• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Andre Davis will not RS and will play this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

Says something about our current reciever depth. Hope he delivers.

why would you say that is a reflection of our current depth?  I look at is as a reflection of how extremely talented this guy is.  there are major programs all over the country that have true freshman make major contributions because they are that talented (marcus lattimore, julio jones, etc) 

now im not saying Andre will have that kind of impact or be a top 10 NFL pick one day (who knows)

but to say that he is only going to play because we aren't deep at WR is not the case.  in fact, we have more depth at WR this year than any year i can remember.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

In my opinion, that is great news.  Why not utilize his talents right away, we can certainly use his skills. 

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

why would you say that is a reflection of our current depth?  I look at is as a reflection of how extremely talented this guy is.  there are major programs all over the country that have true freshman make major contributions because they are that talented (marcus lattimore, julio jones, etc) 

now im not saying Andre will have that kind of impact or be a top 10 NFL pick one day (who knows)

but to say that he is only going to play because we aren't deep at WR is not the case.  in fact, we have more depth at WR this year than any year i can remember.

Last I checked, Andre Davis was not billed as that type of player (not saying he can't be and I certainly hope he is the next Julio Jones, just a little shorter), so why should I or anyone have expected him to recieve significant playing time this year as a true freshman, other than the fact we are not deep at reviever? We have two guys coming off injuries, who are experienced, true recievers in Love and Griffin plus Joel Miller who IMO is a notch below those two. This is just my take, but the rest of the recieving corps is highly unproven:

Deonte Welch RS Fr, Terrance Mitchell, Converted from CB and is learning the position (great potential, lots of questions), Victor Marc Converted RB/QB still learning the position, Evan Landi, still learning the position, Lindsey Lamar has potential, but has also shown limited utility in the offense, Derrick Hopkins, same as Lamar, but with less game experience, Steven Bravo-Brown has yet to show me anything spectacular.

That group is not exactly confidence inspiring. Where is this depth you speak of?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

This is it in a nutshell:

Davis, a Jefferson High product, has consistently made impressive catches on jump-ball situations all fall, and Holtz has been thoroughly impressed.

"If I had to pick one player to go up and get it, he's the guy that would go up, that I'd pick," Holtz said. "He's made more circus catches in camp than I've seen really since we've been here."

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'd say it's probably a little of both.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Maybe it's a semantic miscommunication. To me, lack of experience and lack of talent = lack of depth. Others may have different definitions of talent, experience, depth and even reciever.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Maybe it's a semantic miscommunication. To me, lack of experience and lack of talent = lack of depth. Others may have different definitions of talent, experience, depth and even reciever.

Probably so.

Davis had offers from FSU and Miami. Perhaps, those schools, by your definition, would redshirt him because they generally have better and more experienced WR's than do we.

• Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

Our overall WR depth may be better than last year, but we still have a mixed bag, and Davis even as a true freshman is the best at going up and making the play with the ball in the air.  Pretty simple, if a kid can do something better than anyone else on roster you don't redshirt him.  

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I saw this coming a while ago.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Last I checked, Andre Davis was not billed as that type of player (not saying he can't be and I certainly hope he is the next Julio Jones, just a little shorter), so why should I or anyone have expected him to recieve significant playing time this year as a true freshman, other than the fact we are not deep at reviever? We have two guys coming off injuries, who are experienced, true recievers in Love and Griffin plus Joel Miller who IMO is a notch below those two. This is just my take, but the rest of the recieving corps is highly unproven:

Deonte Welch RS Fr, Terrance Mitchell, Converted from CB and is learning the position (great potential, lots of questions), Victor Marc Converted RB/QB still learning the position, Evan Landi, still learning the position, Lindsey Lamar has potential, but has also shown limited utility in the offense, Derrick Hopkins, same as Lamar, but with less game experience, Steven Bravo-Brown has yet to show me anything spectacular.

That group is not exactly confidence inspiring. Where is this depth you speak of?

Davis was a highly regarded and sought after recruit.

http://beta2.tbo.com/sports/prep-sports/2011/jan/17/PSPNEWSO4-top-jefferson-receiver-commits-to-south--ar-14323/

He might not have red shirted at a lot of programs.

Archived