• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Chance Encounter

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  470
  • Days Won:  0

I live in D.C.  While in the gym this afternoon, I noticed an older gentleman wearing a Clemson FB tee and Clemson shorts.  I, of course, approached to initiate some subtle trash talk.

Well, we got to talking and this guy was not only extremely cool, but also a former Clemson player, and also a former NFL player.  As he indicated that he still lived in Carolina, I assume he was in D.C. for something associated with the federal mediation occurring down the street between the NFL and their players union.

In any case, being from Carolina, he knew all about Coach Holtz and spoke very highly of him.  In fact, he seemed to have plenty of respect for USF as a whole.

I didn't think to ask his name, but he did say that when he played for Clemson they finished 12-1 and sixth in the country.

Just goes to show that if you constantly go out of your way to mention your Alma Mater, it will eventually make a day more interesting. 

• Content Count:  1,251

i really dont have a second fav school....but if i had to pick one it would be clemson.....my best friend went there.....there stadium gets LOUD

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

i really dont have a second fav school....but if i had to pick one it would be clemson.....my best friend went there.....there stadium gets LOUD

I used to root for the other FL teams before we had football. Now I can't stand them. Do you think it's them, or me?

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I used to root for the other FL teams before we had football. Now I can't stand them. Do you think it's them, or me?

If you formerly rooted for FSU and/or Miami, then its a little of both.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

For sure its you because your taste has improved.  ;D

• Content Count:  624
  • Days Won:  1

Duuuuude.  Did you meet Dwight Clark?

**WARNING! ANCIENT BUCCANEER HISTORY CONTENT**

Assuming we are talking about the Clemson 1978 team (which was 11-1 and ranked 6th) I think it was the kicker Obed Ariri.

Ariri kicked for the Bucs one year then was replaced by the legendary Donald Igwebuike, a fellow Nigerian who also kicked for Clemson with the encouragement of Ariri!

OK that's probably not who whiskeyboarder ran into but its a weird tie in with the Bucs for those old enough to remember the bad old days of Bucs football. (Google is a wonderful thing)

• Content Count:  470

Thanks SpikeBull.

By limiting my search to the 1978 team, I was able to pinpoint alumni that went on to six year NFL careers. That narrowed down the names, and a final image search, all of this done on my mobile phone, revealed the player's identity.

Steve Kenney.

He was recently the subject of a "where are they now" article: http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=12035

So there you go. Now, im kicking myself because Im a Philly fan, met an Eagle and did not realize it. In my defense, I was a toddler during his NFL career.

In any case, thanks for the help. And, of course, Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Duuuuude.  Did you meet Dwight Clark?

There were alot of good players in the NFL off that Clemson team:

Steve Fuller (QB behind Jim McMahon in Chicago)

Jeff Bostic (played OL for the Redskins)  

Joe Bostic (played OL for the Cardinals)

Steve Kenney

Dwight Clark (infamous 49er)

Willie Underwood

Perry Tuttle

Jerry Butler

Archived