• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Defense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

LACK of talent

i dont understand why we dont get some jc stars in here

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

the last drive where they went 70+ yards for a TD in under 1:30?

I disagree.

We had one play rushing 5 guys and they got a nice gain. We then rushed 3 guys and got just as much pressure and forced an incomplete pass.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We had one play rushing 5 guys and they got a nice gain. We then rushed 3 guys and got just as much pressure and forced an incomplete pass.

actually you're completely wrong. I just rewatched that series on espn 3.

we rushed 3 and they gained 33

we rushed 5 and it was incomplete.

watch the 30 yard TD in the 4th quarter when we rushed 3 on 3rd down and 15.

then watch the 3rd and 6 a series later where we rushed 5 and it was incomplete.

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index#type/replay/category/FB/

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Your dropping too much knowledge for our fans on here lately. Stop it. Your killing them.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

The main reason that I believe this defense is so porous is because of the AMOUNT of cushion (8 to 10 yards) given by our corners. This tells me that the coaches don't trust our corners and that distrust doesn't allow the linemen enough time to get to the QB. No one can get to qb in 1.2 seconds. The dline also needs to get there with 4, but we drop too many linemen into coverage.

Our corners are not "cover" corners - they are basically all safeties. Our coaches know that if we played them at the line, we would get killed by routes, so it's basically a zone defense. If they make a move, they'll do it within 5-10 yards off the line, so we're back that far to be able to keep up with them if they go up to the next level. As we did in the ND game, we concede at least 5-7 yards on every passing play in order to ensure against giving up the big play. I'll give the coaches some credit on that one, they obviously know that our CBs would get beaten playing man-to-man.

Hopefully Bivins will still sign with us in Feb. and if we can get Kenneth Durden going next year, maybe, just maybe, we'll see a change in strategy. If Bivins gets here, I guarantee he'll play as a true frosh. We need good cover CBs.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

actually you're completely wrong. I just rewatched that series on espn 3.

we rushed 3 and they gained 33

we rushed 5 and it was incomplete.

watch the 30 yard TD in the 4th quarter when we rushed 3 on 3rd down and 15.

then watch the 3rd and 6 a series later where we rushed 5 and it was incomplete.

http://espn.go.com/w...ay/category/FB/

My fault then. The 33 yard gain was the play where Washington was somehow in front of the WR instead of behind him, right?

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Don't the coordinators need to be up in the booth so they can see everything and report down to Holtz?

I know bigger programs do this.

After the game they both seemed to know the plays that were called but not who broke coverage or what personel was actually in the game at that time...

• Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

The main reason that I believe this defense is so porous is because of the AMOUNT of cushion (8 to 10 yards) given by our corners. This tells me that the coaches don't trust our corners and that distrust doesn't allow the linemen enough time to get to the QB. No one can get to qb in 1.2 seconds. The dline also needs to get there with 4, but we drop too many linemen into coverage.

Our corners are not "cover" corners - they are basically all safeties. Our coaches know that if we played them at the line, we would get killed by routes, so it's basically a zone defense. If they make a move, they'll do it within 5-10 yards off the line, so we're back that far to be able to keep up with them if they go up to the next level. As we did in the ND game, we concede at least 5-7 yards on every passing play in order to ensure against giving up the big play. I'll give the coaches some credit on that one, they obviously know that our CBs would get beaten playing man-to-man.

Hopefully Bivins will still sign with us in Feb. and if we can get Kenneth Durden going next year, maybe, just maybe, we'll see a change in strategy. If Bivins gets here, I guarantee he'll play as a true frosh. We need good cover CBs.

We've been in a prevent defense from the beginning. Shouldn't we see if our players can swim before we put floaties on their arms?

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I don't care if we play zone. But giving WR 8 to 12 yards of free turf wiTh a free release is stupid. The lack of aggessiveness from the coaching cost us a serious chance at a Big East title this year. I truly believe that.

Archived