• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Football commits

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Frankly, at this point, I think the entire HS class will be redshirted. Perhaps, we will still land a few "big" names who will vie for playing time, but smazza expects most of them to see the field immediately and  that clearly won't be the case. My comments were made to him with that in mind.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

I think we will do better once we start winning some BIG EAST titles. That will open more eyes to USF. Right now, the media and fans are saying same old USF where they finish in the middle of the pack of the BIG EAST. I think Holtz will get us there it just will take more than one season for him to get his style of players. I expect USF to compete for the BIG EAST title next season.

disagree

holtz needs to bring in big class in february

Then, I suspect, you will be very disappointed.

At the moment, with the bulk of the class already known, it is highly unlikely we will match even our recruiting classes from the past few years.

It certainly doesn't look to be shaping up to be a "big" class in terms of star power.  

Hopefully, we can still land a few big names at key positions, because right now, IMO, the class is not as good as the guys who are leaving who need to be replaced.

Being an optimist is fine, but you can't be blindly optimistic under the circumstances.

I'm with you Mama.  Maybe I should've left the big 3 out of it and simply asked....is anybody else a little surprised at our incoming class?

I think we will do better once we start winning some BIG EAST titles. That will open more eyes to USF. Right now, the media and fans are saying same old USF where they finish in the middle of the pack of the BIG EAST. I think Holtz will get us there it just will take more than one season for him to get his style of players. I expect USF to compete for the BIG EAST title next season.

disagree

At the moment, with the bulk of the class already known, it is highly unlikely we will match even our recruiting classes from the past few years.

It certainly doesn't look to be shaping up to be a "big" class in terms of star power.  

Hopefully, we can still land a few big names at key positions, because right now, IMO, the class is not as good as the guys who are leaving who need to be replaced.

Being an optimist is fine, but you can't be blindly optimistic under the circumstances.

+1 Our class is at the bottom of BE classes. We have no players over 3 stars. Holtz needs to get his ass on the recruiting trail.

It will take Holtz some time to re-establish ties with Florida high schools and beyond. It's not like he is coming in being known as this awesome recruiter in the first place. All those years we had a fairly consistent recruiting group of coaches helped us snag a handful of highly rated guys.

Even if they do land a few highly touted kids, the rating systems are geared to immediately downgrade their ratings the second they decide to verbal to USF anyway-- so it will be years before we see anything resembling accurate ratings of the recruits we are getting anyway. In the end-- you can be rated as awesome in HS and do zero in college and/or being rated very low and get coached/grow into a college All American like Selvie did. I agree with whoever said it really comes down to coaching.

I know what you are saying Mike, but we were starting to get a few 4 stars.  This would be the first time in a number of years that we didn't.  Also, can''t really use Selvie, he was a center in high school.  A 235lb OL will never be a 4 star guy in the ratings.

• Content Count:  4,879

Holtz wins with 'family', not 'flash'.  He'll get more out what he's got, but will need a BE championship or two before he can bring in the 4-5 star guys with regularity.

Holtz wins with 'family', not 'flash'.  He'll get more out what he's got, but will need a BE championship or two before he can bring in the 4-5 star guys with regularity.

I respectfully disagree.  We have to continue signing at least a few of them per year (like we have the past few years) in order to have a legitimate shot at winning the big east in the first place.  Our recruiting needs to continue taking steps forward (or at least lateral) but not backwards.

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

I respectfully disagree.  We have to continue signing at least a few of them per year (like we have the past few years) in order to have a legitimate shot at winning the big east in the first place.  Our recruiting needs to continue taking steps forward (or at least lateral) but not backwards.

last year, wasn't it kind of last minute before we had any 4 star guys actually stick? Also, I could be wrong, but wasn't lang a 4-star guy at one point (until he committed?).

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

disagree

u dont understand me

holtz will also coach them up better than past coach

istill think we will get more blue chips than predicted

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Frankly, at this point, I think the entire HS class will be redshirted. Perhaps, we will still land a few "big" names who will vie for playing time, but smazza expects most of them to see the field immediately and  that clearly won't be the case. My comments were made to him with that in mind.

if they are really  blue chippers they wuld play

if they are going to be red shirted they arent that talented

itis that simple

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

if they are really  blue chippers they wuld play

if they are going to be red shirted they arent that talented

itis that simple

Well, that's my point.

• Content Count:  4,642

i think we have the chance to land a few blue chippers or near-blue-chippers.  i hope holtz can make them believe.

Archived