• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

at the end of the day who is prohibiting our offense?

holtz or bj

Neither, the guys covering Bogan are limiting us because the rest of our WRs give themselves a good dose of self coverage.

Im not down on BJ after this one. Every QB misses some throws, but when he makes the throws on third down and his guys drop the passes, it's hard to pin it all on him. He also looks like he is in some serious pain out there.

As for clock management...the scoreboard was wrong, I bet BJ thought that they had another timeout. He was probably getting coached when the defense called 2, then when he stepped on the field, he looked at the scoreboard and saw 2, so, assumed that the defense only had to use 1. The coaches need to make him aware of how many there are. I think he was yelling because he expected that a timeout had been called. The checkdown pass hurt, but why is that route even there?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

at the end of the day who is prohibiting our offense?

holtz or bj

Neither, the guys covering Bogan are limiting us because the rest of our WRs give themselves a good dose of self coverage.

Im not down on BJ after this one. Every QB misses some throws, but when he makes the throws on third down and his guys drop the passes, it's hard to pin it all on him. He also looks like he is in some serious pain out there.

As for clock management...the scoreboard was wrong, I bet BJ thought that they had another timeout. He was probably getting coached when the defense called 2, then when he stepped on the field, he looked at the scoreboard and saw 2, so, assumed that the defense only had to use 1. The coaches need to make him aware of how many there are. I think he was yelling because he expected that a timeout had been called. The checkdown pass hurt, but why is that route even there?

guys are open... BJ missed on multiple occasions.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

They seem to be open a lot, the ball is just 2' behind them or 7' over their head.  Worst part is a lot of what we have put in is kind of geared to compensate for the inaccuracy, short screens or quick slant type stuff.  The trouble is the success of these plays is predicated on the receiver being able to catch the ball and get down field.  When the pass forces him to go to the ground to make the catch we turn a potential first down play into a 1 or 2 yard gain!

I am not saying our receivers are world class right now, we all realize we are thing there.  But the fact is the passes taht we are trying to throw are open, we aren't asking BJ to even make many reads.  He is a great QB and I truly hope he grows into the system.  I think what he can do with his feat makes him a real threat if we can ever get control of his arm and make MUCH better decisions. 

exhibit A: lamar being WIDE open near the south 20yrd line and bj throwing it over his dome.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,657

BJ just seems off with his passing this year - seems to overthrow and underthrow a lot more than last year.  Plus he is not on the same page as the WRs.  Don't know if they are running the wrong routes or BJ gets confused.  I just cringe when we hand off to Murray.  I know he had 2 runs over 5 yards today, but just not very productive.

• Content Count:  3,475

exhibit A: lamar being WIDE open near the south 20yrd line and bj throwing it over his dome.

There are plenty of examples of wide receivers dropping passes they should have caught as well. I'm not sure what you're arguing - is there anybody here who thinks BJ Daniels doesn't make too many bad throws? Who are you arguing with?

The point is, the receivers also suck. In fact, despite Daniels, this game was still very winnable, if it weren't for a dropped bomb that hit Bravo-Brown right in the chest and an embarrassing drop on a screen pass by Murray with a HUGE open space in front of him.

If you're arguing that BJ Daniels is the only player on the offense playing like ****, then you are absolutely and totally wrong.

They seem to be open a lot, the ball is just 2' behind them or 7' over their head.

Obviously Daniels missed some open receivers, but if you think USF's receivers were "open a lot," then you must have been watching some other game.

The ****** passing game is just as much the result of crappy receiver play as it is crappy quarterback play. More, I'd say. I think an overthrown ball is more excusable than dropping a ball that hits you in the hands or chest, and I saw a similar number of both (bad throws and no-catches).

Some of the balls that looked overthrown I also think can be explained by poor route-running or communication. On at least a couple, it just looked to me like the receiver went somewhere other than where Daniels was expecting (that can be a screw-up by either of them, we have no way of knowing).

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I guess what makes me happy is that...5 weeks ago, he wasn't even seeing that guy open. Now, he's missing him with the throw. That throw, is a bit more difficult than it looks. Lamar was open, but, Daniels is happiest with zipping the ball in there, he had to throw over a defender on that play, and his touch is not there yet. I mentioned this in another thread, but, touch and accuracy issues are what I expect from a sophomore QB. Issues reading the defense (as bad as he was vs Cuse/WVU), bad QB play. To me, his reads have improved 1000%, yes, still accuracy is an issue.

My buddy and I were talking about this on our drive home, BJ alays throws off of his back foot, which leads to the inaccuracy. I have to wonder how much the turf toe is limiting him there, maybe he just can't push off?... Or his mechanics need a lot of work, but that's fixable, throwing to covered guys while others are wide open is more difficult to fix.

...oh my Jesus, I just saw Christian Ponder lead his receiver by 5' too far, he sucks!

I guess what makes me happy is that...5 weeks ago, he wasn't even seeing that guy open. Now, he's missing him with the throw. That throw, is a bit more difficult than it looks. Lamar was open, but, Daniels is happiest with zipping the ball in there, he had to throw over a defender on that play, and his touch is not there yet. I mentioned this in another thread, but, touch and accuracy issues are what I expect from a sophomore QB. Issues reading the defense (as bad as he was vs Cuse/WVU), bad QB play. To me, his reads have improved 1000%, yes, still accuracy is an issue.

My buddy and I were talking about this on our drive home, BJ alays throws off of his back foot, which leads to the inaccuracy. I have to wonder how much the turf toe is limiting him there, maybe he just can't push off?... Or his mechanics need a lot of work, but that's fixable, throwing to covered guys while others are wide open is more difficult to fix.

...oh my Jesus, I just saw Christian Ponder lead his receiver by 5' too far, he sucks!

doesnt have turf toe

My buddy and I were talking about this on our drive home, BJ alays throws off of his back foot, which leads to the inaccuracy. I have to wonder how much the turf toe is limiting him there, maybe he just can't push off?

BJ Daniels has been throwing off his back foot since his first start against Florida State last year. How that habit has survived two coaching staffs and eight conference losses is beyond me.

Archived