• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

I don't care if we play zone. But giving WR 8 to 12 yards of free turf wiTh a free release is stupid. The lack of aggessiveness from the coaching cost us a serious chance at a Big East title this year. I truly believe that.

Yep, I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Just an FYI, this is what aggressive coaching may get you..........

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7140110/tommy-tuberville-bold-calls-inspire-texas-tech-red-raiders

Bold calls inspire Texas Tech

<p class="subhead">

• By Brandon Chatmon
    SoonerNation.com

NORMAN, Okla. -- People across the nation were wondering what was going through the mind of Tommy Tuberville.

With his team appearing on the cusp of an upset win, the Texas Tech coach called a fake punt late in the third quarter while holding a 14-point lead over Oklahoma.

The play failed, but the message was sent.

Texas Tech had come to Norman willing to take any risk necessary to upset the Sooners.

Tuberville's aggressive mindset paid off as Texas Tech knocked off the No. 3-ranked Sooners 41-38 at Owen Field on Saturday night. The Red Raiders' win snapped OU's 39-game home winning streak, the longest active streak in the nation until Saturday.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I don't care if we play zone. But giving WR 8 to 12 yards of free turf wiTh a free release is stupid. The lack of aggessiveness from the coaching cost us a serious chance at a Big East title this year. I truly believe that.

I agree with you, but there's that whole risk/reward thing. We'd have to play in a nickel defense the whole game if we lined our CBs up in man coverage, because we'd get beaten on every deep route and with 4-5 WR set, offenses would be slinging it all over the place on our guys. Then the offenses would see what's going on and start running the ball up the middle.

Face it, we have some guys with some talent on D, but they're not talented enough, especially in the secondary.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I agree with you, but there's that whole risk/reward thing. We'd have to play in a nickel defense the whole game if we lined our CBs up in man coverage, because we'd get beaten on every deep route and with 4-5 WR set, offenses would be slinging it all over the place on our guys. Then the offenses would see what's going on and start running the ball up the middle.

Face it, we have some guys with some talent on D, but they're not talented enough, especially in the secondary.

the best way to hide suspect corners is to blitz a team and not give them time enough to run wide open. dropping 8 and playing off gives WRs all day to exploit coverage. give the QB 2-3 seconds to make his decision not 7 seconds. watch Uconn and parts of cincy where we attacked the backfield. we were very effective by being aggressive. when we rushed 3 and dropped 8 we gave up chunks of yardage. granted sometimes pressure backfires but for the most part playing aggressive has been much more effective for us.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

You are allowed to play zone without giving a WR free release (or the appearance of a free release) from the line. The Bucs have been doing it for 15 years.

A agree the "Best defensive backfield" :rolleyes: in USF's history can't play man, but an aggressive zone is not too much to ask.

Archived