• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg Schiano's proposal to get rid of kickoffs in college football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Saw this on Greg's blog... hadn't heard about this movement, but after reading Holtz (and in turn Schiano's) argument it does seem like it would eliminate a large portion of injuries in the game. That said, It's also one of the most electrifying parts of the game...

interesting to see how this plays out...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Maybe we can remove the pads and helmets and just use flags too!!!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

What a fool Schiano is.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

What a fool Schiano is.

He lost a player to paralysis last year.  Let's just keep that in mind.  He may be a whiny sideline guy, but I can understand where he is coming from on this.  I don't want to see the kicking game changed that drastically, but I can understand him making the proposal.

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I haven't read about this, does anyone know what it was he proposed in place of kickoffs?  Is this inclusive of punts as well? 

• Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

I haven't read about this, does anyone know what it was he proposed in place of kickoffs?  Is this inclusive of punts as well? 

Basically the team that scores or losses the coin toss has the ball at the 30.. kind of like a 4th and 15.

- They can punt the ball, which causes less of an impact than the longer kick-offs.

- Or they can decide to line up and go for the 1st down.  Which would be like replacing an onside kick.  But will instead rely on the team actually working/having skill to get the down, rather than a lucky bounce of an on-side kick.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/06/politi_inspired_by_eric_legran.html

• Content Count:  1,027

How about everyone meets on the 50 for a kettle of Earl Grey and a scone? The referees will be in butler uniforms and serve. Don't forget, pinkies extended or it's 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Anyone know where I can get a green and gold monocle?

• Content Count:  3,475

How about everyone meets on the 50 for a kettle of Earl Grey and a scone? The referees will be in butler uniforms and serve. Don't forget, pinkies extended or it's 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Yeah! Great point! I *love* seeing players lay on the field incapable of moving their bodies! What a bunch of sissies anyone who supports this idea must be!

Seriously, if you can't see the difference between what Schiano proposed and what you're implying Schiano proposed, I think you need to learn how to read.

Players are stronger, faster, and smarter today than they've ever been. Advances in the equipment have also given us this false sense of security, like injuries aren't a serious concern, and I think that's as true of the players as it is the fans. Personally, I have to change the channel everytime there's a really huge hit because it makes me uncomfortable to think about what these guys are doing to their bodies and brains. But no, you're right, it's much more helpful to act all shocked and offer condolences when a player like Eric LeGrand suffers a serious, life-altering injury, but then mock those who propose trying to do something to prevent those kinds of injuries. Very helpful. And mature, too.

• Content Count:  3,475

Yeah! Great point! I *love* seeing players lay on the field incapable of moving their bodies! What a bunch of sissies anyone who supports this idea must be!

Seriously, if you can't see the difference between what Schiano proposed and what you're implying Schiano proposed, I think you need to learn how to read.

Players are stronger, faster, and smarter today than they've ever been. Advances in the equipment have also given us this false sense of security, like injuries aren't a serious concern, and I think that's as true of the players as it is the fans. Personally, I have to change the channel everytime there's a really huge hit because it makes me uncomfortable to think about what these guys are doing to their bodies and brains. But no, you're right, it's much more helpful to act all shocked and offer condolences when a player like Eric LeGrand suffers a serious, life-altering injury, but then mock those who propose trying to do something to prevent those kinds of injuries. Very helpful. And mature, too.

Just to make my point clear: There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with Schiano's proposal, but to disagree with by implying that those who wish to reduce huge hits in the game are wimps or whatever it is you think you're saying is stupid and childish. The question isn't if huge hits need to be reduced, because they very clearly do and if you don't think so then you just don't have an opinion worth noting. The question is what is the best way to do it.

• Content Count:  993

Kudos to Schiano for bringing forward a real idea for making the game safer that doesn't take away all the excitement.  I don't know if it is right but hope it gets the ball rolling.

To all the Seinfelds in this thread, would you like the forward pass taken out as well?

Archived