• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Head Scratcher....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The problem is we don't have any QB's on the roster that are a better option. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

This is a fundamental coaching fail of the highest order. All season long, incl. Notre Dame, we can't complete a hand-off in the backfield or a pitch to RB swinging outside. We have a QB who routinely runs into, can't get the ball to or can't complete the pitch to the  RB. Either BJ can't get from Thursday to Sat, Our RBs are all clueless or our coaches have instituted a game plan which can't be executed. I expect that Items 1 and 3 are true. Fitch can't put together an offense which can effectively hand the ball off and BJ can't figure out how to turn around and hand the ball to a RB. I don't know what the solution is, but it needs be fixed quick. We know BJ can't throw down the field but a fricking handoff? And Fitch needs help quick. His play calling is pathetic. Let me guess, We are gonna run on 1st down? And again on 2nd down? And then we are gonna throw a pass up for grabs on 3rd down? And then we punt. if we are lucky. I'm all for establishing the run, but you can't do that if you are so predictable.If BJ can't handle pressure he needs to ride some pine. I mean what do we have to lose at this point in starting Eveld or Floyd? Bring in BJ for wildcat and start being creative on offense.Not risky but at least slightly unpredictable.

• Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

And after our 4-0 start I rebuffed someone who said BJ had turned the corner and has become some kind of good QB. My point then and it is being seen now is that our offense is limited by BJ's inability to be able to throw the ball down field accurately. Anything past 10-15 yards down field (which I realize is like 25 with him dropping back)  just isnt that accurate or consistent.

Teams wont respect our running game, and they are going to keep stacking the box against us, playing our WR's tight to the line so those isolation plays and bubble screens just do not go that far anymore.

Now, in the original post and it in this one, I am not saying our backup QBs are the answer we need. I just dont see BJ as this QB everyone keeps talking about.

With that said, if I am a head coach, I might put the backups in a bit just to signal to BJ that he needs to work harder AND to signal to recruits that BJ doesnt have this job locked up next year. A great high school QB might be able to come in and start or at least share playing time. If we are going to lose with BJ we might as well set something positive up for the future.

Either that, or figure out how to game plan to our strengths and then figure out how to game plan against what the opposing defenses are going to do to us. Find some kind of happy medium.

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

The problem is we don't have any QB's on the roster that are a better option. 

And in this lovely apartment you will have nice hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, and is convienantly located between a rock and a hard place.......

Gents-BJ is improved, but unfortunately not enough to win, lead, and succeed in a BCS conference.  Any top tier school, he's a slot guy and kick return stud.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

why do people say he can't throw the ball down field?  his freshman year that's all he could do. didn't he have like 8 TDs of more than 50 yards? then people were saying he couldn't pass the ball short with any touch. He led the country in yards per attempt for most of the season. He'll never be Tom Brady but i have always thought his deep ball was his strength.

we don't stretch the field vertically with our speed. I wouldn't expect him to complete everything down field but to say he can't do it is not correct. they are not calling the plays.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I haven't seen the replay of the game yet and wasn't paying attention, but was BJ primarily throwing from the pocket yesterday or were we moving the pocket?

The wind was blowing very hard yesterday. Probably close to 45mph at times throwing long was near impossible.

Please, please stop talking about our speed. We have 2 receivers on this team with speed. TREX has a concussion and Lamar is the fastest guy on the field getting from the left tackle to the TE spot on the other end of the offensive lne. Then he does little. This coaching staff can't figure out how to get the ball to him in space.

• Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  6

I just dont understand why we ran the ball 36 times. They have one of the best run defenses and one of the worst pass defenses. WHAT.THE.****.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I haven't seen the replay of the game yet and wasn't paying attention, but was BJ primarily throwing from the pocket yesterday or were we moving the pocket?

The wind was blowing very hard yesterday. Probably close to 45mph at times throwing long was near impossible.

Please, please stop talking about our speed. We have 2 receivers on this team with speed. TREX has a concussion and Lamar is the fastest guy on the field getting from the left tackle to the TE spot on the other end of the offensive lne. Then he does little. This coaching staff can't figure out how to get the ball to him in space.

we have more than two and my point wasn't that we have superior speed but that we need to use what speed we do have to stretch the field. that loosens up a defense. we love to stretch the field horizontally but we rarely take shots down the field. Daniels was very effective doing that in his freshman year.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My point is I don't think our receivers are fast enough to beat BCS level corners downfield. We haven't seen it in 2 years.  Either that or there is little skill in route running and they can't get downfield which brings me back to our receivers can't beat BCS level corners downfield.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

And after our 4-0 start I rebuffed someone who said BJ had turned the corner and has become some kind of good QB. My point then and it is being seen now is that our offense is limited by bj daniels inability to be able to throw the ball down field accurately. Anything past 10-15 yards down field (which I realize is like 25 with him dropping back)  just isnt that accurate or consistent.

Teams wont respect our running game, and they are going to keep stacking the box against us, playing our WR's tight to the line so those isolation plays and bubble screens just do not go that far anymore.

Now, in the original post and it in this one, I am not saying our backup QBs are the answer we need. I just dont see BJ as this QB everyone keeps talking about.

With that said, if I am a head coach, I might put the backups in a bit just to signal to BJ that he needs to work harder AND to signal to recruits that BJ doesnt have this job locked up next year. A great high school QB might be able to come in and start or at least share playing time. If we are going to lose with BJ we might as well set something positive up for the future.

Either that, or figure out how to game plan to our strengths and then figure out how to game plan against what the opposing defenses are going to do to us. Find some kind of happy medium.

you and i couldnt agree more.  we have no down field threat.  unless you look at the highlight film vs utep. 

Archived