• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's new 320K Bill a year...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  64
  • Days Won:  0

I think the student athlete wins. The 3rd rule passed was a postseason ban if school not academically fit so now these kids get to go to college on a four year scholarship with some extra cash in their pocket. If they don't work out in the field instead of the university just cutting them and picking up some other kid, they still have to get them through college academically or the team might not make the bowl game. for most kids if they realize the football thing will not work out, they might start thinking about what they really want out of. Olmsted instead of leaving for the ufl or something like that.

We win because now every university has to hold on to that kid that does not work out on the field for longer so other teams can compete for some of the better talent. This will lead to parity in college football.

Who can argue with a system that can potentially create parity while ensuring these kids get a better chance of getting a real higher education

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  168

I am 100% for whatever you can do to help the kids, and make a more level playing field. I know a lot of people who have played for SEC football teams. Everyone that I know will tell you (off the record) that they were paid to play. The joke is that aparently Miss state and Arkansas have been 2 of the biggest offenders in the last 20 years. Before that it was difficult to beat Tenn and Bama.

I find it hard to believe that the NCAA knows that Auburn gave Newton's father $200,000 but since Cam didn't know about it there is no foul. Are you kiding me? The funny part is that Miss st is being checked out because they blew the whistle. Even though it's true that they admitted to making a $180,000 offer. The only reason they blew the whistle was because they were mad they were out bid.

Is there a reason that the NCAA doesn't penalize Miami? It's because it would not be their best interest to penalize them right now. It would be a lot better money wise if they remove some of their wins 10 years from now. Exactly how do you remove wins? Does that allow someone else to go back and go to a bowl game?

It's very hard to argue how corrupt the NCAA is, and the amount the universities and coaches are making off the players.

• Content Count:  565

Man some assistant professors are making 300k that is nothing.

At what institution are asst. professors making 300K?

And likening playing a sport to slavery is the most ridiculous and borderline insulting thing I've ever heard. If athletes are not happy with their scholarships, as well as the numerous opportunities for other forms of financial aid both at the state, federal, and private level, they are free to walk away.

• Content Count:  168

And go where?

Working on a road crew. Tearing off roofs. Diggging ditches.

A LOT of these kids are shoved through school because we don't take the time to teach them because they can tackle someone and we don't want to make them miss a game.

Everyone knows their only chance for financial stability is on the football field and they require them to play in college to get to the next level.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

And likening playing a sport to slavery is the most ridiculous and borderline insulting thing I've ever heard. If athletes are not happy with their scholarships, as well as the numerous opportunities for other forms of financial aid both at the state, federal, and private level, they are free to walk away.

That right there is a misconception. Full ride athletes are not allowed "other forms of financial aid".

They get their scholly. Other financial aid forms go to the school first. If somehow these other forms go above and beyond the tuition, room, board, and books, they MIGHT get a reimbursement check. The only way these young men can get some "walking around money" is if their immediate family can provide it to them. Don't let it be an uncle, cousin, aunt, or good friend from the block, because that is an NCAA violation. So if their family is not well enough off that leaves them with trying to get a a student loan. And even that comes with scrutiny.

The NCAA institution is flawed at its core

• Content Count:  565

That right there is a misconception. Full ride athletes are not allowed "other forms of financial aid".

They get their scholly. Other financial aid forms go to the school first. If somehow these other forms go above and beyond the tuition, room, board, and books, they MIGHT get a reimbursement check. The only way these young men can get some "walking around money" is if their immediate family can provide it to them. Don't let it be an uncle, cousin, aunt, or good friend from the block, because that is an NCAA violation. So if their family is not well enough off that leaves them with trying to get a a student loan. And even that comes with scrutiny.

The NCAA institution is flawed at its core

Incorrect. The only reason that student athletes would be denied additional scholarships is if the amount of the scholarship, in addition to everything else they receive, exceeds the maximum cost of attendance that is set for every student at USF by the university. Many athletes receive Pell Grants and some are eligible for Bright Futures.

Archived