• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What about Univ. of Houston?

RickUSF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, i really don't see why it's a no-brainer why they don't get a BE invite..

1. Houston media market

2. they currently have a legit football program and a historic basketball program

3. they have committed $160 million to upgrade football and basketball facilities http://www.chron.com/sports/photogallery/UHs_plans_for_athletics_upgrades.html

4. 29,000 undergraduate students

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Not sure that TCU would be too enthused about Houston getting an invite. Similar to our scenario with UCF.

• Content Count:  1,204

Not sure that TCU would be too enthused about Houston getting an invite. Similar to our scenario with UCF.

Possible, though I think they could probably live with it, especially if Tagliabue or someone else could convince them of increased revenue.

The new stadium that can be expanded beyond 50K is a plus, even if it is a bit of an Erector Set.

There is a tie to USF in the Renu Khator was provost for Liberal Arts and Sciences when I was at USF and later became senior VP.  She knows Genshaft and can possibly lobby for UH to an influential Big East university President, the one who represents the Big East on the NCAA Board of Directors.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I've like Houston for a while and the more I think about it, the more I like it.  While they haven't been great lately, they have a tradition of good football and great basketball.  They're in a huge TV market.  I think I'd be talking to Kansas and K-State also.

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

2 texas schools in big east!

crazy

• Content Count:  1,251

I say bring em on board!! but no one else!! Houstan or bust!! TCU is enough for now anyway

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

why stop at houston hire

what about smu

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Ok, i really don't see why it's a no-brainer why they don't get a BE invite..

1. Houston media market

The reason I've always seen cited is that while there are certainly a lot of people in Houston, approximately zero of them give a **** about the University of Houston. And their attendance on the rare chance I see them on TV seems to back this claim up. In terms of fan following, Houston makes USF look like Ohio State.

2. they currently have a legit football program and a historic basketball program

Eh. They're better than UCF, that's for sure - not necessarily this year but in general. But they still do the same thing UCF does, beating up a bunch of sorry teams in an embarrassingly bad conference. At least they went on the road and beat a ranked Oklahoma State team last year, that was good for them, but overall I see no reason to believe their team is going to sustain its success of the past few years.

Archived