• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FB Chase Griffiths to transfer

Guest nybullsfan

I think everyone agrees that Trex is one of the most physically talented players who also had a lot of hype coming into our program and many will point to his development as a measuring stick in the future.  That being said, when a guy is as talented as he is physically, it only makes sense to have him on the field for as many plays as possible to maximize his gifts.  We all saw that in the limited amount of plays he was getting in the return game how much of a game changer he can be. 

I don't care what position he ends up at as long as HE GETS PLAYS.  If we only intend to use him at WR where we only get him the ball 2-3 times a game, I believe that's WASTING his physical talent.  I'd rather see him get time at a position where he can get 15 plays plus those PR opportunities.

As for his past performance at either position, his sample size is too small right now to know either way where he's at.  I just haven't seen where we have "lock down" type talent at CB to where we couldn't use that physical ability.  i think with proper practice, he could be deadly there and if he did crack the two deep, he'd have a TON of plays to make a difference.

Vs. at WR, even if he cracks the two deep and sticks, how many balls are we seriously going to get him where that physical talent offers us something we can't get from someone else?  For WR screens we have the same threat in Lamar.  For the deep ball Griffin.  For possession we have Landi/Love.  For the slot we have Miller.  That's not even counting the two new freshmen we have coming in.  How hard would it be to teach them to run a WR screen or a flat out "bomb" route for the few times in the game we call those plays?

I'm going to trust Skip until he proves us wrong, but this is an exceptional athlete who can be a difference maker NOW.  If he's at WR come fall, if we don't get him the ball at least 4 times a game, he's being wasted in my opinion.

WR's can be impactful even when they don't get the ball, as they take defensive resources away from other players and open up plays for them. TRex's speed and deep routes means he can be impactful 20-30 or more times per game. Just sayin...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

I think everyone agrees that Trex is one of the most physically talented players who also had a lot of hype coming into our program and many will point to his development as a measuring stick in the future.  That being said, when a guy is as talented as he is physically, it only makes sense to have him on the field for as many plays as possible to maximize his gifts.  We all saw that in the limited amount of plays he was getting in the return game how much of a game changer he can be. 

I don't care what position he ends up at as long as HE GETS PLAYS.  If we only intend to use him at WR where we only get him the ball 2-3 times a game, I believe that's WASTING his physical talent.  I'd rather see him get time at a position where he can get 15 plays plus those PR opportunities.

As for his past performance at either position, his sample size is too small right now to know either way where he's at.  I just haven't seen where we have "lock down" type talent at CB to where we couldn't use that physical ability.  i think with proper practice, he could be deadly there and if he did crack the two deep, he'd have a TON of plays to make a difference.

Vs. at WR, even if he cracks the two deep and sticks, how many balls are we seriously going to get him where that physical talent offers us something we can't get from someone else?  For WR screens we have the same threat in Lamar.  For the deep ball Griffin.  For possession we have Landi/Love.  For the slot we have Miller.  That's not even counting the two new freshmen we have coming in.  How hard would it be to teach them to run a WR screen or a flat out "bomb" route for the few times in the game we call those plays?

I'm going to trust Skip until he proves us wrong, but this is an exceptional athlete who can be a difference maker NOW.  If he's at WR come fall, if we don't get him the ball at least 4 times a game, he's being wasted in my opinion.

WR's can be impactful even when they don't get the ball, as they take defensive resources away from other players and open up plays for them. TRex's speed and deep routes means he can be impactful 20-30 or more times per game. Just sayin...

Seriously, what a crazy argument. Using Ruger's logic, who would ever play wide receiver? Only the least physically gifted athletes on the team? Yeah, that sounds like a great plan.

I think we should put every single player at running back except for exactly one player at every other position. Running backs have impact! And stuff.

• Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

83, you totally missed my point.  This is SPECIFIC to Trex and this situation.  In my opinion, the potential gap between Trex and the WRs we have and those coming in is less than what I feel would be with him at CB especially when it looks like this is going to be a RUN FIRST OFFENSE.  With this offense looking pretty weak, our defense is going to be on the field a TON and that means your CBs are going to need to be deep.  Last I checked, proven depth at CB is not a luxury we have when it seems we can't get half of them to practice and you aren't going to have any true freshman come in to help there like we have at WR with TWO coming in.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Though it's way to early to talk about the next level, I would think he would make the pros as a CB before he would make it as a WR?

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

83, you totally missed my point.  This is SPECIFIC to Trex and this situation.  In my opinion, the potential gap between Trex and the WRs we have and those coming in is less than what I feel would be with him at CB especially when it looks like this is going to be a RUN FIRST OFFENSE.  With this offense looking pretty weak, our defense is going to be on the field a TON and that means your CBs are going to need to be deep.  Last I checked, proven depth at CB is not a luxury we have when it seems we can't get half of them to practice and you aren't going to have any true freshman come in to help there like we have at WR with TWO coming in.

+1

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Well, Boyd was a also highly prized CB coming out of HS. We tried him at WR, but he didn't like it. He seemed to be doing well up until his recent injury and I expect he will quickly move up the depth chart. As far as incoming players, I think Kenneth Durden has a real chance to play. He would be our biggest CB and is also an elite track star. 

Archived