• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF verbal Darrell Williams

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Don't get me wrong, Darrell seems to be a really good get, but we have some glaring holes at some skill positions and we don't seem to be gaining much ground. We need a couple of WR's minimum in this class and 2 or 3 DL's. I also think we need a couple of talented prospects at CB/S. We seem to be stuck on signing LB's and OL's. I just want to see some balance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Orlando Evans OT Darrell Williams commits to USF

By Chris Hays | Orlando Sentinel

11:00 p.m. EST, November 10, 2010

Orlando Evans offensive tackle Darrell Williams is finally relieved to have his recruiting process completed.

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Williams committed to USF last week but was official Wednesday when he received his paperwork in the mail.

"Yep, I Just got my forms back today so I'm trying to give everybody a ring back who had called me before," Williams said. "It's close to home and I'm comfortable with the coaching staff and I just pretty much liked everything I saw."

While many considered Florida State to be the team to beat, USF had been the front-runner for most of Williams' recruitment.

"USF had been at the top since early on in the summer," Williams said. "They kept telling me they had one spot left and so I kept trying to see my options and I finally decided it was time for me to commit."

Williams joins fellow metro-Orlando offensive tackle Max Lang as a Bulls' 2011 commitment. He was also recruited heavily by South Carolina, Florida State and NC State. Williams said he had an offer from UCF, but "but didn't really talk to me that much."

Now Williams, who is ranked No. 17 in the Sentinel's 2011 Central Florida Super60 can just concentrate on his senior year. The 1-8 Trojans finish the season against Apopka on Friday.

"I don't have to worry about it anymore," Williams said of the recruiting process. "Now I just gotta keep my grades up and finish year strong and get in weight room and then start my college career."

Williams had come along a bit under the radar, but he credits head coach Carl Holden and former head coach Greg Thomas for his exposure.

"It's been a long process," he said. "I just did what I had to do along with my coaches pushing for me so that's how I got all my exposure. My former coach, coach Thompson, pushed for me a lot and called a lot of people, and then coach Holden kept contact with a lot of schools. They did a lot for me."

Williams said he will play either tackle or guard along the USF offensive front.

"It depends on how I develop," he said. "I want to get bulked up, but get bulked up the right way not just eat a lot and have all that bad weight on me and then show up and they say I gotta lose all this weight. I will have them help me bulk up the right way."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-evans-ot-darrell-williams-to-usf-1110,0,3265208.story

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound Williams committed to USF last week but was official Wednesday when he received his paperwork in the mail.

"Yep, I Just got my forms back today so I'm trying to give everybody a ring back who had called me before," Williams said.

I guess I'm not real familiar with the process but what paperwork is required in a verbal declaration of an intent to sign?

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I am not sure what he is talking about except he is referring to the actual written scholarship offer or the official letter of intent form, but it seems too early for the LOI to be sent.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Don't really understand signing another OL. As bad as we need DL and WR in this recruiting class, I am really surprised that we took another  OL Seems to be a really unbalanced recruiting class, hope it doesn't finish that way.

I think that is an indication that the coaching staff doesn't really like what is behind the starters right now.

• Content Count:  578
  • Days Won:  0

Maybe I have a fuzzy memory but I can't ever remember putting such an emphasis on a big, solid OL. It seems like the most important piece to a functional offense and we've never seemed to get it done in recruiting. This guy has nice offers and we took him out of Orlando -- feels good. Hopefully we can finish out with some good WR's.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We are thing at OL in depth and talent and had horrible OL Coaching up until the staff changeover so the emphasis on OL really doesn't surprise me one bit. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

Don't really understand signing another OL. ...

Too many variables ... let's load up. Remember, we are going to be more of a running team than before. Different OL's

• Content Count:  2,523

You put in a great OL and it makes EVERYONE on the offense better.  Having talented skill players doesn't matter if they are dodging people in the backfield, QBs can't get set and the WRs don't have long enough to run most sophisticated routes.  Holtz is building it the right now.  Run the ball and stop the run and you win.  We have to give this time and OL is the first place to start. 

• Content Count:  763

You put in a great OL and it makes EVERYONE on the offense better.  Having talented skill players doesn't matter if they are dodging people in the backfield, QBs can't get set and the WRs don't have long enough to run most sophisticated routes.  Holtz is building it the right now.  Run the ball and stop the run and you win.  We have to give this time and OL is the first place to start. 

Well said.

Now that the O-Line is locked up for this signing class, we can all look forward to commits from WR, D Line and maybe CB for the remaining slots.

Archived