• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

exhibit A: lamar being WIDE open near the south 20yrd line and bj throwing it over his dome.

The sheer shock of seeing someone besides Bogan or Landi that open threw his timing off ....

SOmething I haven't seen mentioned was, in that clusterfuck of the final minutes, the complete pass on the far side line where the receiver was pushed out of bounds but they didn't stop the clock. The lost seconds there were huge ...

Good point, we did get bent over on that one. I had almost forgotten that play. When you really think about it, we got off a good 6 plays or so in that last 1:30, just couldn't get any big yards. If Bravo-Brown could have come up with that one pass, it would have been huge.

I am pretty sure the rule on that is if you are pushed out of bounds the clock stops, but if your forward progress is stopped and in the process of being tackled end up out of bounds the clock continues to run.  Not 100% sure, but I am also not sure anyone on our side of the ball new the rule at the time either.  In real-time it looked to be the right call.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Hatter, I find myself agreeing with you. BJ's problem has never been physical, it is always mental. When he got off track earlier this season, it was because he threw a few picks and then he freaked and started trying to catch up, which made him play worse.He can't handle stress, not a good trait for a QB. He looked like hell out there tonite. At the half he had completed 7 passes for 24 yds. And that was his good half. Our problem is that we have no, or very little backup. Eveld has looked good when he has come in but he  is a walk on, Gunsby isn't ready yet(no sense to ruin him too and CJL left us with precious little else. This year QB class is self destructing. Floyd went 1-9 this year and Stevie Weatherford has been voted most likely to see prison time by the yearbook committee. We need a savior to rise from E-street, maybe Josh or Jacoby.

• Content Count:  174
  • Days Won:  0

I know one thing... it doesn't require a medical degree, to watch another human being trying to play through pain... been there done that.. the constant throbbing, the movement you take to protect it, favor it, causes a distraction it eats at your concentration... It throws off your fellow players as they're used to your game play... Long story short, the brace should of been used to see if it helped him and prevented further injury, it looked like it was hindrance because he was limping more and more.... My opinion, he should of been pulled, even if the back up came in and lost.... we lost anyway... BJ could of been hurt worse, season ending even career ending..... I realize he wasn't the only one who's game was off.... But, he controlled the ball play.....  Ya.. I know the Coach calls the ball play..    Just Saying ;D

:gobulls  THE SEASON ISN'T OVER  :gobulls        ~U~ "GO BULLS" ~U~

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

:soapbox

I know I'm what 6 pages late to the crap party but let me try and catch up... BJD cost us this game, we could had MAYBE won, BJD dicked around out there like a freaking douche bag ass hole that got distracted by a butterfly or some other shiny freaking object.

Hey BJD if you read this... its called spiking the ******* ball you dumb-ass...

I don't want to hear the "turf toe crapola", unless the part of his brain is in his hurt toe.

I know the season is not over, we can still make the Champs, but there is no excuse for the **** that occurred at the end of this game...

:2cents

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Hatter, I find myself agreeing with you. BJ's problem has never been physical, it is always mental. When he got off track earlier this season, it was because he threw a few picks and then he freaked and started trying to catch up, which made him play worse.He can't handle stress, not a good trait for a QB. He looked like hell out there tonite. At the half he had completed 7 passes for 24 yds. And that was his good half. Our problem is that we have no, or very little backup. Eveld has looked good when he has come in but he  is a walk on, Gunsby isn't ready yet(no sense to ruin him too and CJL left us with precious little else. This year QB class is self destructing. Floyd went 1-9 this year and Stevie Weatherford has been voted most likely to see prison time by the yearbook committee. We need a savior to rise from E-street, maybe Josh or Jacoby.

i have no idea how some big time QB recruits aren't salivating over the opportunity to come to USF and play QB with little competition after your freshman year...

lets be honest... when a recruit goes to a big time school in FL they usually have a pipeline already in place... No recruit is going to go into FSU and play next season or the season after(Manual), nobody is going into UM and playing (Morris), I doubt the driskel kid that is committed to UF will play in his first year though he might...

Best opportunity to become a star at QB is at USF

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Hatter, I find myself agreeing with you. bj daniels problem has never been physical, it is always mental. When he got off track earlier this season, it was because he threw a few picks and then he freaked and started trying to catch up, which made him play worse.He can't handle stress, not a good trait for a QB. He looked like hell out there tonite. At the half he had completed 7 passes for 24 yds. And that was his good half. Our problem is that we have no, or very little backup. Eveld has looked good when he has come in but he  is a walk on, Gunsby isn't ready yet(no sense to ruin him too and CJL left us with precious little else. This year QB class is self destructing. Floyd went 1-9 this year and Stevie Weatherford has been voted most likely to see prison time by the yearbook committee. We need a savior to rise from E-street, maybe Josh or Jacoby.

i have no idea how some big time QB recruits aren't salivating over the opportunity to come to USF and play QB with little competition after your freshman year...

lets be honest... when a recruit goes to a big time school in FL they usually have a pipeline already in place... No recruit is going to go into FSU and play next season or the season after(Manual), nobody is going into UM and playing (Morris), I doubt the driskel kid that is committed to UF will play in his first year though he might...

Best opportunity to become a star at QB is at USF

Dan Marino would have a hard time being a star QB with this WR corps. We get Sterling back next year, but lose Bogan. Maybe we get Love back, but the WR position isn't looking to be vastly improved.

At the QB position, I really like Gunsby, but I am not ready to give up on BJ yet (though I was after the WVU game). Should be an interesting off season. Gunsby should get a lot of reps during bowl prep and have a chance to show the coaches something (like Grothe did before the MCCB). If anyone is going to take the position next year, my guess is it will be Gunsby.

• Content Count:  3,475

Obviously Daniels missed some open receivers, but if you think USF's receivers were "open a lot," then you must have been watching some other game.

The ***** passing game is just as much the result of crappy receiver play as it is crappy quarterback play. More, I'd say. I think an overthrown ball is more excusable than dropping a ball that hits you in the hands or chest, and I saw a similar number of both (bad throws and no-catches).

We are starting guys that we never thought would see the field as wide receivers.  When Evan Landi is going to the ground to make catches and coming up with half of them I am OK with that.  Our receiving play hasn't been great, but the reality is with decent QB play we have at most one loss this season!  I am certainly still a BJ supporter, and I even think he may develop into a much better QB than most think, but this year, he has been miserable.

Just because there's a reason the receiver play has sucked doesn't mean it's all Daniels' fault. The fact is improvement at any number of positions, including running back and offensive line, could have meant a totally different season for USF. A better running game against Pitt is what was needed more than a better passing game, in my opinion. Daniels and his receiving corps produced about as much as we could have hoped for from them (minus the dropped passes), in my opinion, but besides the Mitchell touchdown, the running game was largely a non-factor. And that confused me, because the team was ripping of five or six yards at a time on first down during the first quarter.

Daniels was losing games for USF early in the season because he kept turning the ball over. So he stopped turning the ball over, and USF started winning. Today, he didn't turn the ball over, threw for more yards than he did last week and actually would have had way more if you took into account all the pass interference penalties. He's not going to throw for 300 yards and three touchdowns against a decent defense, so as long as he's at quarterback USF is going to have to be able to win when he plays the way he did today.

I do agree with you that I think it's at least possible Daniels comes back next year a better passer than he is this year. Or at least, I think Holtz can come back next year with a better idea of how to gameplan around him. Perhaps I'm just foolishly optimistic, but then I don't think I'd enjoy watching very much if I thought the team was doomed to suck.

In any case, anyone who expected Daniels to do anymore than he did today had unrealistic expectations.

Some of the balls that looked overthrown I also think can be explained by poor route-running or communication. On at least a couple, it just looked to me like the receiver went somewhere other than where Daniels was expecting (that can be a screw-up by either of them, we have no way of knowing).

If that is the case then I suggest we fire the OC, cause he has designed routes that have receivers running into the first row!

There were definitely passes by Daniels that fell onto the field because receivers cut a different direction. Your hyperbole doesn't prove anything.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

if BJ was 100% healthy i think we win this game

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

exhibit A: lamar being WIDE open near the south 20yrd line and bj throwing it over his dome.

The sheer shock of seeing someone besides Bogan or Landi that open threw his timing off ....

SOmething I haven't seen mentioned was, in that clusterfuck of the final minutes, the complete pass on the far side line where the receiver was pushed out of bounds but they didn't stop the clock. The lost seconds there were huge ...

Good point, we did get bent over on that one. I had almost forgotten that play. When you really think about it, we got off a good 6 plays or so in that last 1:30, just couldn't get any big yards. If Bravo-Brown could have come up with that one pass, it would have been huge.

I am pretty sure the rule on that is if you are pushed out of bounds the clock stops, but if your forward progress is stopped and in the process of being tackled end up out of bounds the clock continues to run.  Not 100% sure, but I am also not sure anyone on our side of the ball new the rule at the time either.  In real-time it looked to be the right call.

Just watched the recording and if that is indeed the specific rule, it was the right call ..

• Content Count:  10,369

Just watched the recording and if that is indeed the specific rule, it was the right call ..

I am fairly certain that is the rule, but surprised no one has chimed in (we usually have some pretty knowledgeable people when it comes to rules).  If forward progress is stopped prior to going out of bounds then the clock doesn't stop, even if you are forced out of bounds.

Sadly, best link I could find is to a guide for officiating youth football (and this was after finding many sites that simply say "if the ball goes out of bounds, clock stops").  Still, I think this rule is consistent from youth leagues through NFL.

http://www.usafootball.com/articles/displayArticle/5666/4884

Archived