• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FB Chase Griffiths to transfer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

T-Rex is a WR... He will be there for the remainder of his usf career IMO...

It is pointless to keep moving back and forth... I think the staff has made a conscious decision to put him at WR and let him stay there...

The more he moves the less he will grow as a player.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

who?

so what

frees up a scholly for a blue chip player

• Content Count:  30
  • Days Won:  0

He moved to linebacker in April 2010. Full year at the position.

I see that on your blog now. I had gotten that other (apparently bad) info from the other blurb quoted in the first post of this thread. Thanks, Greg.

I did make a mistake on the timeline of the position switch for Griffiths, and apologize for doing so. It has since been corrected.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Wish him luck.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

T-Rex wasn't a natural corner coming in so i don't get why this is such a big issue for some folks.  Also T-Rex has the potential to give us something we don't have at the WR position on the roster or coming in, a guy that can take the top off the defense and open up the field for the short and intermediate routes.  We have some solid WR's but T-Rex is the only one that has that kind of vertical speed.  If Holtz and McGeoghan want T-Rex there ill trust their judgement, and as someone else mentioned earlier it's not exactly as if T-Rex was locking people down at CB before the move so I don't get the panic.  

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

^ I disagree that we don't have another guy that can take the top off the defense. Griffin basically is that guy, just with more polish (in general). In reality, I don't see Griffin and TRex working well together on the same field unless one changes up his repertoire; which I guess is very possible since they're both very young.

• Content Count:  2,523

I think everyone agrees that Trex is one of the most physically talented players who also had a lot of hype coming into our program and many will point to his development as a measuring stick in the future.  That being said, when a guy is as talented as he is physically, it only makes sense to have him on the field for as many plays as possible to maximize his gifts.  We all saw that in the limited amount of plays he was getting in the return game how much of a game changer he can be. 

I don't care what position he ends up at as long as HE GETS PLAYS.  If we only intend to use him at WR where we only get him the ball 2-3 times a game, I believe that's WASTING his physical talent.  I'd rather see him get time at a position where he can get 15 plays plus those PR opportunities.

As for his past performance at either position, his sample size is too small right now to know either way where he's at.  I just haven't seen where we have "lock down" type talent at CB to where we couldn't use that physical ability.  i think with proper practice, he could be deadly there and if he did crack the two deep, he'd have a TON of plays to make a difference.

Vs. at WR, even if he cracks the two deep and sticks, how many balls are we seriously going to get him where that physical talent offers us something we can't get from someone else?  For WR screens we have the same threat in Lamar.  For the deep ball Griffin.  For possession we have Landi/Love.  For the slot we have Miller.  That's not even counting the two new freshmen we have coming in.  How hard would it be to teach them to run a WR screen or a flat out "bomb" route for the few times in the game we call those plays?

I'm going to trust Skip until he proves us wrong, but this is an exceptional athlete who can be a difference maker NOW.  If he's at WR come fall, if we don't get him the ball at least 4 times a game, he's being wasted in my opinion.

^ I disagree that we don't have another guy that can take the top off the defense. Griffin basically is that guy, just with more polish (in general). In reality, I don't see Griffin and TRex working well together on the same field unless one changes up his repertoire; which I guess is very possible since they're both very young.

Sterling doesn't have the Speed that T-Rex does. 

• Content Count:  2,523

Bull Dozer, in regards to speed, who do think Trex compares to most?  Is he as fast as Mitchell was?

Bull Dozer, in regards to speed, who do think Trex compares to most?  Is he as fast as Mitchell was?

I Think he is on Par with Mitchell in a straight line.  I like Sterling and he's smooth bit I don't think he's as fast as CMitch was or as fast as T-Rex.  Sterling does run great routes though and and just a smooth athlete hopefully he can get the dropsies he's had in the spring taken care of.  Also I don't count the little guys (Hopkins Lamar) when i talk about fast WR's since they are more utility players and guys that are going to play in the slot and not guys you line up on the outside.  Both of them are faster than Mitch was but they lack the size to go with that speed to be considered in this conversation.  We need that guy on the outside that can stretch the field and open things up for the guys in the slot, a possession guy like Landi, the TE's and a guy like Griffin that is a very good WR but not a real burner.  I Feel T-Rex gives that kind of speed and even on play's where he's not the main option the defense still has to respect that speed.   

Archived