• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bush-league move by ND/Officials last night

DERBY

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Guys, Doug Woolard told us about the teams-out-on-field-in-15-minutes before it was announced in the press box. Then in 15 minutes, Notre Dame came out and USF didn't until a few minutes later. So there might have been a communications issue, but I don't know that NBC or Notre Dame was involved.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

NCAA Rule.

Lightning strike within 8 miles creates 30 minute delay. Every new strike resets the delay clock.

OK... but watching WVU game and the announcers just said if it gets within 6 miles the game will be delayed.  Seems to be a lot of ambiguity.  I have no clue... just suggestion that if, in 120+ years of ND playing football this is the first delay it would seem this must be a new rule.

Either way, player and fan safety has to be the first priority!  If folks in charge (be it stadium officials, NCAA, local weatherman) feel safety is an issue then the game should be delayed.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Guys, Doug Woolard told us about the teams-out-on-field-in-15-minutes before it was announced in the press box. Then in 15 minutes, Notre Dame came out and USF didn't until a few minutes later. So there might have been a communications issue, but I don't know that NBC or Notre Dame was involved.

Thanks for the info Greg!  As I said, first weather delay in ND history, so it isn't like they have clearly defined and rehearsed scripts for communicating this information.

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

NCAA Rule.

Lightning strike within 8 miles creates 30 minute delay. Every new strike resets the delay clock.

OK... but watching WVU game and the announcers just said if it gets within 6 miles the game will be delayed.  Seems to be a lot of ambiguity.  I have no clue... just suggestion that if, in 120+ years of ND playing football this is the first delay it would seem this must be a new rule.

Either way, player and fan safety has to be the first priority!  If folks in charge (be it stadium officials, NCAA, local weatherman) feel safety is an issue then the game should be delayed.

Yah, just heard them mention the 6-mile rule too. I'm 99.9% sure they said 8 miles last night. Not sure which is correct, but both games are using B.E. officials, right? It's not like they're the best officials in the league...

• Content Count:  7,693

NCAA Rule.

I checked the rule book  :contract, and its 6 miles not 8 miles...

Now I was pretty drunk but I believe the announcers said for our game that the closest lightning ever got to the game was 8. something miles... NCAA calls it at 6, but the hosting team can call it if they feel that safety is threatened at any point.

So did lightning get within that 6 miles range last night  ???

If it got out in the 8 miles range then ND called the delay not the NCAA, and if ND called it then I believe that safety was not an issue for them.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

NCAA Rule.

Now I was pretty drunk but I believe the announcers said for our game that the closest lightning ever got to the game was 8. something miles... NCAA calls it at 6, but the hosting team can call it if they feel that safety is threatened at any point.

If it got out in the 8 miles range then ND called the delay not the NCAA, and if ND called it then I believe that safety was not an issue for them.

Ever lost a family member to lightning? I was one of the first under the stadium. The delays had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with rain.

• Content Count:  151
  • Days Won:  0

For what it's worth, when I started this thread I wasn't trying to imply that this was a conspiracy by Notre Dame.  I just wanted to point out that someone screwed up and we got shafted on our warm up time after the weather delay.  Like some of you have said we came out pretty flat and I couldn't help but wonder if being caught off guard on the start time had something to do with our performance.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Well personally I was more offended by the condition of the field at game time. They must have dumped hundreds of tons of soil on the field to get it like that. I mean you could see geysers of dirt flying up as the players ran. I mean what could possibly be an explanation for why a "hallowed" institution which has been playing on the same field for decades during the 1st game of the year has a field in that condition. I mean they are notorious for growing a wheat crop there to slow down teams with a speed advantage, But to pile dirt on the entire field? That=Bush League.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think we looked flat at the beginning of the 2nd half because Tommy Rees is a much, MUCH better QB than Dayne Crist.  Rees was lighting it up on us.  Thank God that receiver wasn't paying attention and Lanaris got the pick.  I think they would have scored on that drive. 

• Content Count:  7,693

NCAA Rule.

Ever lost a family member to lightning? I was one of the first under the stadium. The delays had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with rain.

All I'm saying is that if lightning was a real issue then fine... otherwise if lighting wasn't an issue then I suspect shenanigans.

Archived