trend has been down since the end of the Paschal era. We have almost too many issues to name. We are finally fixing the facilities issue but conference realignment will probably continue to make recruiting higher profile players a tough nut to crack.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Our facilities were a joke and there was no fan support. The athletics department in the McCullum era didn't shell out the cash to get a good coach. Heath is a huge improvement over McCullum, but we also took a bad CUSA team and transitioned it into the Big East.

What stellar athlete is going to want to come play in a dumpy arena in front of 500 fans (or 4500 UConn/Cuse fans and 500 Bulls fans) to lose 16 out of 18 conference games. The team is improving, the facilities are improving, and the coaching has improved. I don't think Stan Heath is going any where for a while, but he took a job under the worse possible circumstances. His recruiting is picking up and his facilities are improving. He's still got opportunity to prove himself. He did a decent job at Arkansas(?).

That's my opinion on why USF basketball sucks so much in a nut shell.

• Content Count:  2,408
  • Days Won:  5

Basketball is a tough sell in the state of Florida. Look at how long it took UF to become a decent program and they tried for years. Give it time with the new facilities. We will get there but it is not an overnight fix. I trust Stan will get us our first NCAA victory

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Our facilities were a joke and there was no fan support. The athletics department in the McCullum era didn't shell out the cash to get a good coach. Heath is a huge improvement over McCullum, but we also took a bad CUSA team and transitioned it into the Big East.

What stellar athlete is going to want to come play in a dumpy arena in front of 500 fans (or 4500 UConn/Cuse fans and 500 Bulls fans) to lose 16 out of 18 conference games. The team is improving, the facilities are improving, and the coaching has improved. I don't think Stan Heath is going any where for a while, but he took a job under the worse possible circumstances. His recruiting is picking up and his facilities are improving. He's still got opportunity to prove himself. He did a decent job at Arkansas(?).

That's my opinion on why USF basketball sucks so much in a nut shell.

You sir, hit the nail right on the head.

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

One word - TRADITION

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

No leadership, no care from the people who get paid to care, bad coach, bad fans, etc.

Only way to fix it it to take a drastic measure and hire a no bs proven or diamond in the rough coach.

No way we do it with what we have in there now.

Lots of schools who do not have tradition, show up after they start winning. You see it every year with Cindarella teams.

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

hire bobby knight they won't suck

Archived