• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FB Chase Griffiths to transfer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Ah, the tale of switching a player from defense to offense and it not working.

TRex next?

Sure, Mitchell is much more talented, but not a huge fan of moving guys from their natural position elsewhere just to fill a deficiency. If you need additional WR's or FB's recruit them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Ah, the tale of switching a player from defense to offense and it not working.

TRex next?

Sure, Mitchell is much more talented, but not a huge fan of moving guys from their natural position elsewhere just to fill a deficiency. If you need additional WR's or FB's recruit them.

Mitchell has been a receiver for more than a season now, and has shown great promise in the role, and as far as I know has expressed no displeasure publicly with playing offense. This guy was a fullback for 15 practices and left because he said he didn't like it.

How you think those two scenarios are in any way comparable, I'll never know. And what makes a position a "natural" one anyway? Was Terrence Mitchell swatting passes away from birth?

And yes, recruiting new wide receivers immediately in August of last year to fill an immediate need after a series of injuries sure is a practical solution. I can only assume the reason Holtz didn't go that route is because you forgot to suggest it to him.

Do you think there has never been a player to switch between offense and defense and have it be a success story? Taking one single example of one marginal player leaving the team after switching positions and extrapolating to imply that moving players from defense to offense is never a good idea is ... well, it's not exactly scientific or thoughtful.

I said:

Mitchell has been a receiver for more than a season now, and has shown great promise in the role

"Shown great promise" is probably overstating it, because I'm not sure I remember him actually making any receptions last season because he didn't play much, but he's fast and elusive and should be dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Has Mitchell ever played a down at defensive back for USF? Players change positions coming out of high school <i>all the time</i>. If USF had announced upon his signing that Mitchell was going to be a receiver for USF, nobody would have thought twice about it. It happens constantly. But because they waited eight months to make the decision, it's somehow wrong? With no evidence to prove anything? What makes you qualified to tell us where Skip Holtz should play the guys he himself sees practice and work out and such?

Should George Selvie have played center for USF, because that's where he was when he signed and during his redshirt freshman season? Was that his "natural" position?

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

He moved to linebacker in April 2010. Full year at the position.

He moved to linebacker in April 2010. Full year at the position.

I see that on your blog now. I had gotten that other (apparently bad) info from the other blurb quoted in the first post of this thread. Thanks, Greg.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Mitchell played mostly safety in HS.  Keeping him at WR means he will not be learning the CB position which could end with him being a player without a position.  That is the concern.  Yes Mitchell was playing at various points in the defensive backfield last year.  I remember one particular play that he and George Baker completely screwed up the coverage against Syracuse.

Having said all that, if they are keeping him at WR going into next year it is because both he and the staff think that is where he will be best used.  They did move Spencer Boyd back to defense so the staff is willing to move kids around to put them in better positions. 

As for other teams, lots of teams move kids defense to offense and vice versa.  One I recall was Tony Driver at Notre Dame who played RB his freshman and junior years and safety as a sophomore and senior.  Despite the flipping he was a good enough athlete to last a couple seasons in the NFL.

• Content Count:  7,780

Lets see what Holtz does with the scholarship opening.  I believe knowles was a bigger loss to our team.

• Content Count:  4,642
  • Days Won:  0

hate to see anyone leave (besides some of the dopes we've had in the past), but hopefully it's better for both parties.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Having said all that, if they are keeping him at WR going into next year it is because both he and the staff think that is where he will be best used.  They did move Spencer Boyd back to defense so the staff is willing to move kids around to put them in better positions. 

Not sure I agree to this sentiment, particularly for WR switches. We're so desperate to find help there that we'll switch anyone with a bit of potential and will keep them there if they don't complain.

Boyd expressed displeasure to the staff with the move to WR and after that he was switched back to a DB.

TRex probably just wants to get on the field. At WR he really only has to worry about Griffin as a good/great receiver. At CB the two starters are practically locked in and he's not getting on the field as nickel back or safety.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Not sure I agree to this sentiment, particularly for WR switches. We're so desperate to find help there that we'll switch anyone with a bit of potential and will keep them there if they don't complain.

Boyd expressed displeasure to the staff with the move to WR and after that he was switched back to a DB.

TRex probably just wants to get on the field. At WR he really only has to worry about Griffin as a good/great receiver. At CB the two starters are practically locked in and he's not getting on the field as nickel back or safety.

Given that the only people who see him practicing and see his development are the coaches we'll have to trust that they are making the right decision.  This is especially true since we have Gonzalez and Davis coming in as freshmen so we're less desparate than last year and yet the staff is keeping TRex there.

Archived