• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Lee Roy Selmon

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

Sad day indeed.  RIP Lee Roy.

• Content Count:  1,204

So true.  I'm not sure that USF Football could ever have launched so successfully without the involvement of Lee Roy Selmon.  Actually, I'm quite sure it never would have happened as it has because Selmon lent so much credibility to the program.  USF Athletics across the board owe so much to him.  The Bucs owe so much to him.  The Bay Area does as well. 

How fortuitous for Tampa Bay and USF that Lee Roy Selmon was the first ever draft pick of the Bucs.  Who could predict that a draft pick could not only have so much impact on a team, but on the community as a whole? 

Not to dredge this debate up, but if we do ever build a stadium on campus, I know who I think it should be named after.

• Content Count:  314

RIP Lee Roy Selmon

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I remember when I went to Canton to watch My Jauguars in their first NFL game, but the bigger joy was to know Lee Roy Selmon will be inducted that year. And then the few times I met him at USF events.

Genuinely one of the nicest people . . .

Hall of Fame MAN

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he is a great guy

my heart breaks over all this

he was always so  polite and professional to me and my lady

• Content Count:  2,511

Lee Roy was a great person outside of football and athletics.

Years ago I was working in the IT department at a large corporation in the Tampa Bay area; we had some interns from an organization called Abilities.  This was an organization that helped disabled people lead productive lives.  I became good friends with one of the interns who was a quadriplegic, and I later lobbied management to give him a full time job.

My friend was going to attend the graduation ceremony at Abilities for the training program that he was in.  He mentioned that Lee Roy Selmon was going to be there.  I told him that was really cool and asked him why Lee Roy was going to be there.  He said that Lee Roy was big supporter of the program and I think that Lee Roy was on the board of directors back then.  I had recently attended a Bucs game where they gave out posters for Lee Roy Selmon day.  I asked my friend if he could get Lee Roy to sign it for me.  He said that he would try and brought my poster to his graduation.

The next day he came to work with my signed poster and told me how friendly Lee Roy was to him and everyone at the ceremony.  I was so excited that he signed my poster that I framed it and hung it in my den room at home.

What really inspired my about that situation was that Lee Roy was involved with an organization that helped disabled people put their lives back together.  My friend's body may have been broken, but his mind was not, and Lee Roy had part in helping my friend achieve great things in his life.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Great man.  Sad day for Tampa Bay

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

This honestly feels like losing a family member. Although having never met Lee Roy Selmon, I feel like I've known him for going on 35 years ... It's a great loss for the Tampa Bay area and USF. The recurring them through almost all of the testimonials coming in are "great player ... better person" and there's not a better way to put it.

When the time comes to vote for a name on our OCS, my vote goes for LRS being somewhere on there.

• Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

Or even a statue. Everyone that comes to see us play especially our future students needs to know how valuable he was to our program

Archived