• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football commits

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

I think we will do better once we start winning some BIG EAST titles. That will open more eyes to USF. Right now, the media and fans are saying same old USF where they finish in the middle of the pack of the BIG EAST. I think Holtz will get us there it just will take more than one season for him to get his style of players. I expect USF to compete for the BIG EAST title next season.

disagree

holtz needs to bring in big class in february

Then, I suspect, you will be very disappointed.

At the moment, with the bulk of the class already known, it is highly unlikely we will match even our recruiting classes from the past few years.

It certainly doesn't look to be shaping up to be a "big" class in terms of star power.  

Hopefully, we can still land a few big names at key positions, because right now, IMO, the class is not as good as the guys who are leaving who need to be replaced.

Being an optimist is fine, but you can't be blindly optimistic under the circumstances.

+1 Our class is at the bottom of BE classes. We have no players over 3 stars. Holtz needs to get his ass on the recruiting trail.

It will take Holtz some time to re-establish ties with Florida high schools and beyond. It's not like he is coming in being known as this awesome recruiter in the first place. All those years we had a fairly consistent recruiting group of coaches helped us snag a handful of highly rated guys.

Even if they do land a few highly touted kids, the rating systems are geared to immediately downgrade their ratings the second they decide to verbal to USF anyway-- so it will be years before we see anything resembling accurate ratings of the recruits we are getting anyway. In the end-- you can be rated as awesome in HS and do zero in college and/or being rated very low and get coached/grow into a college All American like Selvie did. I agree with whoever said it really comes down to coaching.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Our class is at the bottom of BE classes. We have no players over 3 stars. Holtz needs to get his ass on the recruiting trail.

That's brilliant!!  I'm sure he hasn't thought of that, maybe you should e-mail him.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Holtz = great coach, poor recruiter

Leavitt was a better recruiter, bad game day coach.

In the end it's all going to be a wash.  

Middle of the pack results.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Your ability to infer all this when Holtz has been at USF for less than a year is ******** impressive.

• Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

I think we will do better once we start winning some BIG EAST titles. That will open more eyes to USF. Right now, the media and fans are saying same old USF where they finish in the middle of the pack of the BIG EAST. I think Holtz will get us there it just will take more than one season for him to get his style of players. I expect USF to compete for the BIG EAST title next season.

EXCUSE?

• Content Count:  10,219

I hope not.

• Content Count:  16,416
  • Days Won:  43

No excuses, just reality. Right now, the nation sees USF as a team that can win the occasional big game but then fades away. The national exposure of the 2007 season was great but the fade down the stretch for 2007,2008,2009 planted a bad seed in many across the nation. It is what is it. Holtz will have to change that but it will take more than a season. Losing to UCONN  and PITT at home late in the season was not a good image despite beating Miami on the road. USF needs to beat Clemson in the MCCB to get the recruits excited about USF. USF needs to start dominating next season. No excuses.

• Content Count:  5,241

I dont care how many stars our recruits have next to their name (Carlton Hill, Mike Ford). Can Holtz get them to play at a level that wins us a Big East title is the only thing that matters, and we won't know for 2-3 years.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

All the recruiting experts posting in this thread (along with the guys giving out stars) are pulling stuff out of their a$$

I'll join in the BS parade and pull this outta my a$$. . . . . Holtz's strategy to load up on OL depth will become obvious next year when we see the upgrade at RB (it will be night and day - Demetris Murray had people on this board lobbying for him to start and he will be 3rd string at best - now that is night and day).

I also think Antoine Pozniak is a beast.

I also think USF will close strong in January and that people will be shocked by (1) how many kids we sign and (2) how much roster attrition takes place.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

disagree

holtz needs to bring in big class in february

Then, I suspect, you will be very disappointed.

At the moment, with the bulk of the class already known, it is highly unlikely we will match even our recruiting classes from the past few years.

It certainly doesn't look to be shaping up to be a "big" class in terms of star power.  

Hopefully, we can still land a few big names at key positions, because right now, IMO, the class is not as good as the guys who are leaving who need to be replaced.

Being an optimist is fine, but you can't be blindly optimistic under the circumstances.

Not tying to flame here but, and no offense meant to our seniors, but who are we losing that can't be replaced? Even not looking at our incoming class....most of which will be red-shirted.....I think we have comparable players available next year that were not available this year.

On offense we lose Bogan, Mo Plancher, Sims, Genus, Bass, Kelly.

Next year we should have a healthy AJ Love, Sterling Griffin, Darrell Scott, Aycock, McCaskill at center, and then beside Popek, Warren, Estenor and Chaz Hine....we can look forward to seeing those mammoths Eatmon, Kaufman and Kibler. Plus we will have more depth at QB.

On defense, we lose more in McClain, J Williams, Skinny Raymond, Sabbath Joseph, Craig Marshall, & Bedford.

Well D-line is probably our biggest area of depth. So at End we will see more of Giddens, Forte, Hampton, Claude Davis at Tackle we hopefully will see what Todd Chanler is all about. Then Hill, Grissom, McCaskill. Sounds good. All of our DB's are back except Raymond. LB will have DeDe Lattimore, Barrington, Weatherspoon, & Lanaris. Probably could be our weakest position....especially from a depth standpoint.

I think we are going to continue to have a solid defense like this year but I think our offense will be run heavy....like UConn or Pitt. Could become the Darrell Scott/Dontae Aycock show. AT least that is what I am hoping.

Archived