• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting Philosphy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

plenty of talent in our own backyard. we need to keep them home. look at the kids from this area that litter SEC and ACC rosters. why do we need to go out of state to find 3 star talent when we can get plenty of that here. not to mention plenty of 4 star talent leaving the area.

check out this article from

SI

An SI study of 2004-08 recruiting data for the 65 BCS-conference schools and Notre Dame revealed that programs which draw at least 50 percent of their players from within 200 miles or from within their home state stand a far better chance of winning consistently than those that did not.

Read more: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz1beNHzYJ7

there are over 340+ D1 recruits that come out of this state every year. look at all the 4 star talent in this state. we need to get those kids and keep them from clemson, auburn, etc. why do we have to go out of state to find better athletes?hell we could build a hell of a program with just kids from the three counties surrounding our school.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

UF doesn't recruit solely in FL, FSU doesn't, Miami doesn't. None of them ever have. You need to plug kids into the needs you have. I'm not saying you need even 30% of the team from out of state, but if you can find a player in a position of need from somewhere else then we should go after them. Because what we are doing now ain't working.

I would take the Running backs that UCONN has had over the years from CT, MA and NJ over any back we have had here with the possible exception of Hall. Or the Pitt backs from PA or most of the backs Rutgers from NY or NJ. You don't think most of the TEs in the conference have been better than what we have had here? How many of those were from FL?

I just think we limit our choices and talent pool too much by the way we recruit.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,698
  • Days Won:  424

UF doesn't recruit solely in FL, FSU doesn't, Miami doesn't. None of them ever have. You need to plug kids into the needs you have. I'm not saying you need even 30% of the team from out of state, but if you can find a player in a position of need from somewhere else then we should go after them. Because what we are doing now ain't working.

I would take the Running backs that UCONN has had over the years from CT, MA and NJ over any back we have had here with the possible exception of Hall. Or the Pitt backs from PA or most of the backs Rutgers from NY or NJ. You don't think most of the TEs in the conference have been better than what we have had here? How many of those were from FL?

I just think we limit our choices and talent pool too much by the way we recruit.

Bottom line is you're still talking about the leftovers from all these far off states and until we have the recruiting budgets of UF, FSU and UM,we're going to get more bang for our buck driving to recruits ... Plus, I think this is where the youth of our program may come in. All the historical, traditional programs have long established recruiting networks around the country ... even the so called lesser programs.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

And those schools athletic departments have private planes that can be used to recruit.

Rutgers, UConn, Louisville, WVU and Cincy all hit Florida hard...for a reason.

If you wanna blow a good portion of the budget recruiting Connecticut donate it

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I thought we had a plane someone donated a few years back.

Also, if we want to reach into parts of Georgia to recruit that is ok because that state is relatively underrecruited. The only positions we should scour far and wide for are defensive tackles and offensive tackles. Everything else is plentiful in Florida and we need to beat out the nc states, west virginias and wake forests for what we need.

I took a look at the conference leaders (on offense) going back to 2007. With all the recruits coming out of fl, the only position where FL kids really made an impact in the conference as leaders in the conference was at WR. That goes back to the argument that someone made earlier in the thread about the best athletes may be coming out of Florida, but are the best football players?

Perhaps we have to continue to recruit this way because of budget reasons, but if we continue to do so then we will continue to get the same results.

Again, if UCF, FIU and FAU can all recruit from other states, why can't we? Just my opinion, but until we start recruiting like a Big East team we won't break out and compete on a consistent basis. We haven't even competed in this conference yet, let alone on a consistent basis.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

USF is not built like a BIg East team. We are built for the ACC right now. I believe we could compete far better there than here. Obviously that's not an option I'm just saying. We dont have those BIG BOYS on the line the way the WVU, Rutgers, and Pitt do. That, to me, is the biggest void we are missing right now.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I took a look at the conference leaders (on offense) going back to 2007. With all the recruits coming out of fl, the only position where FL kids really made an impact in the conference as leaders in the conference was at WR. That goes back to the argument that someone made earlier in the thread about the best athletes may be coming out of Florida, but are the best football players?

Perhaps we have to continue to recruit this way because of budget reasons, but if we continue to do so then we will continue to get the same results.

Again, if UCF, FIU and FAU can all recruit from other states, why can't we? Just my opinion, but until we start recruiting like a Big East team we won't break out and compete on a consistent basis. We haven't even competed in this conference yet, let alone on a consistent basis.

you want us to recruit out of state because ucf, fau and fiu do? how much success have they had?

read the sports illustrated report that I linked. it clearly states that teams that are able to recruit within a 200 mile radius of campus have the most sustained success.

we need to recruit our area better.

I was making the point that if UCF, FAU and FIU can afford to recruit out of state we can afford it.

The article says greater than 50%. Nowhere in that article does it say anything about 98%. Nor does it state anywhere in that article that any team who recruits greater than 98% from their own state has had any degree of success anywhere.

The point I am making about recruiting is that our talent pool for what we need is too limited because it is too picked over by everyone everywhere. If we have to go out and find a top notch RB from somewhere else then we have to do it. There aren't so many top notch QBs from the state of FL. There are a few, but not so many. if we have to go outside the state then so be it. You do what you must to build a winning team. Not just put a warm body on the field because he is within 200 miles of campus. Holtz and Snyder should have plenty of connections to begin to open up pipelines to recruit other areas of the country. If we have to expand just into their areas of comfort then at least we are starting to do something. We hired Holtz to take the program to a new height. In my opinion that means more than just managing a game differently. Which he hasn't really proven he can do quite yet either.

If we don't begin to find the funds to do this, it's my opinion that we will get more of what we have had so far in this conference. You can say all you want about recruiting the state better, but if we are in the mix already for a lot of these kids and they aren't coming here, what more are you going to do to get them to come here? I doubt that Leavitt and Holtz didn't give everything they had in recruiting these kids. Now that the faclilities are in place it will make a difference, but if coaches from the northeast and midwest can convince FL to freeze their asses off why couldn't our coaches start convincing some of the northern kids that may be a little better football players to come where it is warm, great facilities, a good football team and good education?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I was making the point that if UCF, FAU and FIU can afford to recruit out of state we can afford it.

The article says greater than 50%. Nowhere in that article does it say anything about 98%. Nor does it state anywhere in that article that any team who recruits greater than 98% from their own state has had any degree of success anywhere.

The point I am making about recruiting is that our talent pool for what we need is too limited because it is too picked over by everyone everywhere. If we have to go out and find a top notch RB from somewhere else then we have to do it. There aren't so many top notch QBs from the state of FL. There are a few, but not so many. if we have to go outside the state then so be it. You do what you must to build a winning team. Not just put a warm body on the field because he is within 200 miles of campus. Holtz and Snyder should have plenty of connections to begin to open up pipelines to recruit other areas of the country. If we have to expand just into their areas of comfort then at least we are starting to do something. We hired Holtz to take the program to a new height. In my opinion that means more than just managing a game differently. Which he hasn't really proven he can do quite yet either.

If we don't begin to find the funds to do this, it's my opinion that we will get more of what we have had so far in this conference. You can say all you want about recruiting the state better, but if we are in the mix already for a lot of these kids and they aren't coming here, what more are you going to do to get them to come here? I doubt that Leavitt and Holtz didn't give everything they had in recruiting these kids. Now that the faclilities are in place it will make a difference, but if coaches from the northeast and midwest can convince FL to freeze their asses off why couldn't our coaches start convincing some of the northern kids that may be a little better football players to come where it is warm, great facilities, a good football team and good education?

This is pretty awesome because NONE of FAU's class last year was from out of state. They have two out of staters committed this year. Both JUCO.

Out of 24 recruits last year FIU had 6 from out of state, three were JUCO.

We had just as many out of state recruits last year as those schools. On top of that we have more out of state recruits for this year than those other schools.

The reason we don't have those big linemen you're starving for is because they all go to the schools like Alabama, Florida, FSU, and Miami. They're in demand, and the supply is low...

Archived