• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF QB situation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Looks like Godfrey will be fine from this UM mess... the brainiacs over at the UCiF boards actually found the NCAA bylaws... any transgressions with UM boosters won't affect him at UCF.

They are citing the recruiting violation section and not the illegal benefits section.  Godfrey received illegal benefits from Shapiro by taking those shoes......

Interesting...

While I would find it deviously humorous if UCF lost it's QB, I think it's a crock if UCF, or any other program with players wrapped up in this mess, got suspensions for taking benefits from a Miami booster.

Clearly there's nothing that UCF, or other schools, had to do with this.  They should be crowned for winning recruiting battles when such improprieties were going on elsewhere.

• Content Count:  7,037
  • Days Won:  11

Looks like Godfrey will be fine from this UM mess... the brainiacs over at the UCiF boards actually found the NCAA bylaws... any transgressions with UM boosters won't affect him at UCF.

They are citing the recruiting violation section and not the illegal benefits section.  Godfrey received illegal benefits from Shapiro by taking those shoes......

But the shoes came from the Equip Mgr... so unless he rolls on Godfrey....

is it normal for all equipment managers to give jordans or any shoes for that matter to football recruits?

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

While I would find it deviously humorous if UCF lost it's QB, I think it's a crock if UCF, or any other program with players wrapped up in this mess, got suspensions for taking benefits from a Miami booster.

Clearly there's nothing that UCF, or other schools, had to do with this.  They should be crowned for winning recruiting battles when such improprieties were going on elsewhere.

Certainly cannot fault UCF in this, but the player can absolutely be faulted.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  4,442

But the shoes came from the Equip Mgr... so unless he rolls on Godfrey....

is it normal for all equipment managers to give jordans or any shoes for that matter to football recruits?

No... and I'm not even sure that it's kosher for the Equipment Mgr. to give them to him... I'm doubting it is... I was just pointing out that that instance would be harder to trace back to the booster.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Interesting...

Why would this be a crock?  Improper benefits are improper benefits.  It's called "against the rules."  It shouldn't matter what school they played for, they are amateurs.  That means they don't get anything beyond the normal scope of the scholarships they are receiving, especially from boosters of any kind. 

And yes, I would say the same if a USF player was involved.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Interesting...

Why would this be a crock?  Improper benefits are improper benefits.  It's called "against the rules."  It shouldn't matter what school they played for, they are amateurs.  That means they don't get anything beyond the normal scope of the scholarships they are receiving, especially from boosters of any kind. 

Pretty much this.  Remember the Chris Rainey situation?  None of what was alleged was from boosters just people in the community around Lakeland but the NCAA still took a hard look at it.  Also the NCAA will be far less forgiving considering the OSU scandal.  The NCAA is on the war path and it's a bad time to be a violator of any kind. 

• Content Count:  8,044

Interesting...

Pretty much this.  Remember the Chris Rainey situation?  None of what was alleged was from boosters just people in the community around Lakeland but the NCAA still took a hard look at it.  Also the NCAA will be far less forgiving considering the OSU scandal.  The NCAA is on the war path and it's a bad time to be a violator of any kind. 

This was a UM issue.  Godfrey might get some sort of punishment (pay back some money to charity and/or a few games suspension).  UCF won't end up losing last season because of this.  I still doubt Godfrey even gets anything at all.

If you want to parade about UCF compliance issues, that Chicago guy story will be far more damaging (to UCF) than the Miami fiasco.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

It would be awesome if they had to vacate their one bowl win though...I'd laugh my ass off.

Archived