• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SEC huge goof- Another Domino falls.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

This is too funny.

SEC Accidentally Announces Missouri To SEC

Published on: October 27, 2011 | Written by: Clay Travis

86b4df912fa91b5.jpg

In what may go down as the most ridiculous aspects of conference realignment, the SEC had everything prepared to announce Missouri as the 14th member of the conference set to begin play in 2012. The publication date on the article's release is 10/22, this past Saturday. But the article references Monday. OKTC became aware of the posting this evening thanks to Twitter. Honestly, you guys are our eyes and ears. I read everything you guys send me, even the "your gay" jokes.

Around 10:30 Dane Burroughs, whose Twitter handle you can find here tipped me off to the existence of these pages on the SEC Network.

He said he was tipped off by a posting on this message board.

Multiple Missouri fans have also emailed saying a poster on their message board became aware these pages existed when he searched "Missouri" on the SEC website.

Regardless of how the pages became available, it's a major goof. And one I knew that the SEC would immediately seek to rectify once I requested a comment from the league office.

So I went ahead and copied all of the text which I am reproducing for you here. The key question that hangs over realignment now is what, if anything, changed to keep this from being officially announced already?

Since this content was all rapidly taken down, I've captured and replicated those pages here. My favorite part? College football writers Dennis Dodd and Pat Forde listed alongside Brad Pitt and Sheryl Crow as famous alumni.

University Of Missouri: What You Need To Know

Missouri-SEC Connections: A History

Homecoming Tradition Traced To Missouri

Missouri To The SEC: The Dortch Report (Basketball)

Missouri To The SEC: Barnhart's Take

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Given the ever-changing conference paradigm over the past year, the Southeastern Conference has continued to demonstrate its commitment to maintaining its stature as one of the nation’s premier conferences by welcoming the University of Missouri as the league’s 14th member, Commissioner Mike Slive announced Monday.

Missouri joins Texas A&M University as the league’s two new institutions who will begin full membership on July 1, 2012. It is the first expansion of the SEC membership since Arkansas and South Carolina joined the conference in 1992.

Missouri was a charter member of the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association in 1907, which became the Big Six Conference in 1964, the Big Eight Conference in 1964 and the Big 12 Conference in 1996.

Geographically, it is a natural fit as the state of Missouri touches more states (Arkansas, Kentucky and Tennessee) that currently are home to an SEC institution than any other state that is not in the league’s previous 13-member footprint. Like the majority of the cities in the SEC, Columbia, Mo., is a college-centered town with a metropolitan population of 164,283, making it the fifth-largest city in the state of Missouri.

With an enrollment of 32,415, the University of Missouri boasts a strong academic resume, as it is one of only five universities nationwide with law, medicine, veterinary medicine and a research reactor on one campus. Six of Missouri’s sports teams last season led the Big 12 in graduation rate for their respective sports.

Culturally, Missouri is as well known for its barbecue, country music, history and rich tradition as the majority of the current states of the SEC.

Missouri is one of only 35 public U.S. universities invited to membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). It will become the fourth SEC school that is part of the AAU, joining Florida, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt.

Monday’s announcement marks just the fourth time in the history of the conference that the SEC will expand its membership. In a landscape that has seemed ever-changing in recent years, the SEC has exemplified stability as 10 of its original 13 members remain.

The league began as a 13-team league until Sewanee’s departure from the conference in 1940. After Georgia Tech’s move to independent status in 1964, the league had 11 members before Tulane departed in 1966, leaving the SEC as a 10-team conference for more than two decades.

At the start of the decade of the 1990s, a similar shift in conference alignment allowed Arkansas and South Carolina to join the SEC. The benefits have been nothing short of outstanding.

Soon after joining the league, the Razorbacks claimed the 1994 NCAA Championship in men’s basketball and finished as the NCAA runner-up the following year. They made their first appearance in the SEC Championship football game in 1995, appearing again in 2002 and 2006.

The Arkansas women’s basketball team made its first-ever Final Four appearance in 1998 before winning the WNIT the next season. The level of track and field in the SEC was quickly raised with the addition of the Razorbacks. Arkansas’ men won cross country national titles in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1998, 1999 and 2000. Men’s NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships came every year from 1993-2000 and again in 2003, 2005 and 2006. The men also claimed NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships from 1993-1999 and again in 2003.

South Carolina won the Women’s NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championship in 2002, becoming, at the time, just the second different SEC team to claim an NCAA Women’s Outdoor Track and Field Championship. The past two seasons have been magical ones for the Gamecocks, as they have captured back-to-back NCAA Championships in baseball and advanced to the SEC Championship game in football for the first time in the program’s history.

On September 25, 2011, Texas A&M was announced as the league’s 13th member, beginning with the 2012-13 academic year.

http://outkickthecoverage.com/sec-accidentally-announces-missouri-to-sec.php

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,657
  • Days Won:  424

I guess there were some legal reasons why this hasn't been officially announced but you knew when Missouri came out and said they were "exploring options", it was, indeed, a real done deal with the SEC ...

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I guess there were some legal reasons why this hasn't been officially announced but you knew when Missouri came out and said they were "exploring options", it was, indeed, a real done deal with the SEC ...

That. But this kind of makes it obvious for the last 25 people who didn't buy it. Unfortunately some of them from here, ahem.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Just like when it was announced that Pitt & Syracuse had "applied" to the Big East, everything was a done deal.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Oooops

• Content Count:  145
  • Days Won:  0

We're at the top of the big roller coaster ready to plunge downward...

topthrillrollercoaster2.jpg

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

IS USF AN AAU MEMBER?

seems like a good club to join

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Yup, someone leaks that they're going, then they spend 2-3 weeks doing CYA just so no one gets sued. Par for the course.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

as long as they don't make eye contact

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,712
  • Days Won:  109

IS USF AN AAU MEMBER?

seems like a good club to join

Not yet. But it is something they are working towards and expect to attain at some point (according to Pres. Genshaft at the ribbon cutting for Muma Center)

Archived