• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's new 320K Bill a year...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

there was also another rule passed that says schools can now offer multi year scholarships. this has been overlooked and i believe it will help schools like ours to recruit against the SEC schools who love to over sign and then cut kids after a year or two. they might think twice about signing with bama for 1 year when we can offer 4. if bama does give them a 4 year then saban won't be able to turn over his roster which gives him a competitive advantage. this rule change is huge. bama and the SEC west in particular has been taking advantage of the 1 year rule as most coaches won't actually cut kids they make a commitment to.

here is the espn excerpt

• Individual schools can choose to award multiyear scholarships. Scholarships may not be revoked based on athletic performance.

http://espn.go.com/c...p-rules-changes

I think this is going to be a much bigger deal than the $2,000 stipend.

as it should be

the talent should get most of the money

head coaches are way over paid for the most part

few make a difference

nick saban makes a difference

usf hasnt not had a difference maker

nick saban cuts corners when it comes to scholarship rules just like bear bryant did. that (and the fact they have friendly boosters) is why he is so successful.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

When I was at FAM, I got an academic scholarship that included room, board, tuition, books, and a stipend ($1000). I would assume an athletic scholarship would be similar. If it wasn't the NCAA should be ashamed of themselves.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

When I was at FAM, I got an academic scholarship that included room, board, tuition, books, and a stipend ($1000). I would assume an athletic scholarship would be similar. If it wasn't the NCAA should be ashamed of themselves.

Athletic scholarships had stipends until 1972, when they were removed.

Thanks Martin.

So basically all athletes leave school in debt even though they have "full" scholarships.

Shameful

• Content Count:  168
  • Days Won:  0

A couple of things that are not acurate.

1) All scholarships are for 1 year. The coach gives you a new contract each year and there is no guarrantee that you contract will be extended.

2) All sports are not 100% scholarships. The money sports like football and basketball usually are, especially large schools but, the other sports do not get enough scholarships to allow for full rides. Except in womens sports who get full rides if they cxan walk and chew gam at the same time. Many times full ride scholarships for women go unused because they can not find any one who wants them.

3) Even full ride scholarships do not cover all of the cost at school. Travel back and forth from home, clothing, car and travel expenses, dates, phones, etc are not included. My sons had 60% rides at different sec and acc schools, which was a lot for golf scholarships. It cost me $15,000 per year at NCState, $12,000 at LSU and %8,000 at Ole Miss over and above the scholarship money they received.

4) They can not have any jobs are raise any monies unless special aproval while onm scholarship. I was very suprised when I found out that Grothe had a job in the off season.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

A couple of things that are not acurate.

1) All scholarships are for 1 year. The coach gives you a new contract each year and there is no guarrantee that you contract will be extended.

2) All sports are not 100% scholarships. The money sports like football and basketball usually are, especially large schools but, the other sports do not get enough scholarships to allow for full rides. Except in womens sports who get full rides if they cxan walk and chew gam at the same time. Many times full ride scholarships for women go unused because they can not find any one who wants them.

3) Even full ride scholarships do not cover all of the cost at school. Travel back and forth from home, clothing, car and travel expenses, dates, phones, etc are not included. My sons had 60% rides at different sec and acc schools, which was a lot for golf scholarships. It cost me $15,000 per year at NCState, $12,000 at LSU and %8,000 at Ole Miss over and above the scholarship money they received.

4) They can not have any jobs are raise any monies unless special aproval while onm scholarship. I was very suprised when I found out that Grothe had a job in the off season.

they are changing the 1 year rule. they will allow schools to offer multiyear scholarships. see espn article linked above.

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I'm so tired of the "we should pay athletes" talk. They already get full scholarships, most get additional financial aid, free books, free tutors, and some have other scholarships they earned (bright futures that may pay their entire tuition, etc.). When a student has extra money from scholarships and grants leftover after paying tuition and room and board (if they live on campus) the money gets given directly to them. Some of these athletes are getting back over $10,000 a semester. They do not need another $2,000. if they need extra money they can take out loans like I did and millions of regular students have to every year throughout the country.

I agree wholeheartedly. My son is a freshman and he had to take loans to go to USF in addition to the thousands that we have to pay. He gets Bright Futures but that isn't a drop in the bucket any more. My other question is why their parents can't pay for their spending money?

I'm so tired of the "we should pay athletes" talk. They already get full scholarships, most get additional financial aid, free books, free tutors, and some have other scholarships they earned (bright futures that may pay their entire tuition, etc.). When a student has extra money from scholarships and grants leftover after paying tuition and room and board (if they live on campus) the money gets given directly to them. Some of these athletes are getting back over $10,000 a semester. They do not need another $2,000. if they need extra money they can take out loans like I did and millions of regular students have to every year throughout the country.

I agree wholeheartedly. My son is a freshman and he had to take loans to go to USF in addition to the thousands that we have to pay. He gets Bright Futures but that isn't a drop in the bucket any more. My other question is why their parents can't pay for their spending money?

Most of these young men come from very humble home income (much like myself).

Making it through college financially would have been near impossible.

Also, I am sure in the eyes of the NCAA most family members (those not in immediate family) would be looked on as hangers on types.

The NCAA is archaic and leave it at that.

When a coach has to sit out a year for "transferring" employers, then it will be a more fair institution.

• Content Count:  1,981

I'm so tired of the "we should pay athletes" talk. They already get full scholarships, most get additional financial aid, free books, free tutors, and some have other scholarships they earned (bright futures that may pay their entire tuition, etc.). \

And I'm tired of people saying the same thing above. How many hours of "work" must a non-athlete student that gets a full ride put forth? Student-athletes get a full ride but put a lot of work for that "free" ride, and they can't work a regular job like a regular student w/ a scholarship can.

• Content Count:  168

A LOT of these kids only go to college because it is required to ne a professional football player. The colleges are making a fortune out of them and they are preventing them from going from high school to their profession like a baseball ,basketball,golfer, etc.

IF the NCAA requires them to go to at least 2 years of college, so they can exploit them, then they should pay for it.

Don't tell me that they are getting these great educations because we all know that is a lie. They usually are in a field that an education is not that advantagious and a lot of the time they don't graduate.

When someone goes to school for a real degree, and they graduate, there is no way to take this away from them. When a person goes to college to play football and they get hurt, their career is gone.

At successful programs like UF, football pays for everything. All of the womens sports and a lot of the non money sports as well as putting a loy of money into the general fund. Tell me what math class your kid goes to does that.

College footbal would loose badly if any kid ever took them to court.

It is a one sided contract.

1) Can not bargain for pay.

2) Can not leave without loosing a year of play.

3) No guarranteed contract.

4) Being unfairly limited because of a coach that was not fair.

5) No abality to complain about unfair treatment.

Coaches lie to kids every day/ Coaches can destroy a players career and their is no way to complain. It's the closest thing to slavery as you will ever see in America and there is nothing a kid can do about it.

Archived