• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re: "Our Word is Our bond"

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully Skip Holtz really impressed some local high school coaches this signing day.  With all the publicity that AJ King got about Purdue pulling his scholarship cause of the ACL injury and how pissed Armwood coach  Sean Callahan was about it (he has now banned purdue coaches from recruiting at his school)

I think the quote Skip had about Alex Mut will go along way with these guys (hopefully)

I particularly like this quote from Holtz  “All I need to do is (hear) ‘Coach, I’m ready to end it, I want to be a Bull.’ You shake that hand and we’re done. I don’t care what happens. I don’t care if you walk out that door and an alligator bites your foot. You’re a Bull, and that scholarship is there to educate you. You believed in this place enough to make that verbal commitment, but I believe that strongly that our word is our bond. I believe in that.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/word-is-strong-bond/

USF withdraws offer to Carnes, angering Kinnan

Jan 29, 2010

MANATEE — In a move that Manatee High School head football coach Joe Kinnan called classless, the University of South Florida withdrew its scholarship offer to Canes quarterback Brion Carnes on Friday.

See link for article.

http://www.bradenton.com/2010/01/29/2016908/usf-withdraws-offer-to-carnes.html

USF Pulls Brion Carnes’ Scholarship Offer

In a move sure to upset the Manatee High School (Bradenton, FL) coaching staff and many Bulls’ fans, USF has pulled the scholarship offered to quarterback Brion Carnes.  Carnes – the first player to commit to the Bulls as part of their 2010 recruiting class – had wavered since Jim Leavitt had been fired, but still considered USF to be his leader.

Carnes was a big get for the Bulls when he committed before the 2009 season.  As he played through his senior year, he gained national attention and became one of the more sought after dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation.  With that attention came the offers from other programs and Carnes’ interest in looking around grew.  Cousin Tommie Frazier and the Nebraska name had him interested in the Cornhuskers.  Former Manatee star Willie Taggart had him thinking Western Kentucky might be a good fit.  Whatever the case, many thought Carnes might not be as solid to the Bulls as he claimed.

Now that doesn’t matter.  For some reason, USF pulled their offer meaning there is no chance Carnes becomes part of this year’s class.  There are many rumors for why, but none are yet confirmed and may never be.  From time to time, schools will drop a player they believe is wavering as it gets closer to National Signing Day.  Call it preservation.  No one wants to get burned on the final day with no chance to fill the spot at the last minute.  That could be the reason for the move, but it’s just a guess.  Whatever the case, it appears Skip Holtz doesn’t want Carnes to be a Bull.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Hopefully Skip Holtz really impressed some local high school coaches this signing day.  With all the publicity that AJ King got about Purdue pulling his scholarship cause of the ACL injury and how pissed Armwood coach  Sean Callahan was about it (he has now banned purdue coaches from recruiting at his school)

I think the quote Skip had about Alex Mut will go along way with these guys (hopefully)

I particularly like this quote from Holtz  “All I need to do is (hear) ‘Coach, I’m ready to end it, I want to be a Bull.’ You shake that hand and we’re done. I don’t care what happens. I don’t care if you walk out that door and an alligator bites your foot. You’re a Bull, and that scholarship is there to educate you. You believed in this place enough to make that verbal commitment, but I believe that strongly that our word is our bond. I believe in that.

Jan 29, 2010

MANATEE — In a move that Manatee High School head football coach Joe Kinnan called classless, the University of South Florida withdrew its scholarship offer to Canes quarterback Brion Carnes on Friday.

See link for article.

In a move sure to upset the Manatee High School (Bradenton, FL) coaching staff and many Bulls’ fans, USF has pulled the scholarship offered to quarterback Brion Carnes.  Carnes – the first player to commit to the Bulls as part of their 2010 recruiting class – had wavered since Jim Leavitt had been fired, but still considered USF to be his leader.

Carnes was a big get for the Bulls when he committed before the 2009 season.  As he played through his senior year, he gained national attention and became one of the more sought after dual-threat quarterbacks in the nation.  With that attention came the offers from other programs and Carnes’ interest in looking around grew.  Cousin Tommie Frazier and the Nebraska name had him interested in the Cornhuskers.  Former Manatee star Willie Taggart had him thinking Western Kentucky might be a good fit.  Whatever the case, many thought Carnes might not be as solid to the Bulls as he claimed.

Now that doesn’t matter.  For some reason, USF pulled their offer meaning there is no chance Carnes becomes part of this year’s class.  There are many rumors for why, but none are yet confirmed and may never be.  From time to time, schools will drop a player they believe is wavering as it gets closer to National Signing Day.  Call it preservation.  No one wants to get burned on the final day with no chance to fill the spot at the last minute.  That could be the reason for the move, but it’s just a guess.  Whatever the case, it appears Skip Holtz doesn’t want Carnes to be a Bull.

Not same. 

Mut took 0 official visits.

Carnes "committed" (aka got engaged), but continued going on official visits (aka dating others).  That's not a commitment.

• Content Count:  684

Jan 29, 2010

See link for article.

If you can't see the difference in situations between Mut and Carnes then I can't help you.

• Content Count:  1,757

You fail to understand two completely different situations. Mut is a solid kid who wanted nothing more than to go to USF. Carnes wavered. Skip was forced to get a QB on scholarship. They told him if he went and took another visit (which was right before signing day) that he may not have his scholarship. He did it anyway. Holtz pulled the schollie and got a QB, which we desperately needed. He would not have been doing his job if we were left with no QB on scholarship.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Jan 29, 2010

See link for article.

He wavered. Holtz said if you're committed then so is he. Carnes wasn't committed.

Nice to see O'Leary stay committed to that felon Jose Jose. Did he have to go to jail for the aggravated assault with a firearm or carrying a concealed weapon charges? is that where he's been for the last year?

that's pretty big of O'Leary. holding a spot for a kid until he gets out of jail.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Jan 29, 2010

See link for article.

Kinnan gets it...you don't:

Reached by SI.com on Feb. 5, Kinnan didn't seem angry. Because of his college experience, Kinnan understands the concept of a scholarship numbers crunch. What he couldn't understand is why neither he nor Carnes knew Carnes needed to make a decision. "If they had ever said that to him or said that to me, then I would have had no problem," Kinnan said. "They never said that." Kinnan said has spoken to Holtz once on the phone, and the men plan to meet down the road to discuss and hopefully iron out the misunderstanding.

Holtz, for his part, is sick about the entire ordeal. He doesn't want a reputation as a coach who pulls scholarship offers. Nor does he want to start off on the wrong foot with a coach whose program produces top-shelf talent every year. "It's unfortunate," Holtz said. "I hate the way it is."

Some good may come of the Carnes' recruitment, though. Kinnan said he plans to hold an information session for players and parents to explain the ins and outs of the recruiting process. One of his key points will be this: If you aren't 100 percent sure you want to attend a certain school, don't commit. "If you get married," Kinnan said, "you don't keep dating."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1165897/4/index.htm#ixzz1D0WQmiih

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

Also, might I add....Carnes was Jim Leavitt's recruit....not Holtzs'. They also pulled their offer from one of the RB.....I want to say Bellamy was his name.

But you just keep chipping away KL.....we know we are your obsession.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Also, might I add....Carnes was Jim Leavitt's recruit....not Holtzs'. They also pulled their offer from one of the RB.....I want to say Bellamy was his name.

forgot about that one.

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=4662893

• Content Count:  809
  • Days Won:  1

I thought Bellamy was a risk to not qualify and therefore had his scholarship pulled? 

Archived