• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why does USF basketball suck so much?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

When Greenberg was here at we were always a win or few away from the NCAA tourney, the Sundome was rocking. Its very easy to walk over to the Sundome if theres something worth watching.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honest question. What kind of offense does USF men's basketball run? Is it a modified "half court set," where everyone just seems to stand around and wait the rock to come to them? I know we have some basketball fans on here that can give me some info.

hilarious you had to write "honest question" before this.

our offense is stand around, pass it back and forth and force up a bad shot or get a shot clock violation.

we have zero identity on offense. we're not great defensively either

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,085
  • Days Won:  469

When Greenberg was here at we were always a win or few away from the NCAA tourney, the Sundome was rocking. Its very easy to walk over to the Sundome if theres something worth watching.

You mean NIT, right? I think we only made two of those during his tenure. My memory doesn't support being a conference championship win away from the NCAAs. I do recall a number of first and second round exits however.

Check the attendance in Seth's final season(s) - it was dismal.

With that said, Seth was a master promoter. But, I think he plateuaed here. Perhaps just about any coach would. But in my time of watching baksetball at USF he did the most for the program. He just couldn't make it routinely competitive in the old C-USA.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,730
  • Days Won:  425

When Greenberg was here at we were always a win or few away from the NCAA tourney, the Sundome was rocking.

If any of that were true, he'd still be here ... In just two years, Mac got closer than Seth did to the Big Dance.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

You mean NIT, right? I think we only made two of those during his tenure. My memory doesn't support being a conference championship win away from the NCAAs. I do recall a number of first and second round exits however.

With that said, Seth was a master promoter. But, I think he plateuaed here. Perhaps just about any coach would. But in my time of watching baksetball at USF he did the most for the program. He just couldn't make it routinely competitive in the old C-USA.

And during one of those NIT runs, I distinctly remember losing to New Mexico in the 1st round. I was at USF during the Greenberg years, and, IMHO, the only time the Dome "rocking" was when we either played UF or FSU. In the old C-USA, we always seemed to have trouble with UNC-Charlotte and Saint Louis, and we weren't even that great during the Jackson/Waldon years.

And during one of those NIT runs,

I'm not sure we can call a one and done a run, can we? B)

• Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

McCollum wasn't a bad coach. He actually was one that ran good sets, compared to those Greenberg ran. People forget that McCollum was the one that recruited Dominque Jones and also established Terrance Leather as an all-conference player. When he arrived, Seth left the cupboard bare. Leather and I think Chris Howard were it. McCollum also did win some games against top 25 teams in his time. Seth could never beat a top 25 team.

Tampa basketball. The glory years of Tampa high school basketball were in the 1998-2000 time frame. During this time, we saw Desmond Allison go to Kentucky, Casey Sanders to Duke, Stephen and Joey Graham to Oklahoma State, Nick Smith to Illinois, James Anthony to E. Tenn State and lead them to a win against Wake Forest in the NCAA, Jeff James to Butler.

Seth's biggest mistake was not trying to get Stephen and Joey Graham, Nick Smith and Terrance Leather to all play on his squad. Instead, he chose Jimmy Baxter over the twins. Nick Smith went to Illinois, due to lack of interest from Seth. Leather ended up at USF last minute, due to another JUCO player he was recruiting went to UCONN.

The lineup would have been:

Joey Graham 6'8" (ended up being a lotter pick in the NBA)

Stephen Graham 6'6"

BB Waldon 6'8"

Altron Jackson 6'6"

Reggie Kohn 6'1"

on the roster as well:

Nick Smith 7'3"

Terrance Leather 6'9"

Seth gave me the argument that Stephen Graham was not "CUSA" material. I told Seth, he was "NBA" material and he laughed at me. Stephen has played in the NBA for like 6 years now.

Tampa teams continue to do fairly well in high school hoops. You just have to pay attention to when the games are and go see them. Especially the big tournaments that bring in teams from all over the country (Hooters Tournament, Kingdom of the Sun, etc). These are the best teams from all over the country and the Florida teams do quite well against them. It's about keeping the talent in state, as far as recruting is concerned. Also, how many kids have we got from IMG or Montverde....two top preps schools. Answer...zero.

Attendance for hoops....back in 1989 and 1990, the average crowd was 7000. And that was during the SunBelt years.

We were always competitive in C-USA and that tournament wasnt unthinkable to win to get an auto tourney spot. Thats more what I meant and we werent all that far from making the tourney, during the final stretch at least there was a twinkle of a light in the tunnel. Now thats closed before conference play

We have no shot of winning the BE tourney, granted it is A LOT harder, but as a coach thats what you signed up for. You stared into the interviewers eyes and said "Yes, I can win here!" with confidence. "I deserve the money you are offering". Where is the guy from that interview at USF? Thats what I want to know.

Wagers, no one forgets McCullum got Dojo and when Seth left i feel he was less than plateued, he was exhausted. HE is a good recruiter and couldnt get kids here. But someone can, sometimes I think I can. Id recruit part time for a small price. Kind of kidding.

McCullum wasnt a terrible x and o guy but he couldnt recruit anyone, Dojo was a diamond in the rough. In the Big East Mac was like an asst principal trying to recruit against movie stars. Heath just seems way in over his head in every aspect.

Amazing in 1997 if you told me in the year 2011 you would wish you had Seth Greenberg, I wouldve told you youre crazy. During McCullums tenure if I said you would rather have Mac coaching in 2011, I would have told you youre on Keith Richard type drugs. I think I'd with with both now, Seth because hes clearly a better coach and Mac because at least we didnt pay him big money, but had the same result.

McCollum wasn't a bad coach. He actually was one that ran good sets, compared to those Greenberg ran. People forget that McCollum was the one that recruited Dominque Jones and also established Terrance Leather as an all-conference player. When he arrived, Seth left the cupboard bare. Leather and I think Chris Howard were it. McCollum also did win some games against top 25 teams in his time. Seth could never beat a top 25 team.

Mac also brought in our other NBAer, SoJo and an almost NBAer in KG. Problem with McCullum was he couldn't bring in enough quality or keep what he had healthy .... and I think it's Brian Swift instead of Chris Howard you're thinking of as a leftover.

We were always competitive in C-USA and that tournament wasnt unthinkable to win to get an auto tourney spot. Thats more what I meant and we werent all that far from making the tourney, during the final stretch at least there was a twinkle of a light in the tunnel. Now thats closed before conference play

We have no shot of winning the BE tourney, granted it is A LOT harder, but as a coach thats what you signed up for. You stared into the interviewers eyes and said "Yes, I can win here!" with confidence. "I deserve the money you are offering". Where is the guy from that interview at USF? Thats what I want to know.

He was also told he would be getting the tools to win here. Those tools are almost in place ...

Archived